Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Ask!

Post by Aura »

Back when we released Act 1, I had a Q&A session over at Fakku, and it was really fun.

So, here's a more permanent place to ask me and the rest of the devs all sorts of questions about KS and making of the game.

Since I expect there will be quite a few posts in this thread, here's a bit of a preface:

1) Even though this is a kind of a free arena and finishing the game made us less grumpy, we are not any less forgiving of stupidity. While commentary and followup questions are fine, try to not clog up the thread with unrelated posts, questions that have been answered before, or any general silliness.

2) There's a chance you won't get an answer to your question. It doesn't necessarily mean you are being ignored, it means that the question has no good answer or one we don't want to reveal. Move on.

3) Even if you think you know the answer to some question, don't answer it. Misinformation has a tendency to stick around, and the point of this thread is to clarify things, not muddle them up further. I will enforce this one pretty heavily until everyone gets the point. The exception is pointing out that the same question has been answered before (with a link)
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
「ユウキ」

Re: Ask!

Post by 「ユウキ」 »

Hey Aura.

I don't mean to be vague, as this is aimed a all the writers in general, but I'm curious as th where much of the inspiration for the stories for each character came from. I'm aware RAITA outlined the characters, but a lot of the stories seem quite original, and if I may say so, quite touching. I'm wondering if any or you could share your thoughts and or inspiration for certain when writing.

Thank you again.
blazinator

Post by blazinator »

How many times did Emi have sex and with how many different partners did she do it with?

Also, does she cheat on Hisao?

Also, why does the Shizune route suck so bad?
Rivinhal

Post by Rivinhal »

This isn't so much a question as it is an introductory statement, but I wanted to thank you guys for making a game that so honestly portrays the disabled community. As a disabled person myself, I figured this game could take multiple paths, and you guys always took the high road and made me almost proud to be different for once in my life.. That probably sounds crazy, and makes no sense, but I thank you none the less. Your game is unbelievably amazing, and you should be unbelievably proud.. :mrgreen:

On to my question:
I loved all of the girl's paths, but only one ending really bothered me because of it's unclear ending... At the end of Shizune's good ending, do her and Hisao stay together or break up? I figured they just meant they wouldn't be seeing each other as soon/much as before because they were graduating and their lives were changing.. (ie. no more living so closely, etc..) I hope I wasn't just wishfully thinking.. :(

Post by Guest »

Who did the art for Rin's path? Can we get some hi-res of her work?
yuastnav

Post by yuastnav »

I am not sure whether this has been asked before but how did the musicians record the music? Has everything been made with synthesisers or a corresponding program or have, at least some of the pieces, been recorded with real instruments?
What I am actually asking is: What kind of instruments do your musicians play?

Thank you.
"[...] it's just a ride."
ultrarare

Post by ultrarare »

What sort of challenges did you encounter when creating and deciding on each character's personality and respective path? Was each one formulated through group discussions or where specific people sent out to write out a number of potential ideas? How were ideas eventually narrowed down to what we have now and was it difficult to do?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

「ユウキ」 wrote:Hey Aura.

I don't mean to be vague, as this is aimed a all the writers in general, but I'm curious as th where much of the inspiration for the stories for each character came from. I'm aware RAITA outlined the characters, but a lot of the stories seem quite original, and if I may say so, quite touching. I'm wondering if any or you could share your thoughts and or inspiration for certain when writing.

Thank you again.
Vague questions get vague replies. Every writer draws inspiration from the things they have read or seen or otherwise experienced. I think each of the stories reflects what he respective writer feels a story should hold.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Xevo

Post by Xevo »

Why in the end no proper Misha route?

Or any other hidden route for that matter?
"Anal." - Emi
"I merely have a healthy adolescent sex drive." - Lilly
"The problem is in your pants." - Rin
"I'll tutor you." - Misha
"...?" - Shizune

I approve.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Rivinhal wrote:At the end of Shizune's good ending, do her and Hisao stay together or break up?
Life may take them to different directions, and they acknowledge that.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest wrote:Who did the art for Rin's path? Can we get some hi-res of her work?
All the artists have worked on every path, but Kamifish is the main artist for Rin. Also no, we won't release the game assets.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

yuastnav wrote:I am not sure whether this has been asked before but how did the musicians record the music? Has everything been made with synthesisers or a corresponding program or have, at least some of the pieces, been recorded with real instruments?
What I am actually asking is: What kind of instruments do your musicians play?

Thank you.
Yes, all music has been made digitally. Nicol is a pianist, and as you can hear, piano is in a big role in many of the tracks.
Hoof

Post by Hoof »

This question might be awkward because I'm not quite sure how to phrase it, sorry. This is directed at the writers mostly, but how does it feel when people say they were personally affected by your work? Like, for example Emi's path made me realize that I've been dealing with the trauma of losing someone the same way she had been, and how much that was hurting the people in my life. I'm taking steps to improve myself now because of this realization, and I'm pretty grateful that I read this game. I've been reading similar reactions for other people, so I'm really wondering- What's it like knowing that your work might have changed the people who read it?
Yo-yo

Post by Yo-yo »

Now that the game had been released, are the creators going to stay active on the blog, forums, and IRC? And how long are all of the Katawa Shoujo websites going to stay up, like the forums/blog/shimmie/etc?
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

blazinator wrote:How many times did Emi have sex and with how many different partners did she do it with?
Does it matter?
blazinator wrote:Also, does she cheat on Hisao?
No.