Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

OtakuNinja

Re: Ask!

Post by OtakuNinja »

It's been almost 5 months since the last artbook was released, but we still haven't seen a digital version. When will it be released? :(
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Kyvos

Post by Kyvos »

Did you guys anticipate how positively people would react to certain parts of the game? (eg: lemons or "The problem must be in your pants")
Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Rin
100% get!
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

If the writers didn't anticipate positive feel reactions then they probably didn't anticipate memes spawning all over the place. Just saying.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Kyvos wrote:Did you guys anticipate how positively people would react to certain parts of the game? (eg: lemons or "The problem must be in your pants")
It was given that some things would catch on, but exactly which ones is pretty much unpredictable.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Kulthozuer

Post by Kulthozuer »

Hello I am fairly new to KS, I just ran into it on the internet about a week ago and started playing it Sunday. I have to say without a doubt that it is one of the best games I have ever played and I have played a lot of games in my life. I'd like to start by strongly thanking everyone who worked on this project the more I read the more it seems that not only is this game amazing but the story behind it's creation is amazing as well. I have been really looking for a work quite like Katawa Shoujo lately and that's probably why it hit me so hard when I played it. I know you aren't going to be working together on another project as a collective group but I'd be extremely excited to follow the developers of the game as individuals in the future. I guess none of this is really a question I just thought this might be an appropriate place to post how I felt about the game where the developers could see it. Have a good one!
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Kulthozuer wrote:Hello I am fairly new to KS, I just ran into it on the internet about a week ago and started playing it Sunday. I have to say without a doubt that it is one of the best games I have ever played and I have played a lot of games in my life. I'd like to start by strongly thanking everyone who worked on this project the more I read the more it seems that not only is this game amazing but the story behind it's creation is amazing as well. I have been really looking for a work quite like Katawa Shoujo lately and that's probably why it hit me so hard when I played it. I know you aren't going to be working together on another project as a collective group but I'd be extremely excited to follow the developers of the game as individuals in the future. I guess none of this is really a question I just thought this might be an appropriate place to post how I felt about the game where the developers could see it. Have a good one!
It isn't. There's a whole thread about that topic.
Kulthozuer

Post by Kulthozuer »

OtakuNinja wrote:
Kulthozuer wrote:Hello I am fairly new to KS, I just ran into it on the internet about a week ago and started playing it Sunday. I have to say without a doubt that it is one of the best games I have ever played and I have played a lot of games in my life. I'd like to start by strongly thanking everyone who worked on this project the more I read the more it seems that not only is this game amazing but the story behind it's creation is amazing as well. I have been really looking for a work quite like Katawa Shoujo lately and that's probably why it hit me so hard when I played it. I know you aren't going to be working together on another project as a collective group but I'd be extremely excited to follow the developers of the game as individuals in the future. I guess none of this is really a question I just thought this might be an appropriate place to post how I felt about the game where the developers could see it. Have a good one!
It isn't. There's a whole thread about that topic.
Well thats alright. It doesn't really matter anyhow.
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

A question for the writers.

I assume that most, if not all, of you are male. Since a large chunk of the text consists of things said by female characters, how was it to write these parts?
Was it different than writing lines for a male character? Did you have difficulties with those?

I have heard of writers of books and manga having trouble writing lines for the opposite sex and sometimes consult the help of others for this.
Kulthozuer

Post by Kulthozuer »

I actually do have a question now, is it at all possible for me to get a copy of the Tomorrow/Today artbook without going to the Anime Expo save for someone getting it for me (Which I can't do either). If it was at all possible for me to get there to get it I would but that is tragically extremely far for me to travel. Will you only be distrubuting them there and no where else? I would love to buy one even if I had to pay extreme shipping costs.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Kulthozuer wrote:I actually do have a question now, is it at all possible for me to get a copy of the Tomorrow/Today artbook without going to the Anime Expo save for someone getting it for me (Which I can't do either). If it was at all possible for me to get there to get it I would but that is tragically extremely far for me to travel. Will you only be distrubuting them there and no where else? I would love to buy one even if I had to pay extreme shipping costs.
That was about 4 months ago. We're still waiting for the digita release. :?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Reksho wrote:A question for the writers.

I assume that most, if not all, of you are male. Since a large chunk of the text consists of things said by female characters, how was it to write these parts?
Was it different than writing lines for a male character? Did you have difficulties with those?

I have heard of writers of books and manga having trouble writing lines for the opposite sex and sometimes consult the help of others for this.
Not any harder than writing the parts of characters who have other traits I don't, such as any of the disabilities, being a nurse or whatever. In fact, I'd say I can write female voice a lot better than a disabled voice, due to having had quite a bit more contact with females than disabled people.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Kulthozuer wrote:I actually do have a question now, is it at all possible for me to get a copy of the Tomorrow/Today artbook without going to the Anime Expo save for someone getting it for me (Which I can't do either). If it was at all possible for me to get there to get it I would but that is tragically extremely far for me to travel. Will you only be distrubuting them there and no where else? I would love to buy one even if I had to pay extreme shipping costs.
We'll release it digitally at some point.
Kulthozuer

Post by Kulthozuer »

Aura wrote:
We'll release it digitally at some point.
Ehh it isn't the same as having a hard copy but what am I to do, I'll take what I can get at this point I really want to collect as many memories as I can with this game, just finished Rin by the way which was my last storyline and it was absolutely amazing, thanks Aura.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Reksho wrote:A question for the writers.

Like Aura already said, it wasn't any more difficult than writing from the perspective of a nurse, or from the perspective of a blind person, or deaf person, or someone without legs/arms/whatever.

The secret to writing female characters is that women are not actually some mysterious puzzle. They are, surprisingly, almost exactly like males. If you want to write convincing female characters, make a convincing character and use female pronouns when describing her. It's like MAGIC.

I mean there's a little more to consider if you want to really write something that delves into gender politics (although a great shortcut for that is to just have nobody take anything seriously that your character says, and indeed have them be as patronizing as possible. A bit too on the nose, perhaps, but there you are), but the secret is there isn't any secret, writing a woman is identical to writing a man because gender isn't going to inform like, whether or not a character likes long walks on the beach or swears a lot or has a sore spot about a dead parent.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

TheHivemind wrote:If you want to write convincing female characters, make a convincing character and use female pronouns when describing her. It's like MAGIC.
From As Good As It Gets (1997):
Receptionist: How do you write women so well?
Melvin Udall: I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability.

I don't really have a question, but reading you and Aura's responses made me think of this little exchange. Actually, on second thought, I probably do have a question.

Some of the characters have some unusual quirks that go beyond their disabilities. Hanako's tile game gets referenced a lot, but there are others. Were any of them based on people you knew, or perhaps from some other source, or were they simply pulled out of the ether?