Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

It has. Before we had anything out, we didn't think too many people would care about KS. However, the Act 1 release turned out to pretty popular. People thought it was good and it gave us some indication of our popularity and a morale boost for working on the rest of the novel. So we kinda knew that the full game release would be big, just not how big. Even so, it exceeded our expectations in every possible way. Even in our most optimistic dreams we severely underestimated how widely it spread, how big an impact it made and how lasting and enthusiastic the fanbase would be.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Or to put it another way: "holy shit what are you kidding me". :lol:

And I'm still wondering what kind of splash we'll make with the JP translation.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Atario

Post by Atario »

Do you have any sort of stats indicating how many people have downloaded the game? (And if so, how many?)
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

I was reading through a few of the questions and I've ascertained that each dev was responsible for the story path of each of the 5 girls (which makes sense I guess). With characters such as Kenji and Yuuko (EDIT: And Hisao, come to think of it!), however, was this left to each writer's own devices, so to speak, or was there quite a bit of conference between you all to ensure they were as consistent as possible? Sorry if this has already been asked, only 3460 posts is a lot ^_^

Also, I expect you get bored of people telling you this after a while, but I just wanted to extend my gratitude to you all at 4LS for making this, it truly has been a life-changing experience. Thank you <3
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

The free dissemination of KS makes an actual count impossible, and I think we stopped counting even our site downloads a long while ago.

I'm a bit curious about that myself, so while I'm waiting to see if some fellow dev has harder data available, I think I can say that we have passed the millionth-download mark even by the most conservative estimate.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:I was reading through a few of the questions and I've ascertained that each dev was responsible for the story path of each of the 5 girls (which makes sense I guess). With characters such as Kenji and Yuuko (EDIT: And Hisao, come to think of it!), however, was this left to each writer's own devices, so to speak, or was there quite a bit of conference between you all to ensure they were as consistent as possible? Sorry if this has already been asked, only 3460 posts is a lot ^_^

Also, I expect you get bored of people telling you this after a while, but I just wanted to extend my gratitude to you all at 4LS for making this, it truly has been a life-changing experience. Thank you <3
Of course we developed all the characters to be as consistent as possible no matter who wrote them, with the exception of Hisao who is somewhere between a variable character and a consistent one. In some cases (like Kenji) a single writer who was deemed the "best" at writing the character wrote most of their dialogue, even in other stories.

As for the number of downloads, there's no hard data for the entire two years KS has been out, so knowing the actual download count is even more impossible than just having to estimate or ignore sources that are not us. It's of the order of hundreds of thousands though.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

So, with it having been done for a good while now... do you miss working on it?

Ever find yourself thinking "aww, man. This would have been a great idea for the game if I had come up with it several years ago,"?

For the various artbooks, who comes up with the themes for them? Is it put to a vote or what?
Not Dead Yet
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Oddball wrote:So, with it having been done for a good while now... do you miss working on it?

Ever find yourself thinking "aww, man. This would have been a great idea for the game if I had come up with it several years ago,"?

For the various artbooks, who comes up with the themes for them? Is it put to a vote or what?
Yes and no, sort of. I guess I can feel nostalgic or whatever, but I have plenty of fun working with my current projects too.

At least I don't get KS related ideas. It's done and wrapped up, pointless to keep thinking about it like that.

The art book themes are decided by the main coordinators/art directors. It's often been me and/or weee.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Oddball wrote:So, with it having been done for a good while now... do you miss working on it?
I still got the TL project going on, and an offer to join something, and I MIGHT at some unforeseen point in time (circa 2099) want to try doing my own thing too.

Therefore: miss what? :lol:

TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

To the first question, I have enough going on with my own projects and whatnot that I don't really miss it (I do miss having the sort of free time I had back then to work on it, as finding time for side projects with a job is a lot harder than finding time for side projects in college). Sometimes I miss working with a team, if only because it was good to have people pushing me to improve/actually deliver stuff on time.

To the second question, not really. I used to think of how I could have done things better, but eventually you stop worrying about that sort of thing.
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

Silentcook wrote:I still got the TL project going on
The what project?
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

TL is short for translation. I'm taking part in the Italian TL project and doing editor support for the other projects.

Atario

Post by Atario »

With a Japanese translation in the works, is any special thing being done regarding the word "katawa", since it's such a taboo and all? Like an authors' note or anything?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

You'll have to ask the JP TL team for that, but as far as I know nothing's being done, and I don't think we would be happy with any special treatment. The Act 1 graphics weren't modified either.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Of course not.