Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

pandaphil

Re: Ask!

Post by pandaphil »

Since I know devs hang out here, I just wanted to congratulate you folks and wish you a happy second KS anniversary tomorrow! :)
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
bLissful

Post by bLissful »

I feel as if this had to have been asked, but I can't manage to find the (potentially non-existent) post. In any case, have you ever watched a comedic personality (youtuber) read KS with some sort of joking commentary? If so, did any particular recurring feelings or ideas arise?
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

bhtooefr wrote:So, a fair amount of stuff has put Yamaku in/near Sendai...
A lot of the backgrounds and inspiration come from Sendai, but Yamaku Academy is not in "fact" near Sendai, or even anyplace at all other than in some fictional dimension. This is partly intentional and partly due to insufficient checking. Apologies to all the people who might have wanted to extrapolate and visit the "real-world" location.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Silentcook wrote:
A lot of the backgrounds and inspiration come from Sendai, but Yamaku Academy is not in "fact" near Sendai, or even anyplace at all other than in some fictional dimension. This is partly intentional and partly due to insufficient checking. Apologies to all the people who might have wanted to extrapolate and visit the "real-world" location.
The "real world" Academy is in... I think it's Canada?

I don't remember anymore. IT HAS BEEN TOO LONG.
forgetmenot

Post by forgetmenot »

TheHivemind wrote:The "real world" Academy is in... I think it's Canada?

I don't remember anymore. IT HAS BEEN TOO LONG.
Brown University in the US. Located in Providence, Rhode Island, specifically. I can't remember where I read that - it was probably this thread.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Silentcook wrote:
I suppose if anyone wanted to "stand" on Yamaku, the closest thing in my mind would be the ruins of Sendai Castle. I went there in 2007, and a lot of the descriptions of the locale of Yamaku are based around this. I spent a bit of time looking around there to get my head around it, and then when we tried explaining Yamaku to each other, that was my reference. However, as Silentcook aptly puts it, we never really went beyond that.

A lot of the images come from Brown U, however I do know that the "Road to School" photo is the road leading into Shirakawa-Go, which is the real-world version of Hinamizawa (http://cplcrud.deviantart.com/gallery/10042427 for more details). And I still think that there is a bench that was taken in a small private garden in Kyoto.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

cpl_crud wrote:I suppose if anyone wanted to "stand" on Yamaku, the closest thing in my mind would be the ruins of Sendai Castle. I went there in 2007, and a lot of the descriptions of the locale of Yamaku are based around this. I spent a bit of time looking around there to get my head around it, and then when we tried explaining Yamaku to each other, that was my reference. However, as Silentcook aptly puts it, we never really went beyond that.
But how does this actually make sense, when neither the building nor the in-game location are there?
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Aura wrote:
cpl_crud wrote:I suppose if anyone wanted to "stand" on Yamaku, the closest thing in my mind would be the ruins of Sendai Castle. I went there in 2007, and a lot of the descriptions of the locale of Yamaku are based around this. I spent a bit of time looking around there to get my head around it, and then when we tried explaining Yamaku to each other, that was my reference. However, as Silentcook aptly puts it, we never really went beyond that.
But how does this actually make sense, when neither the building nor the in-game location are there?
I suppose it doesn't. I was really musing on the fact that whenever I had to picutre Yamaku in my mind, that's the site that I put my mindset into. I'm sure all of you guys had a similar "image" that you reflected on - where the sun rose and set, which way you had to face to see the city...

I should have said "my Yamaku" as opposed to just "Yamaku".

Although you know what would be interesting - all of use drawing a rough map of the school and the surrounds...
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I'll note that I wasn't interested in standing on Yamaku, for what it's worth (and if I wanted to do that, Brown University is a hell of a lot closer and cheaper to get to than Sendai Castle), but rather was interested in what I saw as a possible conflict between facts as presented in Shizune's route, and how they were presented in Lilly and (to a lesser extent) Hanako's routes.

Thanks for the information, though.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
ksfan1989

Post by ksfan1989 »

I have a question that's probably been asked and answered before but I can't find it, so apologies if I'm breaking a rule.

During Emi's route, she says something to the effect of "if I didn't already know why, I'd be confused why Misha hangs around someone so bossy." And then when Hisao asks her to elaborate she dodges the question.

How does Emi know why Misha hangs around Shizune?
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Hisao already notes early in Lilly's route that there's a rather prominent rumor mill at Yamaku that even manages to reach Kenji from time to time. When Misha changed her brown, straight hair into whacky pink curls she was likely tossed into said rumor mill too and people jumped to the conclusion that's often reached when a female suddenly changes her hairstyle in Japan.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest Poster wrote:Hisao already notes early in Lilly's route that there's a rather prominent rumor mill at Yamaku that even manages to reach Kenji from time to time. When Misha changed her brown, straight hair into whacky pink curls she was likely tossed into said rumor mill too and people jumped to the conclusion that's often reached when a female suddenly changes her hairstyle in Japan.
Please no wild fan speculation in this thread. It exists for making things clearer, not the opposite.

Anyway, Hive meant to write Emi and Misha as good friends, but that never materialized properly. The line is an undead remnant of that.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Wouldn't that have contradicted Emi's claim that she had no close friends due to her attachment issues or was that the reason Emi wasn't given any friends besides Rin? (whose unique mindset made her "safe")
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Not really. Anyway, obviously everything would be made to fit.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Aura wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:Hisao already notes early in Lilly's route that there's a rather prominent rumor mill at Yamaku that even manages to reach Kenji from time to time. When Misha changed her brown, straight hair into whacky pink curls she was likely tossed into said rumor mill too and people jumped to the conclusion that's often reached when a female suddenly changes her hairstyle in Japan.
Please no wild fan speculation in this thread. It exists for making things clearer, not the opposite.

Anyway, Hive meant to write Emi and Misha as good friends, but that never materialized properly. The line is an undead remnant of that.
Like Aura said, there was originally going to be more hints that Emi and Misha had crossed paths on more than one occasion. It was discarded (or more accurately, never really explored) due to a myriad of reasons, some to do with being a lousy writer, others to do with the fact that Emi's path was scrapped and started from (almost) scratch about four years into development. Other hints of the Emi/Misha connection include some editorial comments from Misha during a lecture on PDA (which, come to think of it, might have also been removed but I don't remember anymore) and the fact that Misha is the one to talk to you if things go poorly (which was not so much a vestige as it was a reference to what could have been, if I'd been a) better at writing b) better at negotiating c) less burned out on the project by the end of the writing process). I think there might be one or two off-handed comments from Emi and Misha in the path that serve as more references to it (and there was something in the dinner scene at one point, but again I can't remember what made it in and what didn't).

Isn't it sad Micchan ;____; etc. etc.