Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Re: Ask!

Post by Silentcook »

OremLK wrote:Yeah, I was referring to the stuffed penguin here. Seemed like it must've been placed there intentionally. More idle curiosity than anything else, since she doesn't seem to have many possessions whatsoever.
Well, first of all, to prevent any wild speculation in this direction... none of us is a Linux fan or user, far as I know, so no OMG TTLY A LINUX EASTER EGG.

That aside, no idea. I suppose it's technically a mistake, especially considering the path and scene leading to that CG. Gdi, Moekki. :p
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Steinherz wrote: How come this one isn't on the Shimmie?
I mean, there's other bits of artwork featuring the Devs. Hell, there's a whole tag for y'all on the Shimmie.
We're camera shy. :oops:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Silentcook wrote:
I mean, there's other bits of artwork featuring the Devs. Hell, there's a whole tag for y'all on the Shimmie.
.... why do I take that as "one of us forgot about it until just now"? :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Because you take things the way you want to, rather than at face value.

ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Silentcook wrote:
You just don't want to moderate the sudden Misha-shitstorm when they figure out who you are in that picture...
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

I feel like it's been asked before but...

Do you guys ever feel like doing something more with KS? Especially after the sudden surge of interest in the later half of 2014? I mean hell I'm surprised that 4chan itself still talks about KS to this day as much as reddit and here on the official fourms, It feels like a bit of life has been breathed in. Or have you fully just washed your hands of it, Only supporting it in minor patches/updates?

ALSO

I remember hearing about a Japanese translation, Is that ever going to come to life? I remember hearing that Japanese people saw "Cripple girls" and like...IMMEDIATELY wrote off the game, Which is a shame beacause I have a feeling they'd like it if they could understand how well written and delicately handled it is.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

I don't particularly get any KS impulses, and when I do I remember that there's at least two dozen more interesting things I could spend my time on instead. That's pretty much the fundamental problem with "making more KS". I never say never, but it's pretty unlikely I'd want to seriously craft more KS.

And yeah, the Japanese translation is complete and is going to be released pretty soon.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Atario

Post by Atario »

The fact that such a large percentage of people get Emi as their first heroine seems to hinge on following the nurse's orders getting them there. Was this intended? I.e., to make Emi a kind of baseline-setting "first girl"? Or was this tendency a surprise to the devs?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

I believe that is because telling the Nurse that you will be careful and do your exercises and then trying to beat Emi in a race, you're automatically in her route. And, honestly, everyone tells that the Nurse. Telling him otherwise it's kind of a jerk move. And, at least me, can't turn down a challenge, so of course I tried to beat Emi :P

I'm fairly sure it went the same way for most people.
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

Emi requires the fewest correct choices to get.

I actually did the calculations once, and Emi is the most likely of the girls if you guess randomly at every point (Kenji is more likely then everyone else put together though). The fact that less than half the people say they got Kenji the first time suggests that people either choose non randomly or are liars.

For what it's worth, I got Kenji my first time, but I was trying for Lilly.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Atario wrote:The fact that such a large percentage of people get Emi as their first heroine seems to hinge on following the nurse's orders getting them there. Was this intended? I.e., to make Emi a kind of baseline-setting "first girl"? Or was this tendency a surprise to the devs?
I don't think it was intentional, but then again I've been wrong before. In theory, the choices were there to sort of allow players to decide what they wanted Hisao's attitude to be--if he wanted to face it down and try to beat it through exercise, he'd land Emi. If he wanted to mope, he'd wind up with the other girls--or Kenji. We did intend to make Rin a little harder to get than the rest, though.

Or I'm spouting nonsense (I've been known to do that). When it came to figuring out what choices would result in which girl, I didn't provide much in the way of input beyond "if you decide to be athletic you'll wind up on Emi's path."
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Atario wrote:The fact that such a large percentage of people get Emi as their first heroine seems to hinge on following the nurse's orders getting them there. Was this intended? I.e., to make Emi a kind of baseline-setting "first girl"? Or was this tendency a surprise to the devs?
You could say it was somewhat intended. Definitely wasn't a surprise. While working on Act 1, I did a fair bit of behaviour and statistics based analysis on how the choices laid out Act 1 lead in to the routes, to see if the design worked as intended. The model was very rough, but correctly predicted many of the audience's tendencies, such as Emi Route and the Bad End being by far the most "popular" Act 1 outcomes. Emi is the most common route to get because it's the most probable route to get AND the choices that lead to it are ones that readers are more likely to choose.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I'm certain that somebody already did this calculation before, but I just can't find the post, so I just redid the calculation:
The probabilities to get a certain Act I ending by randomly choosing your answers is as follows:

Kenji: 37,5%
Rin: 30,6%
Emi: 23,9%
Shizune: 3,5%
Lilly: 2,3%
Hanako: 2,3%

After Lunch Evolution Theory you will have a chance of a bit more than 18% each to have gained a flag for Shizune respectively Lilly/Hanako path. I.e. 63% chance you won't be able to get on either.
Both chances are again halved in Cold War since you have to pick the same path again - or you will be left with nothing but Emi's or Rin's path.
For Lilly and Hanako you have a 50% chance to split to Kenji's path after that and after that 50% to get to either Lilly's or Hanako's ending.
For Shizune you also have a 50% chance to get the deep end and then - depending on earlier choices - a smaller chance to get back on Emi's path, so Shizune is a bit more likely than Hanako/Lilly.
For Emi you have a 82% chance to not be on either Lilly/Hanako or Shizune path after Cold War. Then you have two 50% choices (down to 20,4%) to get her ending plus the small percentage to get her ending via Shizune's path.
For Rin you get the remaining 61% of the Emi/Rin path divided by two for a Kenji split.
Kenji gets the rest.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

Someone was bound to ask about this sooner or later and it might as well be me:

Aura, the developer of the upcoming visual novel For When the Bells Toll just announced that you've given him permission to give Hanako a cameo appearance in his game. Considering this is a VN with a much darker tone than KS'--the dev blog cites "cruel violence and gore" in it's content warnings, and the two main characters are described as a hardcore sadist and a hardcore masochist--should Hanako fans be concerned about how she will be used in the game? I can't speak for anyone else, but a Lovecraft-inspired horror romance is waaayyy at the bottom of my list of places that I would hope to see timid, emotionally-scarred Hanako appear.

Please say something that will calm my imagination, which is running wild with outlandish ideas of how this could suck. :|
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

There should be no cause for concern. I gave permission to use Hanako in a fictional poster in one of the background illustrations of the game. Hanako the character will not appear.