Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mirage_GSM

Re: Ask!

Post by Mirage_GSM »

First time I heard of that project...
The last post in their dev blog is from two years ago, and from it's contents I think it's safe to assume that the project is as dead as Hisao after the Deep End...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Kon22 wrote:Questions of the sort have already been asked, but if you'll humor me: what would you say was the team's biggest misconception about the task of creating a visual novel of such a size? Do you think the development time would have been significantly shorter if you had had a better idea of the scope of the project/how to organize it?
Yes, if the same people were to make it again then the development time would be less. But the point is that we needed that time to learn, so if you brought a bunch of amateurs together again it would take that long.

My personal biggest misconception was the complexity of game design. The grid concept was a terrible idea, but I didn't know that. Also how difficult it is to have communicate clearly across time zones and cultures.

It was also interesting to learn how VN writing differs from prose, how artists work, and how different people react to things like deadlines.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "grid concept" and what the alternative would have been?
A static novel?
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Can you elaborate on what you mean by "grid concept" and what the alternative would have been?
A static novel?
Le sigh.

I originally thought that there could be 5 "rows" in Act 1

In each row you would meet one girl (column).

So there would be 25 "intro" scenes.

But the problem is that you needed to hit every column once, and doing so would block that column for the rest of the act.

I originally thought "hey, these things happen chronologically, so one day you meet Hanako in class, the next you meet Lilly"

But a branching story just doesn't work like that (unless it is crazy generic) - which is what I had to learn the hard way.

This led into me (and maybe the team - although I think they knew much more than I did) learning about choice management, game "flags" and forcing the user on certain paths...

------
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
brythain

Post by brythain »

cpl_crud wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:Can you elaborate on what you mean by "grid concept" and what the alternative would have been?
A static novel?
Le sigh.

I originally thought that there could be 5 "rows" in Act 1

In each row you would meet one girl (column).

So there would be 25 "intro" scenes.

But the problem is that you needed to hit every column once, and doing so would block that column for the rest of the act.
Ah! Not so much static as... gridlocked.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

It would be nice, Crud, to see official posts about different projects on the 4LS/KS blog.
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

ArcCain wrote:It would be nice, Crud, to see official posts about different projects on the 4LS/KS blog.
I'm thinking about doing an updated "Stalkers Guide" (after asking around) so I'll pass that to Aura for posting.

I was also thinking it might be nice to have the "official" 4Ls blog be more of an aggregator for everyone's public blogs but I haven't taken any steps to do so

------
LynXsh

Post by LynXsh »

Good time of day!
I'd like to ask you some [stupid] questions.
0. Music.
0.1. Would you make the "Prototypes" available as a dl-able archive somewhen?
0.2. Would you release the lossless edition of "Enigmatic Box of Sound" [and "Prototypes"] (no matter, if as a free dl or for some price) somewhen? I know, хотеть не вредно. But вредно не хотеть.
1. Artbooks.
1.1. Would you make the landscape-oriented versions of "Beauty and Strangeness" and "The Soft Hour"? Of course, дарёному коню, and so on, but it's a little jarring when the picture is splitted right in two.
I tried searching this thread for these questions \ something like them, but no luck. So, I beg your pardon if it all was discussed before, maybe it's me being banned by search engines.
Hope, I didn't insult you.
Thanks in advance and best wishes!
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

0.1, 0.2, 1.1: unlikely. Members of 4LS are more interested in making new stuff than redoing previous releases.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

LynXsh

Post by LynXsh »

Silentcook, thanks a lot for your answer!
Many luck to all of you with your new projects, then!

UPD: Reading random threads here I've suddenly found the format discussion in the OST release one. I sincerely beg your pardon for bringing back what has been already discussed.
Last edited by LynXsh on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bringr

Post by Bringr »

Will the writers and artists who worked on Hanako's route ever apologize for what they did to her?
QuietlySomething

Post by QuietlySomething »

Bringr wrote:Will the writers and artists who worked on Hanako's route ever apologize for what they did to her?
what
Just Some Guy

Post by Just Some Guy »

Bringr wrote:Will the writers and artists who worked on Hanako's route ever apologize for what they did to her?
Whatever you're trying to ask, I'm willing to bet the answer is "no."
dedsec

Post by dedsec »

What kind of music does Hanako Ikezawa like?
It's not how far you get before your done, but what you accomplish getting there.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

dedsec wrote:What kind of music does Hanako Ikezawa like?

I should know this...

What I'm thinking is "Music without edges" - in that nothing too jumpy. So I'm thinking classical, soft rock, and probably also generic J-pop (low energy).

------