Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

InSaiyan

Re: Ask!

Post by InSaiyan »

emi wrote:Sorry if it's been asked recently, but what are you guys working on now? Any projects apart from the Comiket artbooks?

The members of FLS are working on separate stuff now-a-days. I wish they'd come back together to do a continuation of each girls route.
"We're just two children, pretending to be adults, aren't we?"

Current project: Teach Me To Dance: A Natsume Ooe Pseudo-Route
Hobojoe

Post by Hobojoe »

InSaiyan wrote:
emi wrote:Sorry if it's been asked recently, but what are you guys working on now? Any projects apart from the Comiket artbooks?

The members of FLS are working on separate stuff now-a-days. I wish they'd come back together to do a continuation of each girls route.
There's really no reason fo them to continue the routes. They are happy with the end result, and KS is still gaining followers to this date, from across the world. Personally, I think if they did make a continuation it would kinda take away from KS' charm.
They already said they weren't gonna do anything more for KS outside the Artbooks. Chances are, they won't go back on it.
InSaiyan

Post by InSaiyan »

Hobojoe wrote:
InSaiyan wrote:

There's really no reason fo them to continue the routes. They are happy with the end result, and KS is still gaining followers to this date, from across the world. Personally, I think if they did make a continuation it would kinda take away from KS' charm.
They already said they weren't gonna do anything more for KS outside the Artbooks. Chances are, they won't go back on it.

I guess so, but it would be nice to have closure for some of these routes. I'm not naive enough to think they'll ever do anything more with KS though. Maybe someday they'll let someone do a remake with up to date art and animation.

Hobojoe

Post by Hobojoe »

Yeah, it would be nice. But there are plenty of fanfics out there that supposedly do a good job of that. I haven't read any myself. And also, I remake of KS would be nice, but it'd have to wait a while. KS isn't old enough for that yet. XD
Even so, I dunno how that would work. I mean, the art style is already pretty high up, I've seen some fanarts that reach the standard, and even some that exceed it. But some new Animations would be cool. Utilising something like the EMOTE system (I believe that's what it's called) would be pretty awesome, give the girls some life. But alas, it's chances of happening are near zero.
IcemanABC

Post by IcemanABC »

for KS devs involved with Hanako's route: are you surprised that she still has fans? by all means she should have been forgotten quickly as "the girl from a vn who those 4chan creeps made a rape scene and nothing else for" (and she certainly has in a lot of places; a route like hers doesn't retain fans) but she still has people here and there who like her, even in romantic ways that her story didn't so much as consider. is this an unexpected result and something you hoped to stamp out, or was there always a lingering understanding of "people will like a character no matter how much we degrade that character"?
Hobojoe

Post by Hobojoe »

IcemanABC wrote:for KS devs involved with Hanako's route: are you surprised that she still has fans? by all means she should have been forgotten quickly as "the girl from a vn who those 4chan creeps made a rape scene and nothing else for" (and she certainly has in a lot of places; a route like hers doesn't retain fans) but she still has people here and there who like her, even in romantic ways that her story didn't so much as consider. is this an unexpected result and something you hoped to stamp out, or was there always a lingering understanding of "people will like a character no matter how much we degrade that character"?
Man, Hanako is the god damn top-tier waifu. Pretty much everyone loves her, myself included. Also, the team never really made any character with the intent of them being easily forgotten, or disliked. Although Hanako's original story was like that, it was later changed.
jijhijhet

Post by jijhijhet »

I haven't been here in ages, I'm almost nostalgic.

Which brings me to:
How do I delete this account?
I kare not about grammer ro speling
InSaiyan

Post by InSaiyan »

jijhijhet wrote:I haven't been here in ages, I'm almost nostalgic.

Which brings me to:

Why would you ever want to delete something so beautiful from your life?

I imagine if you search your emails for KS forums, they'll have a disclosure at the bottom of am email about it though, most sites do.

Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

jijhijhet wrote:I haven't been here in ages, I'm almost nostalgic.

Which brings me to:
I don't really think this is so much a question for the devs of the game as for, well, customer service of whatever thing the forum is hosted in?
IcemanABC wrote:... or was there always a lingering understanding of "people will like a character no matter how much we degrade that character"?
That's some low tier bait lol
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

hobojou wrote:Man, Hanako is the god damn top-tier waifu. Pretty much everyone loves her, myself included. Also, the team never really made any character with the intent of them being easily forgotten, or disliked. Although Hanako's original story was like that, it was later changed.
First of all let me quote the OP:
Aura wrote:Since I expect there will be quite a few posts in this thread, here's a bit of a preface:

1) Even though this is a kind of a free arena and finishing the game made us less grumpy, we are not any less forgiving of stupidity. While commentary and followup questions are fine, try to not clog up the thread with unrelated posts, questions that have been answered before, or any general silliness.

2) There's a chance you won't get an answer to your question. It doesn't necessarily mean you are being ignored, it means that the question has no good answer or one we don't want to reveal. Move on.

3) Even if you think you know the answer to some question, don't answer it. Misinformation has a tendency to stick around, and the point of this thread is to clarify things, not muddle them up further. I will enforce this one pretty heavily until everyone gets the point. The exception is pointing out that the same question has been answered before (with a link)
And second: That post was pure trolling and the devs have been ignoring it for a reason.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
IcemanABC

Post by IcemanABC »

I'm not sure what part of the post offended either of you but it's an a real question and you don't need to jump to the defense of some writers turning tail when asked about their intentions. They can chicken out just fine without your help, and ban whoever hurts their feelings when it's appropriate, or just stay silent, or whatever.

Actually, I find it quite interesting that an actual internet troll with his weak bait would try to co-opt a response from the writers, breaking the very Rule 3 that he showed. There could just not be an answer since they didn't consider the ramifications of subverting her route, but the troll says "dey no respond since u troll" which is, unsurprisingly, going to cause confusion about what the writers actually think, if something like that were spread around as a rumor.
sauceman

Post by sauceman »

A question for Aura:

In reading Rin's route, I was interested to see the amount of focus placed on the difficulty of truly knowing someone, and the inadequacy of language in regard to this. This struck me as quite similar to absurdist commentary on the issue.

Would you say absurdist and existentialist philosophy/literature has influenced you at all?

Thank you!
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

IcemanABC wrote:I'm not sure what part of the post offended either of you but it's an a real question and you don't need to jump to the defense of some writers turning tail when asked about their intentions. They can chicken out just fine without your help, and ban whoever hurts their feelings when it's appropriate, or just stay silent, or whatever.

Actually, I find it quite interesting that an actual internet troll with his weak bait would try to co-opt a response from the writers, breaking the very Rule 3 that he showed. There could just not be an answer since they didn't consider the ramifications of subverting her route, but the troll says "dey no respond since u troll" which is, unsurprisingly, going to cause confusion about what the writers actually think, if something like that were spread around as a rumor.

Huh. Turns out I missed something here.

Assuming that your first post was a genuine question, the lack of answer wasn't from hiding or anything, it was simply from not noticing. I only come here when I get a notice from the system or I want to post something (this time it was the closing of the 5th anniversary comp on the subreddit).

Anyway, in case you don't know, Hanako had two writers. I had to leave the project after the first draft of the "released" path was done. Suriko took over it, and I like to think that he kept most of the same themes intact. But more on that later.

Am I surprised that Hanako has such a following? Yes. I'm surprised about almost every aspect of the KS fanbase. It's a source of inspiration and, to be honest, going to Comiket with the other devs and VN devs from other groups is about the closest thing I have to a non-work social life. I did not expect that when I first joined the project in the pre-4LS days.

Did we deliberately degrade her character? No. I wanted to go a different way with Hanako, but it didn't mesh with the game. So the two main themes that I wanted to look at (remembering that Suriko also mixed in his own themes) were:
1) The fact that someone like Hanako, who couldn't even enjoy someone wishing here a happy birthday, could "evolve" to a point where she could actually start a relationship and
2) That mollycoddling/white-knighting is not the answer to those kinds of people. They want to be respected and then loved, not pitied and loved.

With that in mind, instead of some fantastical teen romance story, getting Hanako to actually "fall in love" with Hisao was the story. After that, the power seemed to come out of the story, and it was like starting again on a whole new arc. I think that this is why a fan work like Sisterhood (which I still need to read) is both popular and long.
AFAIK, it addresses a whole new "story" in Hanako's life, which means that it needs the whole new beginning-middle-end/conflict etc. At the time of drafting the Hanako path, I couldn't think of a more dramatic conflict than Hanako finally accepting herself as a person and rejoining the world. To beat that and install a "second act" (as it were), you have to get a bit fantastical.
That's why the original Hanako paths had so much death and drama. Moving Hanako from Hermit to Hisao's Girlfriend was a feat in itself, so to have an interesting story after that required some real fantasy. And that is where I overstepped the line, going so far away from the rest of the game that we had to delete the whole path.

Suriko might have other opinions.

tl;dr No, we didn't purposely "degrade" Hanako. Yes, I am surprised at how popular she is. Writing stories is hard. Read my book (please - and rate it on Amazon)
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

Woah. Do you have a book, Crud?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw the link...
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Kon22 wrote:Woah. Do you have a book, Crud?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw the link...
Yeah I need to stop wavering between being obnoxious and embarrassed about promoting it.

Some more reviews on Amazon would help though!
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money