Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:10 am
Location: Australia

Re: Ask!

Post by Suriko » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:36 pm

Greekscouse wrote:Are all the characters in the game fictional, or are there some based on real life people ? Also ever planing on doing anything like this ever again in the future, either as a team or individually ?
None of the characters are outright based on real people. Various people that each developer knows may have had influences on aspects of some of the characters within KS, but that's inevitable.

There won't ever be another game made by everyone that made Katawa Shoujo. It's very likely that smaller groups of developers from within the team may make some VNs in future, but definitely nothing on the scale of KS.

ben

Re: Ask!

Post by ben » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:08 am

Is it implied Misha has brain damage? I thought it was mentioned he fell down stairs or something. :? We may never know.

Anonymous152
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:59 am

Re: Ask!

Post by Anonymous152 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:34 am

I has a question :)

In Lilly story arc, it's explicitly stated that Yamaku accepts physically disabled and healthy students, but not mental-health cases. But some of the students clearly display mental health issues, Hanako most notably, has physical injuries that barely qualify as a disability at all (Her physical needs barely differ from an able bodied student), but her mental health issues are crippling. So, why the statement about no mental health cases? - Just a writing oversight?

Edit: Oh, also! - In the thanks thread there is a lot of stories from people who have tales of how the writing made them look critically at themselves and change for the better. What's it feel like to know you're inspired people like that? - Proud of your work... or a little creeped out? :lol:
Last edited by Anonymous152 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BlackWaltzTheThird
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Ask!

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:06 am

Anonymous152 wrote:I has a question :)

In Lilly story arc, it's explicitly stated that Yamaku accepts physically disabled and healthy students, but not mental-health cases. But some of the students clearly display mental health issues, Hanako most notably, has physical injuries that barely qualify as a disability at all (Her physical needs barely differ from an able bodied student), but her mental health issues are crippling. So, why the statement about no mental health cases? - Just a writing oversight?
I think when they say "mental disabilities" they mean "learning disabilities". That is to say you can't go to Yamaku for Autism or ADHD, but you can if you have PTSD or something. They have therapists on campus, as noted in Hanako's route and probably Lilly's too. Of course, the Devs have the ultimate say in this, I may be mistaken.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!

User avatar
Mysterious Stranger
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:57 pm
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: Ask!

Post by Mysterious Stranger » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:47 pm

ben wrote:Is it implied Misha has brain damage? I thought it was mentioned he fell down stairs or something. :? We may never know.
...no. It's just stated that she gets dizzy on stairwells.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |

User avatar
Felgenhauer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Ohio, United States

Re: Ask!

Post by Felgenhauer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:28 pm

I was wondering if it were possible to get a physical copy of some of the KS art books or a packaged version of the game. I would do just about anything to get my hands on those.
Also, what sorts of conventions are the Devs going to appear at this year, if any at all.
And lastly, what are the Devs doing now that KS has been released and 4LS is no more? Do you have any plans for the future, individually or with any of the Devs involved in KS?
I apologize if any of the questions have been previously answered, but thanks for the input. I can't begin to tell you how inspired I have been from KS. It's truly changed my life and perspective on people. It's restored my faith in humanity.
Favorite Routes:
Lilly > Hanako > Emi > Shizune > Rin

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Felgenhauer wrote:I was wondering if it were possible to get a physical copy of some of the KS art books or a packaged version of the game. I would do just about anything to get my hands on those.
Also, what sorts of conventions are the Devs going to appear at this year, if any at all.
And lastly, what are the Devs doing now that KS has been released and 4LS is no more? Do you have any plans for the future, individually or with any of the Devs involved in KS?
I apologize if any of the questions have been previously answered, but thanks for the input. I can't begin to tell you how inspired I have been from KS. It's truly changed my life and perspective on people. It's restored my faith in humanity.
We don't have any extra copies of the art books lying around, nor hardcopies of the game. Those have been sold exclusively at Comic Market conventions by the japanese translation team. A few devs have said they'd go to Anime Expo in Los Angeles this summer, aside from that I can't say.
We still hang around and stuff, I'm sure some of us will want to do something neat at some point too.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

TheBostonRunner
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by TheBostonRunner » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:21 pm

Have you had any second thoughts on making any other games? I recently found KS and it really pulled my heart strings, and if anything it helped me get through some emotional things I was going through IRL. I would download any other works you guys published instantly. I think I really learned a different lesson from each path as well, example I learned not every girl is looking for a white knight from Hanako's. I even have begun to do a routine exercise every morning to let off steam and to stay fit because of Emi, I thank you from the deepest part of my hart for making this, and I hope you make another VN.



Edit: Should have read some other posts on the same page, disregard the question about making anything new.

ben

Re: Ask!

Post by ben » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
ben wrote:Is it implied Misha has brain damage? I thought it was mentioned he fell down stairs or something. :? We may never know.
...no. It's just stated that she gets dizzy on stairwells.
Okay, though I thought she might have attention deficit/hyperactive disorder. Because she kind of has that personality and fits well. :o

User avatar
inquisitivenegro
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:50 am
Location: In the Pacific

Re: Ask!

Post by inquisitivenegro » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:00 am

ben wrote:
Mysterious Stranger wrote:
ben wrote:Is it implied Misha has brain damage? I thought it was mentioned he fell down stairs or something. :? We may never know.
...no. It's just stated that she gets dizzy on stairwells.
Okay, though I thought she might have attention deficit/hyperactive disorder. Because she kind of has that personality and fits well. :o
Image
$50 says I live more South than all of you

User avatar
BlackWaltzTheThird
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Ask!

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:25 am

I was not aware the KS Devs looked like Brock. What an enlightening cartoon.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!

User avatar
Mirrormn
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Ask!

Post by Mirrormn » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:43 am

This is a topic that has intrigued me for a while, but I just now realized I could simply ask it in the Q&A thread:

Who is responsible for the musical direction in KS? I.e., matching soundtrack selections with scenes in the story. Did NicolArmarfi score the game after most of it was already written? Or did the authors write each scene already having knowledge of what music was available to accompany it? Or were the text and the music produced independently, and then matched up by someone else after the fact?
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:32 am

Mirrormn wrote:This is a topic that has intrigued me for a while, but I just now realized I could simply ask it in the Q&A thread:

Who is responsible for the musical direction in KS? I.e., matching soundtrack selections with scenes in the story. Did NicolArmarfi score the game after most of it was already written? Or did the authors write each scene already having knowledge of what music was available to accompany it? Or were the text and the music produced independently, and then matched up by someone else after the fact?
The music direction was done by delta, Raide and yujovi. Nicol and Blue worked simultaneously with the rest of us, though most of the soundtrack was composed way before the script was finished. Even so, most of the time the soundtrack was not really a factor during the writing process. Sometimes the writers or directors found that there was no track that'd fit a certain spot in the script, so we simply asked the composers to make a new track for that mood.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

User avatar
extremepiwy
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:25 am

Re: Ask!

Post by extremepiwy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:30 am

This is my question to all of the writers for KS.

How far ahead to you plan for your route when you first started? Did you already have the plot,climax and ending sorted out or was it like a "plan as you go" method"?
Image
Image
Image
"WAHAHAHA!~"

Ippo279
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:50 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by Ippo279 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:27 pm

Drawing has always been very hard for me, since I lack imagination, especially when drawing people. My question is, how hard, or long did it take you guys to come up with the sprites for each character? More specifically, did you guys just begin to draw at whim, or were there major influences in your drawings? Sorry if this has been asked before.Thanks!
"One does not simply forget Katawa Shoujo.."

Post Reply