Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Re: Ask!

Post by Guest »

How do you pronounce some of the names ?

I thought Hisao was Hi-so. Apparently its not. Apparently shi-zoo-n is also wrong.
Pimmy
~VIBRATIONS~

Post by Pimmy »

Guest wrote:How do you pronounce some of the names ?

I thought Hisao was Hi-so. Apparently its not. Apparently shi-zoo-n is also wrong.
Japanese vowels are all pronounced the same for every word (There's exceptions, but not for these names).
A = ah I = ee U = oo E = eh O = oh
I won't get detailed, but all should be pronounced as fairly short sounds.

So Hisao is "hee-sah-oh" and Shizune is "She-zoo-neh".

Also, it's very important that you don't emphasize the middle syllable. English speakers will do that unconsciously most of the time. It's not She ZOO neh, its Sheezuneh. A good way to practice this is by stressing the first syllable instead of the middle one, and then saying it one more time the same way, but without stressing the first one.

Oh, and some discussion reminded me I should point out that nicknames like "hicchan" and "shicchan" are probably not pronounced how the layman might think either! There is no hard "c" sound in them. So avoid "hick-chan" and "shick-chan", if you are inclined to pronounce it that way. the double consonant comes from a way of translating a certain character into roman letters. "Shicchan" in japanese is しっちゃん. and that "っ" you see does something weird to the way you pronounce the syllable proceeding it. I'm not sure how to explain because I mostly learned it by ear, but the double consonant kind of denotes a hiccup between those two syllables. So instead of "Sheechan" you have "She[break]chan".
DaLadybugMan

Post by DaLadybugMan »

Hey, guys! Congratulations on the game! It's clear that it really impacted a lot of people, and I'm sure that it's a great feeling to know that those five years weren't spent in vain. Anyway, I naturally had a few questions.

1. Seeing Misha's Bush/Cheney 2004 shirt made me realize that I didn't know what year the game was set (obviously, it couldn't have been set earlier than the 2004 election season), and the fact that the development process took place over multiple years doesn't help. I was wondering if you have an idea of what year the events of the game take place, or if it's intentionally left ambiguous.

2. As a semi-related question, where exactly did Misha obtain said Bush/Cheney shirt? I don't imagine there's a lot of overseas campaigning :D

3. One thing that really stood out to me about the game was the interesting side characters (except Hideaki, who I personally found kind of dull). I was wondering, if you didn't have to worry about story and pacing restrictions, which side character (i.e., apart from the main six girls) you'd like to have been able to explore more in-depth within the game.

4. Were there any characters who received a fair amount of development that didn't make it into the game as anything more than a cameo (like the rest of Hisao's classmates, for example)?

5. Related to the last two points, which character had the most undisplayed development: backstory, personality, desires, and other miscellaneous things that just didn't make it into the game because it ultimately wasn't important?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

DaLadybugMan wrote:Hey, guys! Congratulations on the game! It's clear that it really impacted a lot of people, and I'm sure that it's a great feeling to know that those five years weren't spent in vain. Anyway, I naturally had a few questions.

1. Seeing Misha's Bush/Cheney 2004 shirt made me realize that I didn't know what year the game was set (obviously, it couldn't have been set earlier than the 2004 election season), and the fact that the development process took place over multiple years doesn't help. I was wondering if you have an idea of what year the events of the game take place, or if it's intentionally left ambiguous.

2. As a semi-related question, where exactly did Misha obtain said Bush/Cheney shirt? I don't imagine there's a lot of overseas campaigning :D

3. One thing that really stood out to me about the game was the interesting side characters (except Hideaki, who I personally found kind of dull). I was wondering, if you didn't have to worry about story and pacing restrictions, which side character (i.e., apart from the main six girls) you'd like to have been able to explore more in-depth within the game.

4. Were there any characters who received a fair amount of development that didn't make it into the game as anything more than a cameo (like the rest of Hisao's classmates, for example)?

5. Related to the last two points, which character had the most undisplayed development: backstory, personality, desires, and other miscellaneous things that just didn't make it into the game because it ultimately wasn't important?
1. It's intentionally ambiguous in the game, but the year is 2007.
2. A thrift store probably
3. For me, Nomiya.
4. I don't think there were any.
5. Impossible to say. Maybe Akira.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
bradpara

Post by bradpara »

First, where is Hisao from orginally, the dialouge frequently states the he is from a very large city, so I am thinking prehaps Tokyo?
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic

Post by Guest »

Pimmy wrote:
Guest wrote:How do you pronounce some of the names ?

Japanese vowels are all pronounced the same for every word (There's exceptions, but not for these names).
A = ah I = ee U = oo E = eh O = oh
I won't get detailed, but all should be pronounced as fairly short sounds.

So Hisao is "hee-sah-oh" and Shizune is "She-zoo-neh".

Also, it's very important that you don't emphasize the middle syllable. English speakers will do that unconsciously most of the time. It's not She ZOO neh, its Sheezuneh. A good way to practice this is by stressing the first syllable instead of the middle one, and then saying it one more time the same way, but without stressing the first one.

Oh, and some discussion reminded me I should point out that nicknames like "hicchan" and "shicchan" are probably not pronounced how the layman might think either! There is no hard "c" sound in them. So avoid "hick-chan" and "shick-chan", if you are inclined to pronounce it that way. the double consonant comes from a way of translating a certain character into roman letters. "Shicchan" in japanese is しっちゃん. and that "っ" you see does something weird to the way you pronounce the syllable proceeding it. I'm not sure how to explain because I mostly learned it by ear, but the double consonant kind of denotes a hiccup between those two syllables. So instead of "Sheechan" you have "She[break]chan".
Japanese even in English confuses me... So "hicchan" is pronounced "he chan" ? I dont see why you have breaks, its one word, having a break there seems odd.
Wait, so "Rin", is pronounced "Reen". Damn I even had her name wrong then. Learn something new every day.

Post by Guest »

I hear a lot of people saying "Reen", but the best I could explain it is a sharp "R" (are there even any english words with a sharp R? I can't think of any right now), "I" like in "information" (very short) and N like in "mean". So, I guess I could say it's pronounced like "Rin", but with a sharp R. Similar to, say, gin.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Similar to, say, gin.
Meaning the "I" sounds exactly as long.
Pimmy
~VIBRATIONS~

Post by Pimmy »

Guest wrote:I hear a lot of people saying "Reen", but the best I could explain it is a sharp "R" (are there even any english words with a sharp R? I can't think of any right now), "I" like in "information" (very short) and N like in "mean". So, I guess I could say it's pronounced like "Rin", but with a sharp R. Similar to, say, gin.
Wait, are you saying that when you type out "reen" you're imagining something that rhymes with gin? Because that just makes things difficult. I pronounce it like "gin" but that's not the correct way. It's more like "reen" as you said before. with a long I sound. ANd if you wanted to be super accurate you could go with a japanesey R sound which is kinda like R and L and the same time.

As for the "stop" in hicchan/shicchan, it's not a full stop like two words, it's uh... I dunno someone else can cover it. EDIT thanks poster below me!
Yuuko, Nurse, or Kenji
Benkei

Post by Benkei »

Guest wrote:Japanese even in English confuses me... So "hicchan" is pronounced "he chan" ? I dont see why you have breaks, its one word, having a break there seems odd.
Wait, so "Rin", is pronounced "Reen". Damn I even had her name wrong then. Learn something new every day.
From WWWJDIC, here's a sample of a native speaker saying 必着 "hicchaku", a word which is as close to Hicchan as I'm going to get in a dictionary. Do you hear the epiglottal interruption in between the "hee" sound and the "cha" sound? That's what the っ in Hisao's nickname ひっちゃん does: it's an epiglottal ... "pause" of sorts. (Not really a technical pause, but...) Probably the closest example I could give in English would be the word "uh-oh." I think that most people would say it like "uh [epiglottal] oh" and not as a fluid "uhoh". That distinctive sound (or absence of sound) in between the "uh" and the "oh" parts of the word uh-oh ... that's what is represented in English spelling of Japanese words by repeating a consonant twice. So like ... I'll give some examples and put the relevant letter in boldface and I'll give you audio samples where available (just click on the Japanese characters to hear the word): The tone of voice in some of those samples is a little funny but pay it no heed: just focus on the timing, on the meter (if you're musically inclined). Notice how they don't say "hapa" (two beats) but instead "ha (interruption) pa" (three beats) or how they don't say "karapo" (three beats) but instead "kara (interruption) po" (four beats).

Here's another illustration, this time showing you the exact same phonemes except for the difference of one っ: kakou vs. kakkou.

I realize I'm not who you directed this question towards :oops:, but I hope this helps.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Pimmy wrote: As for the "stop" in hicchan/shicchan, it's not a full stop like two words, it's uh... I dunno someone else can cover it. EDIT thanks poster below me!
It's called glottal stop. Also asking for or giving pronounciation advice through English is a horrible idea, because the language is one of the worst and most confusing to pronounce in the entire world. Learn the IPA if you want to learn how to pronounce other languages.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Tsundere Lightning

Post by Tsundere Lightning »

First off, I'd like to thank you very much for the release of this excellent game.

My personal favorite path in the game was Rin's, mostly because I know people with the same sort of obsessive artistic passions, and frequently am one of them. Would the path writer for Rin say that this was based on personal experience as an artist, or anyone in particular that they knew (not naming names)?
Shizune apologist, Rin fan, semipro visual novelist, noted attention whore

I write KS fanfic. I preread KS fanfic. PM me with requests for either.
delta wrote: I've been caustic and mean since before 4chan even existed.

Post by Guest »

Pimmy wrote:Wait, are you saying that when you type out "reen" you're imagining something that rhymes with gin? Because that just makes things difficult. I pronounce it like "gin" but that's not the correct way. It's more like "reen" as you said before. with a long I sound. ANd if you wanted to be super accurate you could go with a japanesey R sound which is kinda like R and L and the same time.
I wasn't actually the same Guest as before, but was trying to apparently try to teach him the wrong way to say it. Further research into the issue proved wrong. I guess I should shake off my habit of thinking I know how stuff are without actually looking into it. As Aura said, English is a bitch and I can't be arsed to look up the IPA stuff necessary to really explain it.

Shamefur dispray on my part.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Tsundere Lightning wrote:First off, I'd like to thank you very much for the release of this excellent game.

My personal favorite path in the game was Rin's, mostly because I know people with the same sort of obsessive artistic passions, and frequently am one of them. Would the path writer for Rin say that this was based on personal experience as an artist, or anyone in particular that they knew (not naming names)?
She's not based on anyone.

Post by Guest »

Pimmy wrote:snip (long post, hope you dont mind)
Benkei wrote:snip (long post, hope you dont mind)
Ah ok, I get it, still cant pronounce (I can in my head) it becuase stopping a word like that either results in a long pause or it flows. But I get it.

Thanks guys.