Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Helbereth

Re: Ask!

Post by Helbereth »

Suriko wrote:Japanese high school gets special mention as it really is a plague on the visual novel medium. It's difficult to think of another media so entirely gripped by a single setting, excepting very rare AAA releases or independents.
Perhaps it's my inexperience with the medium, then, that makes it seem less of a bore. This is still the only VN I've bothered with, despite many recommendations. Looking at the synopsis for them, though, I can see how that might be a problem.

Were any other setting locations attempted before arriving at the one presented?

Given that Raita's original drawing didn't get terribly specific on the character backgrounds, I could see the same plot playing out at a collegiate level, or perhaps even within a small microcosm community like an office building, or a mall--the five girls working at or running various shops or businesses, or departments within the same business, maybe in Europe or America somewhere.

Now I'm just spit-balling ideas...
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

A Forum Member wrote:How come Aura has godlike english skills when he/she is not a native english speaker?
Fielding this part of the question as his editor.

I wouldn't call them "godlike" any more than I'd call mine that, and in any case I find that native English speakers tend to get freaking lazy beyond belief with their own language.

I have written about this elsewhere, but in a nutshell: if you work at something, you usually become better at it.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

marian11 wrote:Hello people.

Yesterday I finished Hanako's route and it was really awesome.

Now I want to do Lilly's route, but do I have to start the game from the very beginning to get to her route ?

Thanks in advance :)
Use skip.
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

You know, it's been bugging me for a while... what on Earth does your sig mean, Silentcook? Care to elaborate on it?
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

See, I'm a developer. The sig didn't even mentally register for me. That's how commit logs tend to look shortly before release for me, too. :)
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:You know, it's been bugging me for a while... what on Earth does your sig mean, Silentcook? Care to elaborate on it?
'94 is the year when I became a nurse. When I got taken on board as a medical advisor, crud half-jokingly said that my job was to shatter everybody's dreams with cold hard facts, more or less.

The ugly pic is a screencap of the very last commit made before Act 1 got released to the public. It was a last-minute fix, made in feverish haste at an ungodly hour to correct a bad line break that had passed unnoticed until the very last moment. The pic is ugly because I suck at anything involving graphics.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

A Forum Member wrote:How come Aura has godlike english skills when he/she is not a native english speaker? And why does Aura posts five times in a row instead of citing multiple people in one post?
Education, practice, osmosis. A language can be learned just like anything, with perseverance and hard work.

It's a personal preference to keep it to one reply per one post. Hope it doesn't bother you too much.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

A couple questions from me. I apologize if they've been asked before, but I just haven't been able to get through all 184 pages yet

1) Everyone can agree that the characters in the game ring amazingly true to life regarding their feelings and emotions. Do any of the devs have any sort of background in psychology, or have they just read a lot. :)

2) I notice Lilly wears a cross necklace when shes dressed casually. Is she religious at all? Because lord knows a lot of Christians could take lessons from her.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

pandaphil wrote:A couple questions from me. I apologize if they've been asked before, but I just haven't been able to get through all 184 pages yet

1) Everyone can agree that the characters in the game ring amazingly true to life regarding their feelings and emotions. Do any of the devs have any sort of background in psychology, or have they just read a lot. :)

2) I notice Lilly wears a cross necklace when shes dressed casually. Is she religious at all? Because lord knows a lot of Christians could take lessons from her.
1. I don't, and I don't believe any of the other developers have either. I don't really interact with other people very much at all.

2. She's Catholic.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

Suriko wrote:2. She's Catholic.
I was actually planing on asking the same thing but forgot about it, I take it she is a bit casually about her religion, seeing that she uses birth control and had sex before marriage?
forgetmenot

Post by forgetmenot »

ArcCain wrote:I take it she is a bit casually about her religion, seeing that she uses birth control and had sex before marriage?
See, I always thought her flippancy regarding her religion was pretty much in line with her character. Lilly, while having a reserved, polite, well-mannered exterior, is chock-full of the same problems and impulses everyone else has. The necklace is a physical representation of that same character trait: a practicing Catholic on the outside, but a teenage girl who isn't afraid or ashamed of her desires on the inside.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I think these days most western Catholics ignore the whole sex and birth control ban.

I think it just means that Lilly isn't caught up in church dogma. She practices what religion should be about. Loving her fellow man and reaching out to those who're hurting and in need. I think Jesus would approve.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

I figured her a Protestant but Catholic sort of fits her personality in some romantic way.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

It was mentioned that her previous school was a Catholic high school for girls.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

YZQ wrote:It was mentioned that her previous school was a Catholic high school for girls.
Yeah, I remember now. :)