Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Re: Ask!

Post by Guest »

Suriko wrote:
Guest wrote:The name of the dish that Lilly and Hisao order on their first date, "Provençal Tuna Salade Niçoise", is a made-up mix of incoherent foreign words that is said to be common in Japan (i.e. "Engrish" and the like). Was the name chosen to replicate this (supposedly) Japanese trend, or was it just a trivial enough detail that getting it right didn't matter?
It's a real salad. A Salade Niçoise, containing Tuna, from the Provençal region.
I know, in fact this detail piqued my interest only because I've been to Nice a few times, but the dish is simply called salade niçoise, and "tuna salad" would be "salade de thon" in French, which is why I figured that the odd muddle of French and English was supposed to remind the reader of the Japanese phenomenon I mentioned above. But I'll concede I read too much into this. Thank you for the answer!
kahafb

Post by kahafb »

What do you guys think that on gamefaqs KS is rated #3 on top PC games and #11 for all platforms? Also, I thought that the game was amazing, but I'm sad that you guys decided not to make another game. If you made a game that sold for money and was as good as this one I think you could make a lot of profit :) Couldn't you make another game even if it takes 10 years because you're doing other stuff and the game dev would be when you could?
Oh, this reminds me of a puzzle!

Rin=Lilly=Hanako>Emi>Every other character>Kenji>Shizune

Dislike Shizune a lot.
kidlat020

Post by kidlat020 »

to everyone involved in this project:

I'll assume that my previous question was buried so I'll just repost. What are your general reactions with the SOPA and PIPA?

4chan is definitely against it, with all their banners and whatnot.
TPB is... I think just acting unaffected.
megaupload definitely was hit hard.
wikipedia made a boycott act for I think 1 day

In the worst case scenario, KS will only be limited to a few countries. Or worse, it will trigger another "rapelay incident".

Post by Guest »

The SOPA/PIPA incident is over already. They're not passing.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Kanodin wrote:What do you guys / girls, think about all of the praise you're receiving from this? (reason I ask, as a member of the very first sound plugin team, for PCSX2, I know that it can be overwhelming, so I just want to know how you all feel) and

Does this make you all want to get back together and do another VN after taking a small break?
We're happy that people like the game, but no, it doesn't affect at least me either way as for another project. I'll work on another project if I feel like working on another project.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Akroma wrote:I have a question about the timeline.

In the Shizune path, they visit shizune's family after tanabata, over the summer. There, they meet Lilly.

In Lillies path, she moves back to scotland around the time Tanabata happens. Unless she only stayed in scotland for a very short while and immediatly goes on vacation in japan (alongside with akira no less), there would be no way for her to do meet shizune at her home.

Time paradox ?
The stories are full of timeline inconsistencies when compared to each other.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest wrote:What made you guys decide to have Iwanako write a letter to Hisao instead of having her either visit in person, or just never make a reappearance at all?
I wanted closure to her "subplot". She didn't visit Hisao because she didn't want to.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

kidlat020 wrote:to everyone involved in this project:

I'll assume that my previous question was buried so I'll just repost. What are your general reactions with the SOPA and PIPA?

4chan is definitely against it, with all their banners and whatnot.
TPB is... I think just acting unaffected.
megaupload definitely was hit hard.
wikipedia made a boycott act for I think 1 day

In the worst case scenario, KS will only be limited to a few countries. Or worse, it will trigger another "rapelay incident".
I think those pieces of legislation were not thought through very well, but I have no idea why you think either of them would affect KS in any way. Either way, it's rather off topic.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

kahafb wrote:What do you guys think that on gamefaqs KS is rated #3 on top PC games and #11 for all platforms? Also, I thought that the game was amazing, but I'm sad that you guys decided not to make another game. If you made a game that sold for money and was as good as this one I think you could make a lot of profit :) Couldn't you make another game even if it takes 10 years because you're doing other stuff and the game dev would be when you could?
Popularity is of course nice. Sure we could, and will, make more games if we ever feel like it.
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

I almost forgot! Any chance for additional wallpapers anywhere in the future? (Close or far).
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune
Benkei

Post by Benkei »

Two music questions! Well ... a little more than "two" since each of the two has a lot of sub-questions that go with it. :oops:

Question 1: Ah Eh I Oh You
When I first heard the nurse's theme song, "Ah Eh I Oh You," it gave me a sense of foreboding. Despite its jazzy smoothness, it seemed a little too ... sinister at parts, particularly from 0m08s to 0m16s. No other song gave such an impression and because of this I was left wondering, very early on in my playthrough of KS, if the nurse might not turn out to be a villain and/or a possible rival for Hisao. Fortunately, the first path I docked onto was Emi's, the path perhaps best suited to quickly dispelling any such notion of the nurse being either a villain or a rival for Hisao; and as I have completed more and more routes, it seems all but certain now that the nurse never was nor ever will be an antagonist in this game. But I was just curious: what sort of mood were the composers for this tune trying to evoke in first-time listeners? Was the piece intended to be a red herring? Or am I alone in thinking that the song sounds kinda menacing?

Question 2: Stride
Another musical question, this time about the song "Stride." This one starts off a little melancholic (from 0m00s to 0m09s) and then, nine seconds in, quickly seems to dive into "brace yourself from some bad news, bud :(" territory -- territory we stay firmly rooted in from 0m09s to 0m22s. But then, from 0m22s to 0m26s, the song undergoes a transition which results in a complete emotional 180°, going from ominous and tense to pleasant and ... I dunno, kind of like a mellow "the days of our lives in high school" kind of feel. It's certainly not dark or ominous. Maybe a little wistful in places? But on the whole, the character of the piece from 0m26s forward feels completely different to the feel of the piece in those first twenty or so seconds. So my first question again, this time for Nicol, is: what sort of mood(s) were you trying to evoke in players with this particular piece? A second question would be, do you perceive the schism in tone that I've described (and if so, was it intentional)? or do you have no clue what I'm talking about? I don't know if other players have had the same experience or not, but for me, this song is the only song in the entire game which draws me out of the moment -- because either the first twenty seconds are inappropriately ominous for what I'm about to see or else the remainder of the song is inappropriately spry. But the fact that this is the only track, out of over 40 melodies in this game and most of which you worked on, is really a credit to your genius at crafting the right melodies which establish the right emotional tones for the right scenes. :)

To all of the composers, I want to say -- thank you for a job fantastically well done! :D Your work is a precious treasure. I hope that each of you finds great success and happiness in your future musical endeavors.
Kanodin

Post by Kanodin »

Aura wrote:
Kanodin wrote:What do you guys / girls, think about all of the praise you're receiving from this? (reason I ask, as a member of the very first sound plugin team, for PCSX2, I know that it can be overwhelming, so I just want to know how you all feel) and

Does this make you all want to get back together and do another VN after taking a small break?
We're happy that people like the game, but no, it doesn't affect at least me either way as for another project. I'll work on another project if I feel like working on another project.

Thanks for the answers.
kagamiseki

Post by kagamiseki »

I'm planning on doing a small project with my friend, and after playing through KS, I really wanted some information about what was used for production.

Art: Any specific program(s) that you used? Any art tools you recommend?
Music: What synthesizer(s) did you use?
Ren'Py/coding: Did you use a lot of Python in the coding? Would you mind sharing the code for some of the effects you used, such as the falling snow/cherry petals, or "animating" the characters on screen for sitting or bowing? (I want to study what you did, and how you did it, but I don't intend to use the same code in my project. I know the snow is documented in the Ren'Py wiki/userguide, but I want to see how you went about it.)

Also, just curious, who wrote Iwanako's letter? Or was it typed?
Absolutely loved Katawa Shoujo, it was probably one the most emotionally moving experiences I've had in my experience with literature/games.
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Benkei wrote:Question 1: Ah Eh I Oh You
what sort of mood were the composers for this tune trying to evoke in first-time listeners? Was the piece intended to be a red herring? Or am I alone in thinking that the song sounds kinda menacing?

Question 2: Stride
So my first question again, this time for Nicol, is: what sort of mood(s) were you trying to evoke in players with this particular piece? A second question would be, do you perceive the schism in tone that I've described (and if so, was it intentional)?
Ah Eh I Oh You was never really written for KS. Way, way back in 2007, someone had made a post on OCRemix as a call to composers looking to help with the game. In response someone named OverCoat posted a couple tracks and said we were free to use them, and Ah Eh I Oh You was one of them. It wasn't written with any knowledge of the game or particular intent in mind, it's just a nifty piece of music.

This isn't the first time someone's mentioned that Stride felt ominous. That was never my intention, so I was a bit surprised. As a whole I intended the track to just be relaxing, but this is one of the first tracks I made for the game, back when I was 14, so I didn't really have a good grasp of effect back then.
kagamiseki wrote:Music: What synthesizer(s) did you use?
I sequenced all MIDIs with a mouse and keyboard in Finale, and sampled and mixed them in FL Studio. The samples I used were mostly a mix between free soundfonts and the Garritan Personal Orchestra VSTi. I didn't use any hardware synthesizers.
kagamiseki

Post by kagamiseki »

hm... Garritan personal orchestra... I'll have to check that out... the quality is great :o