Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mysterious Stranger

Question for you astronomer people

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Is the constellation featured in Shicchan's Act 2 FMV (and by extension the end of Act 1) supposed to resemble an actual constellation?

The only thing I can think of is Orion's Belt, but those three are arranged in a diagonal fashion, if I'm not mistaken, quite unlike the triangle pattern in the video.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

McBaggin wrote:What inspired everyone to join this project? Did you initially join to make a silly cripple dating game or had the intent to make something serious off the bat?
For me the combination of interest in the medium, and wanting a new constructive/creative hobby. I don't think anyone joined to make something "silly".
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Breaker deGodot wrote:Hello to all of the KS devs!

I was just wondering how long it took to write each girl's route. I'm not talking about the entire process of programming, drawing characters, etc. Just the writing period itself.
Hard to answer, because none of the work was done in a single chunk of time. I can give a rough example: The first draft of Rin's path was started in october 2007 and finished in july 2008, but while I was writing that I was also rewriting act 1 and doing other dev work. The final draft was started in maybe august 2009 (a year of break from writing the path! This is because we remade Act 1 completely and released it), and written in bits and pieces throughout the next year and some, again while I was taking breaks and doing other stuff. So, the general answer is "a long time". All the other paths have similar histories, each with their own quirks.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Brodoin wrote:This might be silly and might not even be able to be answered, but I feel like I should ask.

How does this game call on so many emotions? And not just calls them, but makes you feel them so strongly, to the point where you put your own life into it.

I've read tons of stories of love and loss and everything. Movies, books, games, anime, manga, TV shows. While some do call on emotions, some fairly strongly, none I can recall have done so this much. I'm to the point where I can't explain how I feel very well, and I've only finished Hanako's and half of Emi's.

So how? Is it how they worded it? Is it certain words? Or is it just that good?
I can't give a definitive answer. What can be said, is that we did not deliberately attempt to go for the effect the game has had on so many people, and were surprised by the emotional response. Of course we've talked about it, tried to figure out what we did right by accident, and there's a couple of thoughts, none of which I'm confident enough in to put out here.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

BobBobberson wrote:Hello, devs.

Y'know how there's a lot of parts where the girls say they've had conversations with each other, or Hisao sees them talking or leave to talk (Like Hanako wanting to talk to Lilly at Lilly's summer house)? I take it we'll never know the contents of those conversations, will we? If we did know those things, it would definitely flesh out the story a lot moar.
You'll never know.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Question for you astronomer people

Post by Aura »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:Is the constellation featured in Shicchan's Act 2 FMV (and by extension the end of Act 1) supposed to resemble an actual constellation?

The only thing I can think of is Orion's Belt, but those three are arranged in a diagonal fashion, if I'm not mistaken, quite unlike the triangle pattern in the video.
Not a constellation, but an asterism. It's the Summer Triangle, rotated for artistic purposes.
Brodoin

Post by Brodoin »

Aura wrote:I can't give a definitive answer. What can be said, is that we did not deliberately attempt to go for the effect the game has had on so many people, and were surprised by the emotional response. Of course we've talked about it, tried to figure out what we did right by accident, and there's a couple of thoughts, none of which I'm confident enough in to put out here.
So in a nutshell, a happy accident?

Good enough for me.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Aura wrote:Not a constellation, but an asterism. It's the Summer Triangle, rotated for artistic purposes.
Ah, of course. And here I spent all this time searching for constellations. Seems obvious in retrospect (it's a triangle, for Christ's sake), although I can't say I have anything but a rudimentary knowledge of astronomy.

Anyway, thanks. That was clawing at my mind for a while.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
thixez77

Post by thixez77 »

4LS i have to say that this game means alot to me. Why? because of the fact that i have a hearth condition similar to Arrhytmia and this game is actualy pretty acurate in the fact of how it is. so my question is this:is there any one in the 4Ls team with a hearth condition? or is it just that you needed a random condition for the game.
Paddy
Location: In wheat fields, which must be placed on the valley floor.

Post by Paddy »

Jolt33 wrote:
Jolt33 wrote:Is There any way I can get A hold of A Lilly Confession CG Wallpaper? I really want it for my Desktop background...
I found one good Image when searching through Google Images, but the Background is all blurry-http://archivethumb2.foolz.us/board/a/i ... 868695.jpg
And another Non-Edited, but pretty bad quality when set as my background-
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/image ... rkCO3-ons2

I was hoping one of you Devs can put up a Lilly confession wallpaper? My Res is 1360x768
I guess not. :?

Pity, too, cos while the former wallpaper's a higher resolution, it's also been cropped. :x
My res is 1028x768, so it doesn't do much good. :(
I'm weary of the railway,
Poor Paddy works on the railway.

Блажен муж, иже не иде на совет нечестивых.
Blessed is the man, who walks not in the counsel of the wicked. (Psalm 1:1)
Got questions about God, Christianity, or the Catholic Church?
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:it's a triangle, for Christ's sake
This made me laugh out loud and then my brother gave me a weird look.
My Astronomy teacher once said: "Never use 'those three stars that make a triangle' as a defining feature when pointing out stars to someone. Any three stars make a triangle."

It is, however, approximately a 3:4:5 right triangle.

Post by Guest »

hi guys

completing the game was an experience lets say that made me think about stuff that is going on in my life and I would just like to thank you for creating this fantastic game
I would just like to ask what the future holds for four leaf studios will you be making more games or will you all be parting ways?

I would love to see another game
centrefuge

Post by centrefuge »

Guest wrote:hi guys

completing the game was an experience lets say that made me think about stuff that is going on in my life and I would just like to thank you for creating this fantastic game
I would just like to ask what the future holds for four leaf studios will you be making more games or will you all be parting ways?

yeh do you guys have anything else lined up? would probably make my year even better (if that is possible)
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

First and foremost, I just want to say thank you to all of the 4LS staff for the amazing emotional experience you have provided. I think it helped to change my outlook on aspects of my own life.

Now for my question, which is directed to the writers: How is writing the dialogue, narrative, plot, etc. of a Visual Novel such as Katawa Shoujo different from writing a traditional novel? What unique challenges arise from these differences? I ask, mainly because the profound impact KS has had on me, has inspired me to start writing again.

Best Regards,

Paladin
[10:59:46 PM] GIR: so who's the soapdropper?
[11:00:00 PM] T. C. Paladin: BWAHAHAHA!!!!! ROFL!
[11:00:14 PM] GIR: no i mean i figured one of you is using that as your IRC nickname
[11:00:19 PM] T. C. Paladin: i have no clue, but that is hilarious
[11:02:25 PM]T. C. Paladin: lol wow. i'm going to have to use that one someday
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest wrote:hi guys

We don't really know. Time will tell.