Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
Atario

Re: Ask!

Post by Atario » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:11 am

Silentcook wrote:
Atario wrote:At the peak of development activity, what percentage of a 40-hour work week would you say you put in on the project?
The peak of development activity for me was the December immediately preceding release. That month saw approximately a 175% percentage put in. Not something I'd exactly enjoy repeating.
Jeesh. The whole month?? Can't say I'd blame you…
Odd choice for an unit of measure, by the way... :?:
It's a pretty standard situation for most workin' stiffs.
Aura wrote:
Comrade wrote:Whats with the ugly ass portraits in Yamaku hallways?
What about them? They're just an eyecatching background feature.
Are they part of the actual location photographed, or were they created and inserted specifically for the game?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:14 am

The latter. We wanted a way to visually separate the different corridor backgrounds from each other.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Man those portraits are fucking gorgeous, what are you talking about "ugly-ass."

Kon22

Post by Kon22 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:23 pm

At some part of the project did you feel like "Oh, just put that there. Let's finish this"? More like, rushed something? Just a question. Not that anything in the final release feels rushed. But with a work so extensive, well, I guess something like that might happen.

Also, some of the "side stories" that appear in some routes. Like, Kenji stealing books and Yuuko's boyfriend. At some point did you intended to finish them, or they are already finished? Like, are they there just for giving some clues/background story and nothing more?

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:12 pm

Of course. With the combined amount of attention to detail and perfectionist propensities we have and the gigantic amounts of material KS has, there was no way we could fine-tune every single thing to perfect or always even decent satisfaction. Art in general often tends to be like that, more or less.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"

Kon22

Post by Kon22 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:36 am

Not suggesting or asking to show, as I already know what your answer would be, but, there are any unused sprites in the game?

I was thinking, since Lilly has one where she's backwards (Looking away from the player/Hisao) and is the only girl to have one like this. So, maybe you got a number of sprites for each girl since the beggining and worked with them, or you just got a new one when it was needed for a specific scene.

Since, I guess, drawing them is no easy task, the second option sounds a lot more reasonable. But then, I don't know anything about making VNs.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:03 am

There's an entire unused outfit set for one of the characters. Some artists drew some silly expressions on some characters that weren't really meant to be used as well, just for fun.

Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:22 am

Are you talking about Rin? I recall hearing that the casual outfit she wore in the "Katawa Shoujo Released" picture was meant to be used, but there was never an occasion where it was really needed.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:45 am

Yeah Rin but we actually just cut the use case out.

voidrider

Any "making of" for the cinematic animations?

Post by voidrider » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:15 pm

I am curious about the creation process behind the short cinematic animations that play for each girl at the beginning of their separate routes. Which software was used in their creation, any special techniques? I would like to go down that path but I'm not really sure where to start. Any help on the matter would be tremendously appreciated. :mrgreen:

My favorite: Rin's.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Any "making of" for the cinematic animations?

Post by Aura » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:19 am

No making ofs, but the software Mike uses are nothing special; photoshop, after effects, 3dsmax. If you want to try your hand at animation, you can easily find tutorials on the internet.

Atario

Post by Atario » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:56 am

Have any of the devs ever met AFK, or has it always been 100% Internet-mediated? If the former, how did it go?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Sure. Two of us are siblings, another two are real-life friends from before KS and there's been a bunch of people meeting each other when the geographical circumstances have allowed. I don't belong to any of the above, so can't relate any experiences.

questioning

Post by questioning » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:36 pm

should one use the measurements listed on the official site to draw a bust chart?
what about characters who are not listed or not accurate on the official site? what are their measurements?

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:51 pm

Yeah, why not?

The question of accuracy concerns what you think reality is. Some numbers I pull out of my ass? The images our artists drew that can't be measured? What if they are conflicting? The numbers on the website weren't very deeply thought about and used to be literally randomized, except for heights, so it's arguable whether they have any meaning at all. They're the best you'll ever get though, so use them for the chart.