Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Woody Alien

Re: Ask!

Post by Woody Alien »

Why did you choose not to give Nurse a name? Didn't it become awkward to refer to him only as "the nurse" in conversation?
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
SteelSatsuma

Post by SteelSatsuma »

It would be interesting to hear from some of you about what you, personally, felt the second the project went live -- when your actual involvement had stopped, and it was out of your cradled hands, gently planted upon the the metaphorical surface of the calm, but murky waters of the Internet. What was it like? Elation? Indifference? Slight flutter of the heart? Or was it just so late that all you could do is scrape up enough remaining life force to write a very tired "good night" on IRC?
And after that happen, how soon did it become apparent to you that the project lit up the sky much brighter than anticipated? From what I've gathered, you were expecting some obvious response from the circles that were aware of KS since the moment of it's conception, but it splashing out far beyond those borders like that was a bit of a surprise to everyone. I understand that you've made some decisions regarding KS's life after release, before you actually released it. Have you found yourself thinking back to those decisions after everything's exploded like this, and you, perhaps, unwittingly, tamed the hearts of so many people?
Titus

Post by Titus »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Act1 - Nobody's Room wrote:"Each of these minor halls seems to have a toilet and shower, as well as four rooms."
"The name plates on the rooms adjacent to mine are blank. I guess there are just two of us here."
Gah, never mind then. The Soap scene confused me.
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?
Theeyebrowsofdoom

Post by Theeyebrowsofdoom »

What do you think about this "Katawa Shoujo Plus" project?

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5721
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

SteelSatsuma wrote:It would be interesting to hear from some of you about what you, personally, felt the second the project went live -- when your actual involvement had stopped, and it was out of your cradled hands, gently planted upon the the metaphorical surface of the calm, but murky waters of the Internet. What was it like? Elation? Indifference? Slight flutter of the heart? Or was it just so late that all you could do is scrape up enough remaining life force to write a very tired "good night" on IRC?
"Welp, it's out."

By comparison, my regular comment when major problems (people quitting, project stoppers, major data loss) happened along the way was "well, shit".
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Swoopie wrote:Nice, a question thread, and a pretty popular one :)

I was wondering, are you all extremely empathic and gifted writers or could some of you relate to the strong emotions of the characters because of personal experience?
No.

Or maybe no, but... a story always has something of its writer in it. Only I could write the story I did, because of the stuff I've experienced and thought about, but it's not about something that has actually happened, like none of the stories in KS.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Theeyebrowsofdoom wrote:What do you think about this "Katawa Shoujo Plus" project?

Licence stuff aside (the game licence explicitely forbids this so technically I have to be strictly against it), I think the general sentiment is that we wish people would spend their efforts on something less blatantly derivative. While it's great if people are inspired to engage themselves with something, and I get that the fan phenomenon is in play here, it's kinda weird to try to do the exact same thing again. I guess the issue is a bit complex and hard to draw lines into, which is why we picked the licence we have.

Here's a post by Suriko on the subject: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?p=71572#p71572

(Before you attempt to draw a comparison to us getting inspired by raita, think hard whether the situations are actually comparable. Protip: they aren't)
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Ippo279

Post by Ippo279 »

This is something that's been bothering me lately. At the start of the game, Hisao reads the letter his parents left for him. In the letter, they speak to him using "Hicchan". I found this weird because at the time, Only Misha and Shizune know about this. Maybe I'm confused, but I don't know. Thanks in advance!
"One does not simply forget Katawa Shoujo.."
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Hisao in Enter Stage Left wrote:"Hicchan? ... I've never liked that nickname."
...implying he's been called by that nickname even before he came to Yamaku - maybe by his parents.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Who on the team was the most persistent/annoying in getting other people off their lazy asses to do shit?
Swoopie

Post by Swoopie »

Aura wrote:
Swoopie wrote:Nice, a question thread, and a pretty popular one :)

I was wondering, are you all extremely empathic and gifted writers or could some of you relate to the strong emotions of the characters because of personal experience?
No.

Or maybe no, but... a story always has something of its writer in it. Only I could write the story I did, because of the stuff I've experienced and thought about, but it's not about something that has actually happened, like none of the stories in KS.
Thanks for that and you're right ofcourse, something someone writes is most of the times at least partly defined by previous experiences, but I was indeed wondering how much has been influenced. Anyhow, thanks for answering, I'm joining the legions of people who are thoroughly impressed by the amount of care you all put into the game!
Swoopie

Post by Swoopie »

Ippo279 wrote:This is something that's been bothering me lately. At the start of the game, Hisao reads the letter his parents left for him. In the letter, they speak to him using "Hicchan". I found this weird because at the time, Only Misha and Shizune know about this. Maybe I'm confused, but I don't know. Thanks in advance!
Good one, I only noticed the 'Hicchan' first when Misha said it. I'm totally unfamiliar in the world of Japanese visual novels, but I just assumed that it's just a sort of 'standard nickname format' used in Japanese (teenage) culture to transform someone's name when you like someone. Misha calls Shizune 'Shicchan' as well after all. Misha could be called 'Micchan' for instance.

And I would DEFINITELY call Lilly Licchan, if that didn't sound so awkward :mrgreen:
New Age Retro Hippie

Post by New Age Retro Hippie »

Aura wrote:
Theeyebrowsofdoom wrote:What do you think about this "Katawa Shoujo Plus" project?

Licence stuff aside (the game licence explicitely forbids this so technically I have to be strictly against it), I think the general sentiment is that we wish people would spend their efforts on something less blatantly derivative. While it's great if people are inspired to engage themselves with something, and I get that the fan phenomenon is in play here, it's kinda weird to try to do the exact same thing again. I guess the issue is a bit complex and hard to draw lines into, which is why we picked the licence we have.

Here's a post by Suriko on the subject: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?p=71572#p71572

(Before you attempt to draw a comparison to us getting inspired by raita, think hard whether the situations are actually comparable. Protip: they aren't)
I kind of agree with that. Mother 4 makes me sad for the same reason, and it'd be a lot more interesting if it was a project inspired by Itoi, not trying to follow up his work. I can still understand why people make derivative games like this, though, and I admit that I would likely give the idea some thought myself if I had any interest in making a game.

Since this is the Ask thread, I suppose I should do that. Hmmmm...

Oh!

Was the kid with the damaged/missing ear from Hisao's class/the art club ever supposed to have a portrait or dialogue? I was almost disappointed when I saw him in the art club but never got to interact with him, especially since it indicated that the two were not on the best of terms. :P
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

I can't seem to unlock the part below "Things you hate" in Rin's path Act 3
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Caesius wrote:Who on the team was the most persistent/annoying in getting other people off their lazy asses to do shit?
Different people got pestered by different people. Probably moekki.