Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ivegottogodosomthing

Re: Ask!

Post by ivegottogodosomthing »

Zombiedude101 wrote:How'd you learn to deal with bad publicity, such as this: http://theglobaldaily.net/010412.html

Also, do you have any future plans for Visual Novels?
These people are extremely ignorant as to the actual content of the game; I'm surprised they'd publish such a thing, and even go as far as comparing it to a rape simulator. Ironically, the game stresses love, empathy, and understanding, and they are making it out to be some X-rated smut featuring cripples. Disgraceful.

And even if it was encouraging people to cut off their limbs, the stupidity of that guy would be 100% at fault, not some silly game. It reminds me of the people who blame Grand Theft Auto for their kids misbehaving. God forbid someone admit that their kid is an idiot or they've failed as a parent. It must have been the media's fault.
New Age Retro Hippie

Post by New Age Retro Hippie »

ivegottogodosomthing wrote:
Zombiedude101 wrote:How'd you learn to deal with bad publicity, such as this: http://theglobaldaily.net/010412.html

These people are extremely ignorant as to the actual content of the game; I'm surprised they'd publish such a thing, and even go as far as comparing it to a rape simulator. Ironically, the game stresses love, empathy, and understanding, and they are making it out to be some X-rated smut featuring cripples. Disgraceful.

And even if it was encouraging people to cut off their limbs, the stupidity of that guy would be 100% at fault, not some silly game. It reminds me of the people who blame Grand Theft Auto for their kids misbehaving. God forbid someone admit that their kid is an idiot or they've failed as a parent. It must have been the media's fault.
I think that it was a joke at the game's expense.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

>theglobaldaily
>any more reliable than the onion
pick one
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Nicol Armarfi wrote:I don't notice any similarities between the two pieces of music, and I'd have to disagree that the feeling is the same.
Thanks for the explanation. Was just my mind playing tricks, then. Keep up the good work :)
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me

Post by Guest »

What did Shizune sign to Hisao that Misha refused to translate in the first act? I don't think that was ever revealed.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

McBaggin wrote:Any interesting developer commentary/fun trivia about the game that most people are likely to miss from you guys?
Well, this thread is full of stuff like that, and so is the blog. We're not the best judges on whats interesting, but I'm sure lots of anecdotes would be so.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Our secret is not giving a fuck. Also that article is bogus. Also, nothing we'd want to talk about.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest wrote:What did Shizune sign to Hisao that Misha refused to translate in the first act? I don't think that was ever revealed.
It's a s-e-c-r-e-t.
The_Dudinator

Post by The_Dudinator »

All of the images and pictures which are in the game, meaning those without any characters in them, did you guys take the pictures and edit them with Photoshop, or just plucked them off of the internet or something like that?
In Order Of Completion

Emi: 8.0 ----- Lilly: 10.0 ----- Hanako: 7.5 ----- Shizune: 8.5 ----- Rin: 9.0

uwa

Post by uwa »

Silentcook wrote:The game's first draft had a bodycount of a minimum of one and a maximum of three dead characters, depending on which and how many wrong turns you took.

I kind of wish one of those deaths stayed in, too. All considered, it might have made for a better end result, storytelling-wise.
Thank you for answering.

Was there ever a global decision that a bodycount wasn't good, or did they just happen to go away one-by-one through story revisions/improvement?

Did the unavoidable one change based on path/ending? (other than places where Hisao was killed off early, like the Kenji Act 1 end)

I was just thinking that, as one of the ideas in the Hanako path is that you can't fix her, well, an unavoidable death in that situation would be a hell of a way to drive the point home.

Sorry if I sound pushy, I just figure that if you don't like it you won't answer.
Last edited by uwa on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emi > Lilly > Misha > Hanako = Rin > Shizune... I might just prefer women who put out a lot.
Mind-stickiness: Hanako > Misha = Shizune > Rin > Emi > Lilly
Malkav

Post by Malkav »

Hmm... I'm not sure whether this thread's numerous posters have impressed me or disappointed me. Here's to hoping this thread doesn't require locking/closing in the near future!

Anyway, first question: was there a particular reason that Lilly's "Good End" was the only path that had an Epilogue? Or was that snippet after the credits something else? Whatever its purpose, it definitely stood out!

Also, to each dev: if you could go back in time right now and change the story you were writing/art you were creating in some way, which change would be most important to you/which change would you want to make more than anything else? Why? This second question isn't really all that important, but for those of you who enjoy these kinds of introspective questions (or maybe are feeling rather pensive/wistful), I thought I would at least set the stage for your thoughts :)

And as you've likely heard from hundreds of others: thank you for sharing this masterpiece with us all. Oh, and thanks in advance for maybe answering my question(s), too!
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

The_Dudinator wrote:All of the images and pictures which are in the game, meaning those without any characters in them, did you guys take the pictures and edit them with Photoshop, or just plucked them off of the internet or something like that?
I assume you mean the backgrounds? Most of them were photos taken by us, a couple are public domain.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Malkav wrote:Anyway, first question: was there a particular reason that Lilly's "Good End" was the only path that had an Epilogue? Or was that snippet after the credits something else? Whatever its purpose, it definitely stood out!
Suriko was the only writer who didn't think epilogues are lame.
Also, to each dev: if you could go back in time right now and change the story you were writing/art you were creating in some way, which change would be most important to you/which change would you want to make more than anything else? Why? This second question isn't really all that important, but for those of you who enjoy these kinds of introspective questions (or maybe are feeling rather pensive/wistful), I thought I would at least set the stage for your thoughts :)
Even though I'm not entirely happy with everything, I don't really feel like I would like to change anything in KS. It's done, it's the way it is, and that's that.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Apologies in advance if this question has been asked already or if this is not quite the right thread for such a question. This has been bothering me for a while, and although I've played through Shizune's route 2 and a half times, I still can't figure it out. It seems like I'm missing something really obvious.

In Shizune's bad ending - specifically, in Spiral - as Hisao encounters Kenji on a nighttime stroll, he takes some time to reflect on his troubles with Shizune. He specifically mentions an incident where he "lied through his hands" to Shizune while "carrying on an entirely different conversation with Misha", and then starts wondering whether Shizune can read lips. I can't remember this incident ever taking place. I even re-read back from Tongue-Tied specifically looking for such an incident, but couldn't find it. What incident is Hisao thinking about here? Is it in the game, or is it, like the two fights between Shizune and Misha, only referred to but never experienced? If it is part of the game, what scene is it in?
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
ivegottogodosomthing

Post by ivegottogodosomthing »

Mirrormn wrote:Apologies in advance if this question has been asked already or if this is not quite the right thread for such a question. This has been bothering me for a while, and although I've played through Shizune's route 2 and a half times, I still can't figure it out. It seems like I'm missing something really obvious.

In Shizune's bad ending - specifically, in Spiral - as Hisao encounters Kenji on a nighttime stroll, he takes some time to reflect on his troubles with Shizune. He specifically mentions an incident where he "lied through his hands" to Shizune while "carrying on an entirely different conversation with Misha", and then starts wondering whether Shizune can read lips. I can't remember this incident ever taking place. I even re-read back from Tongue-Tied specifically looking for such an incident, but couldn't find it. What incident is Hisao thinking about here? Is it in the game, or is it, like the two fights between Shizune and Misha, only referred to but never experienced? If it is part of the game, what scene is it in?
I actually asked myself the same thing when I finished her bad route. Never found it when looking back, so I just gave up.