Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Brogurt

Re: Ask!

Post by Brogurt »

:o

And by all means, do not think that this post is any sort of indication that I don't want it to be read. I most certainly would like it to be read, and even better if its faults and triumphs are addressed and commented on.
Last edited by Brogurt on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

I'd read it, but I'm very distrustful of fanfics.

Also your avatar makes me want to punch you in the face.

Fuck you, Gary.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
PewPewK

Post by PewPewK »

Maybe not the best place to ask, but I'll give it a shot. According to the Kickstarter page for the art book, it says that after the convention and all online orders are taken into account that you'll sell the remaining books online. Now that AX is over, any indication on how many books are left and when they might go on sale? I really wanna get my hands on one. Where would I best look out for news regarding this?
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

Well, Hanako cheating on Hisao doesn't sound very realistic nor romantically beautiful to me, so I guess I won't be reading that fanfic anytime soon. Well, this is a topic dedicated to questions about Katawa Shoujo though, so let us don't go offtopic.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

Erenussocrates wrote:Well, this is a topic dedicated to questions about Katawa Shoujo though, so let us don't go offtopic.
After that thought crossed your mind you should have refrained from clicking the submit button in the first place
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

I always have more questions that when I end up on the question thread. Oh well, I guess you'll see me popping up every now and then with a question or two.

Anyway, this is a question specifically for those who composed the soundtrack, which was absolutely stellar by the way. So atmospheric and descriptive, probably one of the best OSTs I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. My question was: A lot of the songs are listed as having multiple contributing composers. How was it working with others on the same songs? Did they bring different things to the table?
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest wrote:Hello. I've finished playing the game now. Thank you for the wonderful experience.
Here are some questions I feel compelled to ask about the production of this fascinating game.

In Emi's route, if you 'misstep' while visiting her house, is there a reason she grins sadistically? This one frame seems out of place while the rest of the game seems to interlock perfectly. It's almost like you wanted to use a different frame of Emi gritting her teeth and didn't have one - is this the case?

In Rin's route, is there any way to avoid blowing up in anger at Rin? Or is it simply destined to happen?

Is it possible to die from your heart condition at any time in the game? I understand it is possible to fall off a roof.

Are there any scenes in this game which are not listed as in the game until you discover them? I could have sworn I had seen all of Act 1 - and then, I stumbled across new scenes in it. I mean specifically 'Nc5xb3'. Are there other secrets?

How can you view the credits without clearing a route?

Does Rin shave, or is it natural? And if she does, HOW?

Why does Misha not play Risk? Risk with only 2 players is very boring.
You could find out the answer to most of these questions by just playing the game, but here we go:
1. Too lazy dig up the exact cue, it can be a visualization error or just in your head. Dunno.
2. There's no way to avoid Hisao getting angry at Rin
3. It's not possible for Hisao to die due to his condition in KS
4. There are no secret scenes. Nc5xb3 is not a secret scene.
5. You can't view the credits outside of reaching an ending
6. I'll leave that up to your imagination
7. Misha does play, but she's terrible.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

PewPewK wrote:Maybe not the best place to ask, but I'll give it a shot. According to the Kickstarter page for the art book, it says that after the convention and all online orders are taken into account that you'll sell the remaining books online. Now that AX is over, any indication on how many books are left and when they might go on sale? I really wanna get my hands on one. Where would I best look out for news regarding this?
Looks like unfortunately you're out of luck. Almost the entire print run was sold, so there's not enough books to bother setting up sales stuff for.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Here's a question that's probably been asked, and probably been answered, and is probably buried somewhere in the giant stack of information associated with Katawa Shoujo.

Where in Japan is Yamaku supposed to be exactly? What region, I mean.

I'm sure it was said somewhere, maybe even in the VN itself, but my brain is betraying me.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Helbereth wrote:Here's a question that's probably been asked, and probably been answered, and is probably buried somewhere in the giant stack of information associated with Katawa Shoujo.

Where in Japan is Yamaku supposed to be exactly? What region, I mean.

I'm sure it was said somewhere, maybe even in the VN itself, but my brain is betraying me.
Northern half of Honshu
PewPewK

Post by PewPewK »

Aura wrote:
PewPewK wrote:Maybe not the best place to ask, but I'll give it a shot. According to the Kickstarter page for the art book, it says that after the convention and all online orders are taken into account that you'll sell the remaining books online. Now that AX is over, any indication on how many books are left and when they might go on sale? I really wanna get my hands on one. Where would I best look out for news regarding this?
Looks like unfortunately you're out of luck. Almost the entire print run was sold, so there's not enough books to bother setting up sales stuff for.
Aww, way to crush my spirit! Oh well, thanks for the response.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

OK, here's a more specific question.

When does the Yamaku 3-day break actually happen? Trying to establish a timeline has been making me crazy.

I'd also like to know when exactly they celebrate Tanabata. I looked it up and there's a range of days it could fall on depending on region and local customs.
random

Post by random »

Speaking of Tanabata, how come only Shizune's route had it?
Out-All Knight

Post by Out-All Knight »

How's your standing with your game's fans?
Ascended Flutist

Post by Ascended Flutist »

Out-All Knight wrote:How's your standing with your game's fans?

Linky :]
Aura wrote: The KS fanbase... we are pretty awkward about it. The existence of a KS fan community in the first place is pretty incredible, not to say anything about how big it is. Anyway, a majority of 4LS doesn't really want to do the community interaction thing, and the ones that do, like me, seem to be somewhat out of touch with the fan phenomenon. I want to be appreciative of the attention and not dismiss it as rabid/brainless fanaticism but it's not always easy to stay comfortable with the huge amount and wide range of stuff the fan community does. Heck, it's hard to be comfortable with the thought of how monstrous the KS fan community is in the first place. An interesting KS community that I was recently introduced to is the KS General threads on 4chan. Someone calculated that since the game was released there has been close to half a million posts on those threads, and the community is not like anything I've seen elsewhere before. The threads are active 24/7, with people from different timezones saying good night as they go to sleep simultaneously to others calling good morning from 8 hours ahead of them. It feels like a very strongly identifying community, much more so than our forums, for instance, and I think it's pretty amazing how KS spawned something like that. Then there's of course all the fan fiction, art, fan games and so on. All of it is nice.

The response to KS, the "feels" and such, I don't know what to make of it. Obviously we knew that people would claim waifus and get attached to the characters, but the overwhelming intensity of the experience to so many people is inexplicable. Unlike for instance Jun Maeda's VNs, KS doesn't try to manipulate the reader's emotions to get that kind of reaction, so we were surprised at the strong reactions. The really amazing thing though is that KS has inspired a lot of people to improve their lives. I can see the "feels" coming from the romantic pathos that's all over the game, but there is absolutely nothing in KS that should inspire one get their shit together, start working out, get better grades or what have you. It was really unexpected. As I said I don't really know what to think about all this, but drawing a reaction from the reader is one of the core goals of a writer, so I am satisfied.
And to live in Peace A post Hanako Good End fanfiction. That about sums it up.

Fanfics Thou shalt not regret reading : Bloodline, Doomish's Misha Pseudo-route, Rika's Story, A Pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route.
There are many other apocryphas worth reading in the fanfiction section. Do yourself a favor, dig them up and read them. Reading is good.

Nice hat.