Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

ArcCain wrote:
Suriko wrote:I have zero interest in writing a Japanese high school story ever again.
A few of the writers has said the same thing, care to elaborate on it? Why would you not want to write about Japanese high school story´s?
Mostly it's just that too much of the same thing makes it boring as hell. The high school setting is insanely overused in Japanese pop fiction, there's not much room to explore it in interesting ways. It also puts constrains the story in ways I don't like (or you have to break out of them with really stupid bullshit).
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Woody Alien wrote:When helping Rin paint the mural in Act 1, Hisao mentions reading a book about some people drinking beer and doing little else. What kind of book is that?
It was a throwaway reference to a book I was reading at the time or recently finished, much like crud's Life of Pi or some other novels Hisao reads throughout KS. I didn't name the book because it's not actually translated to Japanese, and it remains a fun "easter egg" for industrious readers to figure out what book I mean. Nobody so far has gotten it right.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

muliebrity wrote:Were any of you fans of Raita's work before you started working on the game, or had you not heard of him before that image was posted on 4-chan?
While I wasn't really a fan of his, RAITA was not unknown to me, probably not for many others either. At the time he was most famous for his peculiar way of drawing girls, in the west especially for an erotic Azumanga Daioh doujin he did and his penchant for really great military and mechanical design.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Raziel wrote:ASL?
In other words,
If you don't mind me asking, where are you guys from (IRL)
Hivemind is in Chicago ( saw it in his tumblr )
http://thehivemindwrites.tumblr.com/
I'm Finnish.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Raziel wrote:Describe Rin's path of thought,
I think of my own more like a big ball of wobbly wobbly thinking... thing..

Does rin have aspergers? Some ppl speculate so...
People speculate on a lot of things.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Aura wrote:
ArcCain wrote:
Suriko wrote:I have zero interest in writing a Japanese high school story ever again.
A few of the writers has said the same thing, care to elaborate on it? Why would you not want to write about Japanese high school story´s?
Mostly it's just that too much of the same thing makes it boring as hell. The high school setting is insanely overused in Japanese pop fiction, there's not much room to explore it in interesting ways. It also puts constrains the story in ways I don't like (or you have to break out of them with really stupid bullshit).
Elaborating further:
Because the setting has been done into the ground. Because high school is actually really fucking boring. Because the idea that high school is THE MOST IMPORTANT YEARS OF YOUR LIFE is fucking dumb. Because there are literally thousands of other ideas out there that are more interesting.

Because I do not really care that much about Japanese culture. Because the only reason KS was even set in a Japanese high school is 'cause five years ago that is what got a bunch of chucklefucks on /a/ to agree to make a game together and by the time we realized what a boring goddamn setting it is we were too late.
muliebrity wrote:Were any of you fans of Raita's work before you started working on the game, or had you not heard of him before that image was posted on 4-chan?
I didn't know who he was. I still don't really know his work beyond that one page.
Tang

Post by Tang »

Was it a reference to I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell?

Were there times during the development of KS where you could just sit back and look at the (slow) progress, and say "Wow" because you could suddenly see it coming together?
Last edited by Tang on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

TheHivemind wrote: Elaborating further:
Because the setting has been done into the ground. Because high school is actually really fucking boring. Because the idea that high school is THE MOST IMPORTANT YEARS OF YOUR LIFE is fucking dumb. Because there are literally thousands of other ideas out there that are more interesting.

Because I do not really care that much about Japanese culture. Because the only reason KS was even set in a Japanese high school is 'cause five years ago that is what got a bunch of chucklefucks on /a/ to agree to make a game together and by the time we realized what a boring goddamn setting it is we were too late.
The same can probably be said for any story setting you've already used extensively. With all this in mind though, if you had the chance to direct the story into another location, I'm curious about where would you have set KS if not at a Japanese High School.
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Helbereth wrote:With all this in mind though, if you had the chance to direct the story into another location, I'm curious about where would you have set KS if not at a Japanese High School.
My thoughts exactly. I thought it was set in a high school because that was the concept in the first place.
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

I think i accidentally on rin , is that bad?
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Aura wrote:
Woody Alien wrote:When helping Rin paint the mural in Act 1, Hisao mentions reading a book about some people drinking beer and doing little else. What kind of book is that?
It was a throwaway reference to a book I was reading at the time or recently finished, much like crud's Life of Pi or some other novels Hisao reads throughout KS. I didn't name the book because it's not actually translated to Japanese, and it remains a fun "easter egg" for industrious readers to figure out what book I mean. Nobody so far has gotten it right.
Juoppohullun päiväkirja? :?:
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

re-doing this since it came out wrong the first time ,
How does rin lack a Pubic hair but Emi has some? I think it should be the other way around...
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

I followed his work beforehand. His mechanical designs are quite interesting, to my mind moreso than his girls. I'm a big Valkyria Chronicles game fan, too, and have a couple of his artbooks for it IRL.
Helbereth wrote:
TheHivemind wrote: Elaborating further:

The same can probably be said for any story setting you've already used extensively. With all this in mind though, if you had the chance to direct the story into another location, I'm curious about where would you have set KS if not at a Japanese High School.
1930sish Russian orphanage or boarding school. Probably not the most uplifting tale as one could imagine.

Japanese high school gets special mention as it really is a plague on the visual novel medium. It's difficult to think of another media so entirely gripped by a single setting, excepting very rare AAA releases or independents.
Raziel wrote:ASL?
In other words,
If you don't mind me asking, where are you guys from (IRL)
Hivemind is in Chicago ( saw it in his tumblr )
http://thehivemindwrites.tumblr.com/
I'm Australian.
marian11

Post by marian11 »

Hello people.

Yesterday I finished Hanako's route and it was really awesome.

Now I want to do Lilly's route, but do I have to start the game from the very beginning to get to her route ?

Thanks in advance :)
A Forum Member

Post by A Forum Member »

How come Aura has godlike english skills when he/she is not a native english speaker? And why does Aura posts five times in a row instead of citing multiple people in one post?