Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
brythain

Re: Ask!

Post by brythain » Thu May 01, 2014 10:23 am

:D I'm perfectly aware those were an April Fool's joke. I was just wondering if the joke had any roots in 'reality', though. Thanks for the clarifications!
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind » Thu May 01, 2014 9:23 pm

unseencamel wrote:
TheHivemind wrote: (not counting whimsical changes to character sexuality, which never showed up in the finished product).
Could you elaborate on this?
You know when you've been writing a story, and you think to yourself "yeah, I think it makes sense that this character would be bisexual," but then you also realize that there's no way to bring it up or show it without it being A Thing that would probably distract players from the story you're trying to tell, because who cares if she's bisexual (answer: some of the audience probably does, and will argue ways to show that she wasn't really bisexual, just curious, or there's no way he could be gay, because that's for some reason terrifying for a lot of dudes to consider (or in the case of poor Misha, will argue that she couldn't really be an out-and-out lesbian, because that means that I as a dude have no shot with this imaginary girl, so I will ignore what she says and call her bisexual), and go on to possibly miss the point entirely), it doesn't have really anything to do with anything?

Basically like that--the sexuality of most of the characters never really comes up--so what's the point of pulling a Dumbledore and being like "oh by the way the whole time I was writing Muto I was thinking of how he's probably gay" or something like that (FULL DISCLOSURE: I did not actually think of Muto as gay, although if you want to look hard at the way Tennant's Doctor flirts with Captain Jack and pretend that's relevant to the discussion, feel free). It adds nothing to the narrative, it's just a bullet point to put on TV Tropes--hooray, we ticked the box for "CLOSET CASE" or "FAUXMOSEXUAL" or whatever the fuck category they decide to shoehorn it in. Stuck under WORD OF GOD, because I typed it up just now on this message board.

EDIT: Jesus that came off a bit angry, didn't it? The long and short of it is that it wasn't important to the plot to outright state characters' sexuality (well, apart from Misha), so whatever I imagined while writing them isn't really important.

Oddball

Post by Oddball » Thu May 01, 2014 9:26 pm

So, what you're saying is that Nomiya is bisexual?

:wink:
Not Dead Yet

Potato

Post by Potato » Thu May 01, 2014 9:31 pm

Kon22 wrote:Or why Emi's sex face and angry's face are the same.
This seems like a valid question. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix » Thu May 01, 2014 10:15 pm

TheHivemind wrote:EDIT: Jesus that came off a bit angry, didn't it?
Slightly. Maybe deservedly so.

Just so you know though, I really was under the impression at the time that nobody would be depressed enough to take it from somebody they weren't attracted to, and I also didn't think that "I like girls" = "I only like girls" so even if I was flawed with my logic, my intentions were a lot better with my recent topic than "lel but I want Pink Loud durhurr" and I wasn't just flat out ignoring what she was saying.

She is the one character where her sexuality would totally change the context of a scene, and it's left vague exactly what it is.
Last edited by SpunkySix on Fri May 02, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

Grimnir

Post by Grimnir » Thu May 01, 2014 10:37 pm

TheHivemind wrote:Basically like that--the sexuality of most of the characters never really comes up--so what's the point of pulling a Dumbledore and being like "oh by the way the whole time I was writing Muto I was thinking of how he's probably gay" or something like that (FULL DISCLOSURE: I did not actually think of Muto as gay, although if you want to look hard at the way Tennant's Doctor flirts with Captain Jack and pretend that's relevant to the discussion, feel free). It adds nothing to the narrative, it's just a bullet point to put on TV Tropes--hooray, we ticked the box for "CLOSET CASE" or "FAUXMOSEXUAL" or whatever the fuck category they decide to shoehorn it in. Stuck under WORD OF GOD, because I typed it up just now on this message board.
That is fandom in a nutshell nowadays.
As soon as you let two charakters shake hands, the fans will find a way to ship them. That is proven in several fanfics and fanarts in ANY universe.
I don't get that and I can understand if the writer of said charakters would be pissed off.

What would Bram Stoker say if he read that Dracula was giving a blowjob to Abraham Van Helsing?
Probably: "The fuck? I don't even."
Misha: "Oh, Hi, I'm Misha and this is my hetero-life-mate, Silent Shicchan."

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook » Fri May 02, 2014 4:15 am

Peeps, this thread is to a large degree a "WTF I don't even". :mrgreen:
Shattering your dreams since '94.

d2r

Post by d2r » Fri May 02, 2014 4:25 am

Silentcook wrote:Peeps, this forum is to a large degree a "WTF I don't even". :mrgreen:
Fixed that for you. :wink:
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?

KlunK

Post by KlunK » Tue May 06, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi, I want to add to the page of Katawa Shoujo on the italian wikipedia an "official" image that rapresent the game. Something like this one. Is there something like that? Or that one in bigger resolution?

And more important, the staff want to give the autorization to make the use on it.wiki possibile?
My power is as vast as the plains, my strength is that of mountain. Each wave that crashes upon the shore thunders like blood in my veins - Memories of Dakkon Blackblade

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook » Tue May 06, 2014 1:02 pm

Mishimmie image #438
Big enough? :mrgreen:

We have no "official" cover art to the game, so I suppose this one could be as good as any. Or you could go look up the release blogpost. :)
Shattering your dreams since '94.

Duper

Post by Duper » Thu May 08, 2014 10:31 pm

Hi!, 2 quick questions.
What's the first name of Emi's dad? I saw it the other day and I've spent the last 2 days scouring the net to find it again with no luck.
What's the Japanese equivalent of "nana".

Thanks all!

bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr » Fri May 09, 2014 5:17 am

Duper wrote:What's the first name of Emi's dad? I saw it the other day and I've spent the last 2 days scouring the net to find it again with no luck.
Silentcook answered it here: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... 93#p185793
Silentcook wrote:It probably was 健一 (Kenichi), because I do remember choosing something starting with 健, because I can't resist being a bastard. :roll:
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!

Reyhan

Post by Reyhan » Fri May 09, 2014 1:39 pm

How many of you guys are K-ON fans? :wink:
Emi Shizune Lilly Rin Hanako

tumblr

Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen » Fri May 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Reyhan wrote:How many of you guys are K-ON fans? :wink:
This ain't the topic for that I'm afraid, mate...
but oh god yes
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon

Reyhan

Post by Reyhan » Fri May 09, 2014 2:07 pm

Munchenhausen wrote:
Reyhan wrote:How many of you guys are K-ON fans? :wink:
This ain't the topic for that I'm afraid, mate...
but oh god yes
How is it not? It's a question for the devs :?:
Emi Shizune Lilly Rin Hanako

tumblr