Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

brythain wrote:
Aura wrote:We didn't count the number of moles on anyone's butt, but obviously things like mannerisms, posture, body language and such are important to be able to both write and illustrate a character. I spent a lot of time with kamifish thinking about Rin's body language, because she can't use hands which are a fairly important form of nonverbal communication.
Thanks; I think that outlines the range of my question and answers it in general. While you didn't count the number of moles on anyone's butt (to use your figure of speech), was there anything you did at that level of detail re the characters' physical selves? For example, where exactly do Rin's arms end, and what is the extent of Hanako's scarring?
Those are not comparable levels of detail. Scarring or Rin's arms are significant aspects of character design because they're almost always on view and draw attention, butt moles aren't. Granted, fibbing any detail can be jarring to an observant audience, but we didn't sweat them too much. Getting big things like your examples more consistent is just in the nature of artists. I guess Hisao's penis could be one example of semi-unnecessary detailing, especially since it ultimately didn't show too many times in the final VN.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
SiniisteR

Post by SiniisteR »

There was a question I want to ask about Hanako's route, specifically its plot. While the rest of the routes (except for maybe Rin, as I've yet to play hers so can't be sure) follow a similar template consisting of becoming closer friends with the love interest, eventually confessing to the LI or vice versa which begins the romantic relationship, relationship comes close to (if not) breaking up, due to a certain circumstance, and following each good ending, eventually repairs itself.

Obviously, this is different in Hanakos route due to her very shy nature that in a way, brings the whole process back a step. My question is was there ever a scrapped plot that included the 'arc' of a genuine relationship that comes close to break up due to some circumstance, but is then resolved; and if so, was there an idea of what that circumstance could've been?
SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:Lilly diddling herself
Lilliddy dillidy doo, bee-boppin' that blind bugaboo.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

I can't answer this without massively ruining Rin's route for you, so here's the answer in spoiler tags for everyone else and for you after you've read it. No peeking.

Yes, Rin's route is exactly this. She's thematically an "anti-love interest" where she and Hisao don't ever really click, and she's not even all that interested in romance. Her entire framework of human relationships and what she values is just different from Hisao's (and most readers'). The events in the story like the atelier arc and especially its conclusion just accentuate this. It's arguable whether the schism even gets resolved or not, in the end. There were no other storylines with similar dynamic.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Darklord13

Post by Darklord13 »

I know this has probably been answered before and i hate to ask again but i couldn't find it anywhere.Why is the KS Achievements thread closed?
''Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind.'' - Marcel Proust
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Darklord13 wrote:I know this has probably been answered before and i hate to ask again but i couldn't find it anywhere.Why is the KS Achievements thread closed?
It's ran its course. as much as I hate to admit. There are only so many achievements you can make before things start to repeat
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Silentcook sometimes closes threads when the quality of discussion drops below a certain bar he has.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Were any characters based on anyone specific, or at least were made with a conscious resemblance to someone, either physically or characteristically?
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Ritter Delorges

Post by Ritter Delorges »

In your opinion, with which other art form does a Visual Novel have most in common from an author's perspective?

From other things I have read here, I suspect that you didn't really approach it as a game. Do you think it had more in common with writing the other kind of novel, or on the level of an individual route perhaps rather a novella? A play? A comic? Or do you think it is so substantially different that such comparisons don't make sense?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:Were any characters based on anyone specific, or at least were made with a conscious resemblance to someone, either physically or characteristically?
Not very much I think. The only things I can I think of are Hive using the words "David Tennant" somewhere in the first description of Mutou, and Nomiya's glasses which are similar though different colour to an old art teacher of mine.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Ritter Delorges wrote:In your opinion, with which other art form does a Visual Novel have most in common from an author's perspective?

From other things I have read here, I suspect that you didn't really approach it as a game. Do you think it had more in common with writing the other kind of novel, or on the level of an individual route perhaps rather a novella? A play? A comic? Or do you think it is so substantially different that such comparisons don't make sense?
Vns are their own thing so I approached writing KS as a VN, but obviously they share similarities with other forms of literature. I personally mostly liken them to (puppet) theater and comics, but the actual writing process still remains closest to writing straight up prose (by my own choice, there's no rule that states that VNs must have narration or natural grammatical structure).
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I also recall having heard that Kenji was essentially an exaggerated A22.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

That's more a joke than a fact. 22 invented the character and is the best at writing him.
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

There's a reason why you choose to make a game out of Raita's sketch, or it kinda just happened? Like, "Here, let's just do it around this".

If I'm not wrong, since the beggining you had a general idea of what the game was about. Do you think this helped keeping the project on track? Did anyone ever tried to change the setting/characters too much and you scrapped something because of that?
Darklord13

Post by Darklord13 »

Do you know anything about 4LS's twitter?Why has it gone silent?
''Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind.'' - Marcel Proust
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

From my point of view it just happened, but who knows. The OP of the first thread would need to answer the question. Maybe he or she had some more profound reason than just "4chan never does anything productive, wouldn't this be cool?"

A general idea is sort of required to even start working on anything. Rather than that, having a strong idea of the scope the project helped to keep eyes on target. Beyond a certain point and certain limits, nobody tried to make any super fundamental changes because we all understood it wouldn't be possible. We picked a direction and went for that.