Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Re: Ask!

Post by cpl_crud »

zeroyuki92 wrote: For the questions,
I guess the following are intended for writers :
1. In your working days (don't count days with no writing done at all), how many average words (rough estimation, ofc) per day that you guys did for KS? (ex. 1000 words per day,etc)
2. Did you write some other fiction writings before writing scenario for KS? If you did, what are they? (and if you shared it in internet, can you share them here?)
3. Personally, usually what did you do when you meet writing-block?
4. Is there any of you (writers) that had other language than English as mother language?
Writers block is best solved with a litre of tea.
My personal record was 10,000 words in a day; none of which made the final cut. On an average day I'd do about 2,500.

I had written some crappy screenplays with someone else, and a few magazine articles (a habit that I have recently.started again).
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Davidgol

Post by Davidgol »

Were all the pictures in Katawa Shoujo hand drawn?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

bonegolem wrote:I am very happy to have finally had a chance to play through this game. You guys did a splendid job, and although the four routes I played felt quite different, they all had a very strong impact on me.
Thanks for setting up this Q&A while we're at it.
  • You have remade the Act1 demo quite a few times, fine-tuning it. Is there a chance there might be a revised version of the main game - a 1.01 to correct small mistakes etc? If that is the case, how will this be handled with the team disbanded?
  • If you go back on the developement cycle, what do you feel is the biggest mistake you've made, the thing that you most would like to have changed?
Thank you in advance for the replies. If you chose to ignore my questions in favour of more interesting ones, thanks for those replies instead :)
We've only disbanded for the purpose of making further projects with the same team, as you can see we are still involved with KS.
Biggest mistake was that we didn't all move to Copenhagen to work physically together.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
FrozenKimchi

Post by FrozenKimchi »

who are the writers for each of the girls?
Rivin

Post by Rivin »

Aura wrote:
bonegolem wrote:I am very happy to have finally had a chance to play through this game. You guys did a splendid job, and although the four routes I played felt quite different, they all had a very strong impact on me.
Thanks for setting up this Q&A while we're at it.
  • You have remade the Act1 demo quite a few times, fine-tuning it. Is there a chance there might be a revised version of the main game - a 1.01 to correct small mistakes etc? If that is the case, how will this be handled with the team disbanded?
  • If you go back on the developement cycle, what do you feel is the biggest mistake you've made, the thing that you most would like to have changed?
Thank you in advance for the replies. If you chose to ignore my questions in favour of more interesting ones, thanks for those replies instead :)
We've only disbanded for the purpose of making further projects with the same team, as you can see we are still involved with KS.
Biggest mistake was that we didn't all move to Copenhagen to work physically together.
What kind of projects will you guys be working on? You've piqued my interest with that statement lol..
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

zeroyuki92 wrote:First of all, thank you very much for the inspirational and heartwarming work that you guys made...You guys must know that 4LS had made a Visual Novel that made a big impact in OELVN community, and become the inspiration for aspiring developers to create more visual novels. Once again, thank you very much.

For the questions,
1. In your working days (don't count days with no writing done at all), how many average words (rough estimation, ofc) per day that you guys did for KS? (ex. 1000 words per day,etc)
2. Did you write some other fiction writings before writing scenario for KS? If you did, what are they? (and if you shared it in internet, can you share them here?)
4. Is there any of you (writers) that had other language than English as mother language?

For general development process :
What was 4LS working flow during development process for KS? Specifically, where do you guys work faster: In the beginning, middle or the end of development stage?
1. Around 1000-1500 words.
2. Nothing remarkable
3. I would write something else, and then get back to writing KS.
4. My native language is Finnish, the rest are native english-speakers.

Our workflow is best represented by a circle. There was no significant speed differences, I don't think.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Davidgol wrote:Were all the pictures in Katawa Shoujo hand drawn?
The backgrounds, except for CG backgrounds, are manipulated photos. Otherwise yes. In case you mean "drawn on paper" by "hand-drawn", obviously no.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

zeroyuki92 wrote:First of all, thank you very much for the inspirational and heartwarming work that you guys made...You guys must know that 4LS had made a Visual Novel that made a big impact in OELVN community, and become the inspiration for aspiring developers to create more visual novels. Once again, thank you very much.

For the questions,

For general development process :
What was 4LS working flow during development process for KS? Specifically, where do you guys work faster: In the beginning, middle or the end of development stage?
1. I liked to keep a pace of one scene a fortnight when doing the first drafts. Later on, if I had everything in order and was on a roll, 1000 words per day was doable. There were instances of doing one scene a day when crunch-writing.

2. I had never written anything before KS in any form.

3. Usually I just gave writing of the main path a break. I'd read/watch different media, or talk with other writers about their progress and/or ideas. All the time, even if I had writer's block, I'd be constantly adding to notes.txt with random things.

4. Only Aura is a non-native English speaker. That said, my native tongue is Australian English, not US English, which did cause quite a few problems (which Silentcook will no doubt be grating his teeth over reading this).
no one important

Post by no one important »

will the soundtrack ever be available for download?
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

no one important wrote:will the soundtrack ever be available for download?
As per the Game FAQ, yes, it will be made available.
shangz

Post by shangz »

Just some questions for the developers

1) I read somewhere that the developers didn't really like to draw the H-scenes. Is there a reason to include them? Having played through all paths, feels like only Rin's and Hanako's were justified..otherwise I didn't feel as much emotional connection for the others.

2) Having completed Rin's story last, her route was by far the most amazingly well written. I'm assuming you guys spent the most time writing her story. I was wondering if the developers had the same conclusion as I did or it was meant to be interpreted differently for everyone. I felt that her story was one of true love. Loving each other for who they were and accepting each other's shortcomings. Is this what the developers had intended? Just curious

In any case, thank you to the developers for creating such an amazing game..rin's route is more than worth it to pay 50 bucks for it. The melancholic music in the game is really the best and I would like to thank the developers who created the music for the game. Thank you so much 4LS.

Post by Guest »

Like many others, I would like to thank the people who worked so hard on this game for so many years. Katawa Shoujo was a wonderful experience, and I truly appreciate everything within it.

What's Rin's favorite food?

Post by Guest »

I like how your music is in the game but have you guys noticed all the squeeks in the music?
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Per the discussion elsewhere in this forum, is there a particular reason that Hanako doesn't have pubic hair? Rin doesn't seem to have pubic hair either, though it could be hidden by Hisao's hand.

Post by Guest »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:Per the discussion elsewhere in this forum, is there a particular reason that Hanako doesn't have pubic hair? Rin doesn't seem to have pubic hair either, though it could be hidden by Hisao's hand.
This is definitely worth asking.
Shizune doesn't have any either, Lilly seems to be the only one.