Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
Cereal_Guy_Dan

Re: Ask!

Post by Cereal_Guy_Dan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:37 am

Aura wrote:Hisao for sure is imperfect with these things, and drops the ball many times during the story.

It's pretty questionable to call our crap "additional material". The stuff out there is mostly just random things we wrote for laughs, or because we talked about something outlandish, or were drinking alone on a Tuesday night. Just search the fanfiction subforum for topics started by 4LS members, and you'll find weird shit like these.
One of things i enjoy most about the story is that you've all written Hisao fairly fallible. Many similar stories feature a protagonist who always knows what to say/do/what gifts to give/etc. Real life is making assumptions and being completely wrong sometimes - and often learning the most from those instances.

Thanks for the heads up for the er.. other stuff. In some of these the best part is trying to gauge the moment the story will go from "seems legit" to "it seems unlikely he could fit that many marshmallows in there - and it's wildly inappropriate, regardless" (for example).

ArcCain

Post by ArcCain » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:11 pm

After you get Hanakos good ending, dose the same stuff that happens in Lilly´s story happen, but now Hanako is together whit Hisao, aka, she get´s more involved whit other people, joins a club, they go on the trip to Lilly´s place?
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer find ways around them.

Tang

Post by Tang » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:08 am

These questions have likely been pondered many times in the past, but I haven't seen it, and I'm quite interested.

1. Who managed the software framework for collaborating on one folder of Ren'Py files and game resources?
2. What software was used to synchronize everyone's work? Could multiple people work on one file at a time? Was it free?
3. Did you guys bother updating the version of the Ren'Py engine used during the many years of development?
(Lilly <> Emi) > Hanako = Rin > Shizune

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:57 am

Tang wrote:These questions have likely been pondered many times in the past, but I haven't seen it, and I'm quite interested.

1. Who managed the software framework for collaborating on one folder of Ren'Py files and game resources?
2. What software was used to synchronize everyone's work? Could multiple people work on one file at a time? Was it free?
3. Did you guys bother updating the version of the Ren'Py engine used during the many years of development?
1. Delta, although that hardly required managing.
2. Subversion. Yes, multiple people could work on one file simultaneously, this is one of the core features of any version control system. It's free.
3. For some time, yes. We started off with Ren'Py 6.3 or so (whatever was the most recent in summer 2007) and stopped updating at 6.10 after delta got too frustrated at spending literally months fixing stuff every update broke. It was just not worth it.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

Iwanakosonlyfanboy

Post by Iwanakosonlyfanboy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:20 pm

I know I asked like 2 questions already, But I just want to ask something, What did you think about Scarred: "Damaged Goods"? I read on Know Your Meme That Katawa Shoujo was inspired by that VN. I'm not sure if it's true. I'll just say, that was a depressing VN. I cried so many times during that VN. I just wanted to know what were your thoughts. If you read it I mean.

OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:37 pm

Iwanakosonlyfanboy wrote:Scarred: "Damaged Goods"
(I'm not a dev.)
I think the only resemblance is that they were both created by people from 4chan. :)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:30 am

Iwanakosonlyfanboy wrote:I know I asked like 2 questions already, But I just want to ask something, What did you think about Scarred: "Damaged Goods"? I read on Know Your Meme That Katawa Shoujo was inspired by that VN. I'm not sure if it's true. I'll just say, that was a depressing VN. I cried so many times during that VN. I just wanted to know what were your thoughts. If you read it I mean.
KS was not inspired by Damaged Goods.

Deathkeeperx

Post by Deathkeeperx » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:57 am

Hello, I am making a voiced play-through of Katawa Shoujo and I would like to ask for your permission to actually do it, and post the videos to youtube. As with your Creative Commons BY-NC-ND All we would be doing would be adding voices to the characters and then they would be uploaded to youtube with no monetization. We would not edit the original VN in any way. And of course all credit would go to 4LS.

~Death
This is a fancy sentence.

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Deathkeeperx wrote:Hello, I am making a voiced play-through of Katawa Shoujo and I would like to ask for your permission to actually do it, and post the videos to youtube. As with your Creative Commons BY-NC-ND All we would be doing would be adding voices to the characters and then they would be uploaded to youtube with no monetization. We would not edit the original VN in any way. And of course all credit would go to 4LS.

~Death
A bit late in asking, aren't you. :3 Permission granted, in the same way as the Katawa Seiyuu project which you link in your opening post. Be warned that there are at least three YouTube voiced play-through projects by now, including yours, and probably more.
Shattering your dreams since '94.

ArcCain

Post by ArcCain » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Is Misha a lesbian or bisexual?

neio

Post by neio » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Question for Aura:
You keep saying that the endings don't need to be labeled, but as far as I can tell, there's only one ending per arc in which music plays during the credits. Is it not fair to say that those are the Good endings?
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.

TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:12 pm

ArcCain wrote:Is Misha a lesbian or bisexual?
A lesbian.

ArcCain

Post by ArcCain » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:36 pm

I take it she felt confused or dose she just sleep whit Hisao to try and end his relationship whit Shizune?

TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:41 am

ArcCain wrote:I take it she felt confused or dose she just sleep whit Hisao to try and end his relationship whit Shizune?
A little from column A, a little from column B.

Carighan

Post by Carighan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:31 am

TheHivemind wrote:A little from column A, a little from column B.
Here goes my innocent Misha image... :'(
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.