Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Sethkowns

Re: Ask!

Post by Sethkowns »

Im not sure if this has been asked before, but what was the inspiration behind Kenji? Why was he created the way he was?
"I was warned that he was not only invincible, but strong enough to probably destory the building with a punch, or at least knock over the painting hanging in the hallway." Hideaki

Favorite Routes in Order: 1. Hanako 2. Lily 3. Emi 4. Kenji 5. Rin 6. Shizune
Game completion: 100% and aiming to still redo everyone's route.
Favorite Girl: Hanako!!!!!!!!
Godly Treat

Post by Godly Treat »

I know in the Game FAQs section you say there will be no sequal or prequal, but will there be any possibility of a DLC. Two huge possibilities could added Misha path or a continued life of HIsao with all the other paths stretched onwards.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

That's not all we said in the game FAQs.
Q: Will there be a fandisc, sequel, or prequel to Katawa Shoujo?
A: No. There will be no other work in any way related to Katawa Shoujo.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

hinoirocks

Post by hinoirocks »

Well, this may be sort of redundant (I know other people have assumed Rin was Autistic, had Aspergers, etc) but, since Rin, per Raita's original art, was a "thalidomide" girl. Was any thought given to the other aspects of thalidomide exposure as an infant?
http://www.thalidomide.ca/recognition-o ... e-defects/, in addition to some physical issues, lists things like :
FUNCTIONAL PROBLEMS
A number of thalidomide damaged persons exhibit a variety of neurodevelopmental problems: mental handicap, dyslexia, autism, or epilepsy
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

hinoirocks wrote:Well, this may be sort of redundant (I know other people have assumed Rin was Autistic, had Aspergers, etc) but, since Rin, per Raita's original art, was a "thalidomide" girl. Was any thought given to the other aspects of thalidomide exposure as an infant?
http://www.thalidomide.ca/recognition-o ... e-defects/, in addition to some physical issues, lists things like :
FUNCTIONAL PROBLEMS
A number of thalidomide damaged persons exhibit a variety of neurodevelopmental problems: mental handicap, dyslexia, autism, or epilepsy
Rin isn't affected by Thalidomide. It was one of the Raita concepts that was left out, replaced with a genetic problem that resulted in a malformed stump of an arm, that was surgically removed after birth.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Besides which, Thalidomide was taken off the world market in 1962 due to birth defects, and Rin was born around 1989.
hinoirocks

Post by hinoirocks »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:Besides which, Thalidomide was taken off the world market in 1962 due to birth defects, and Rin was born around 1989.
Ah, well,uh. Derp. That kind of makes more sense.
r4rice

Post by r4rice »

I'm currently reading through the thread so I hope I'm not repeating a question.

How did the writers deal with having to write about the same person in each arc? It seems as if he changes based on your decisions in game and so each arc Hisao is somewhat different, but he always retains enough of himself to where he seems to still be the same person each time. Was there any trouble trying to accomplish this?

And thank you for spending time to answer all these questions people have had, as well as making such a compelling story.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

r4rice wrote:I'm currently reading through the thread so I hope I'm not repeating a question.

How did the writers deal with having to write about the same person in each arc? It seems as if he changes based on your decisions in game and so each arc Hisao is somewhat different, but he always retains enough of himself to where he seems to still be the same person each time. Was there any trouble trying to accomplish this?

And thank you for spending time to answer all these questions people have had, as well as making such a compelling story.

I believe the following pretty much applies:
Suriko wrote:
Paladin wrote:Yet another question out of me: When writing the various paths, how did you keep the characters' voices consistent throughout the whole work? How did you ensure each character used their personal vocabulary, grammar, etc. not only in their own path, but any time they appeared in other paths as well? I apologize if this question has been answered before.

Best Regards,

Paladin
Every writer read every path as it was being done. Also, lots and lots of communication whenever writers were using each other's characters in their scenes.

A22 and I especially often swapped scenes between us, editing bits and bobs of them, to get them just right.
[10:59:46 PM] GIR: so who's the soapdropper?
[11:00:00 PM] T. C. Paladin: BWAHAHAHA!!!!! ROFL!
[11:00:14 PM] GIR: no i mean i figured one of you is using that as your IRC nickname
[11:00:19 PM] T. C. Paladin: i have no clue, but that is hilarious
[11:02:25 PM]T. C. Paladin: lol wow. i'm going to have to use that one someday
r4rice

Post by r4rice »

Paladin wrote:
r4rice wrote:I'm currently reading through the thread so I hope I'm not repeating a question.

I believe the following pretty much applies:
Suriko wrote:
Paladin wrote:Yet another question out of me: When writing the various paths, how did you keep the characters' voices consistent throughout the whole work? How did you ensure each character used their personal vocabulary, grammar, etc. not only in their own path, but any time they appeared in other paths as well? I apologize if this question has been answered before.

Best Regards,

Paladin
Every writer read every path as it was being done. Also, lots and lots of communication whenever writers were using each other's characters in their scenes.

A22 and I especially often swapped scenes between us, editing bits and bobs of them, to get them just right.
That seems to answer with crossovers of the main characters of each arc, but doesn't really apply to Hisao alone as he doesn't seem to be any of "their" characters, although I suppose they just collaborated and had other writers check the same way they mention.
Thank you for the info though, still reading through this thread myself.
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Does Lily have a scottish accent when she speaks English?
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Titus

Post by Titus »

inquisitivenegro wrote:Does Lily have a scottish accent when she speaks English?
I've thought of that, I'd die laughing if it was a Japanese accent on top of a Scottish one.
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?
Suriko

Post by Suriko »

inquisitivenegro wrote:Does Lily have a scottish accent when she speaks English?
She does not. As noted in the game, she has to work to suppress her Japanese accent when speaking English.
Greekscouse

Post by Greekscouse »

Are all the characters in the game fictional, or are there some based on real life people ? Also ever planing on doing anything like this ever again in the future, either as a team or individually ?
"What's the word for when it feels inside your heart that everything in the world is all right?"
Suriko

Post by Suriko »

Greekscouse wrote:Are all the characters in the game fictional, or are there some based on real life people ? Also ever planing on doing anything like this ever again in the future, either as a team or individually ?
None of the characters are outright based on real people. Various people that each developer knows may have had influences on aspects of some of the characters within KS, but that's inevitable.

There won't ever be another game made by everyone that made Katawa Shoujo. It's very likely that smaller groups of developers from within the team may make some VNs in future, but definitely nothing on the scale of KS.