Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

Mirrormn wrote:
Aura wrote:I like the bad ending of Rin's and Shizune's paths, and the good in the other three.
Do you mean the early bad ending, or the later one where she decides to leave for art school? I'm assuming the latter since it's much more drawn out and emotional, whereas the previous bad ending is pretty sudden and uninvolved.
Latter.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

1. What are the paintings seen in the hallways of Yamaku and who made them?

2. Why doesn't Hisao get into trouble with the staff/teachers for not wearing his uniform blazer?

3. Was it deliberate to make Rin's route the most isolated of them all, or is Aura just more comfortable when writing for a small cast of characters? Aside from Emi and a couple very brief moments with Misha and Shizune, none of the other heroines appear in Rin's route.

4. I noticed that the music tracks used in KS aren't all played at a consistent volume. This is understandable for tracks with a wide range of dynamics such as Moment of Decision, but some tracks with consistent dynamics have unusually high or low volumes, such as Afternoon being glaringly loud and Concord being egregiously soft to the point where I have to adjust my volume to hear it properly. Was this deliberate?
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Paddy wrote:Hi! Pax vobiscum!

First, I'd like to thank you for the game. I know you get this a lot, but this is an awesome, thought-provoking game, and I am glad I found it. God bless you folks for making it.

My questions:

1) How do you pronounce Hisao's name? Is it "His-OW", or "His-A-yo" or something else?
1a) Do you pronounce Hideaki as "Hi-dee-YA-ki"?

2) Did you ever decide on any canonical ending? That is, of all of the endings in KS, which one, in your opinions, is the one that "really happened"? At very least, what is your favourite?
1. It's more akin to the latter, but really, trying to give pronounciation advice in this way is foolish and makes me angry. English pronounciation is so unlike any other language, and so irregular, that trying to pronounce with approximation syllables is a horribly bad idea. Same for Hideaki's name. It's something like that, but not really.
2. All endings are canonical.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Tempester wrote:1. What are the paintings seen in the hallways of Yamaku and who made them?

2. Why doesn't Hisao get into trouble with the staff/teachers for not wearing his uniform blazer?

3. Was it deliberate to make Rin's route the most isolated of them all, or is Aura just more comfortable when writing for a small cast of characters? Aside from Emi and a couple very brief moments with Misha and Shizune, none of the other heroines appear in Rin's route.

4. I noticed that the music tracks used in KS aren't all played at a consistent volume. This is understandable for tracks with a wide range of dynamics such as Moment of Decision, but some tracks with consistent dynamics have unusually high or low volumes, such as Afternoon being glaringly loud and Concord being egregiously soft to the point where I have to adjust my volume to hear it properly. Was this deliberate?
1. They are painted by climatic. They are there to separate the different floor hallway backgrounds from each other.
2. The school uniform of Yamaku (like many schools that use uniform), is not actually a single mandatory uniform. Instead it's a collection of clothing articles that the students can combine for their attire.
3. It's mostly because both Rin and Hisao are kind of loners. Neither of them know the other characters (in Rin's story).
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

Aura wrote:1. They are painted by climatic. They are there to separate the different floor hallway backgrounds from each other.
Although I have negligible knowledge in classical art, here I thought that the paintings were actually famous classic works and not just created out of the blue for a visual novel. Cheers to climatic for fooling me. :lol:
Aura wrote:2. The school uniform of Yamaku (like many schools that use uniform), is not actually a single mandatory uniform. Instead it's a collection of clothing articles that the students can combine for their attire.
That's fascinating. Yamaku really is an unusual school.
Aura wrote:3. It's mostly because both Rin and Hisao are kind of loners. Neither of them know the other characters (in Rin's story).
Thanks. I should have figured that out for myself from the "ultimate loser" choices in Act 1 needed to get to Rin's route.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
Eldrazor

Post by Eldrazor »

Totz the Plaid wrote:
ivegottogodosomthing wrote:
Mirrormn wrote:Apologies in advance if this question has been asked already or if this is not quite the right thread for such a question. This has been bothering me for a while, and although I've played through Shizune's route 2 and a half times, I still can't figure it out. It seems like I'm missing something really obvious.

In Shizune's bad ending - specifically, in Spiral - as Hisao encounters Kenji on a nighttime stroll, he takes some time to reflect on his troubles with Shizune. He specifically mentions an incident where he "lied through his hands" to Shizune while "carrying on an entirely different conversation with Misha", and then starts wondering whether Shizune can read lips. I can't remember this incident ever taking place. I even re-read back from Tongue-Tied specifically looking for such an incident, but couldn't find it. What incident is Hisao thinking about here? Is it in the game, or is it, like the two fights between Shizune and Misha, only referred to but never experienced? If it is part of the game, what scene is it in?
I actually asked myself the same thing when I finished her bad route. Never found it when looking back, so I just gave up.
Wouldn't that be his rooftop conversation with Misha?
Maybe it's the moment Hisao tells Shizune that he's not feeling well and is going to bed early to get Shizune and Misha to spend some time together? It still doesn't fit the lying through his hands while carrying on an entirely different conversation, but it's pretty close.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Eldrazor wrote: Maybe it's the moment Hisao tells Shizune that he's not feeling well and is going to bed early to get Shizune and Misha to spend some time together? It still doesn't fit the lying through his hands while carrying on an entirely different conversation, but it's pretty close.
I've played through Shizune's route in its entirety again since that post, and revisited several key scenes (such as the one you you mention) in the library multiple times, and I'm pretty convinced at this point that it's simply not in the game, most likely due to an editing error.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Erthel wrote:To the devs:

How did you explain to your parents/family/friends what were you working on for those long hours?

I find pretty hard to explain to unrelated people what is KS about. Its an akward speech most of the time.
This was easy, I didn't tell anyone I worked on it. My brother found out because he is a nosy fuck who kept reading over my shoulder when we shared an apartment, but I didn't make any effort to alert or explain anyone I knew about this whole project.
MrDogsniper

Post by MrDogsniper »

I know you guys won't answer half of my questions...because there arn't really ways to answer them. But, I'd like to ask, What got you started with KS? I mean what made you guys stand up and say I'm gonna write a visual story and post it on the internet? I mean what made you commit? I almost started a shoe store with my father at 14 I was going to be the manager, but we backed out at the last second because we didn't commit. So, just wondering.
Sandvich!
uwa

Post by uwa »

cpl_crud wrote: Apologies for the delay.
[...]
There were a couple of attempts to save it; one involved the entire Hanako route being "Bad," - the only way to get a "Good" ending was to go through Lilly's route, which would then have a second Hanako path embedded into it.

This was written entirely, but the actual gameplay implications were impossible. You had to get at least one Hanako "Bad" ending to unlock the choices in LIlly's path to lead to the "Good" endings... it was practically impossible.

So, after much prodestation, the entire concept was scrapped and replaced with a much more believable path, which formed the basis of the path that is in the final game.
[...]
Oh wow, thank you so much for the long detailed reply (and my own apologies for my delay). I thought I was just being a dumbass when I mused that it would be interesting for Hanako's path to unavoidably end in her (or someone's) death... but it was actually something like that at one point. I can see how making her good end possible only from Lilly's path could make sense.

That does raise one other question. Unless there's one hell of an undiscovered secret, in the finished game there's no gameplay unlocking -- any ending is reachable on the first play through of a fresh install. It sounds like that kind of unlocking was rejected for difficulty in the Hanako path (grimdark edition). Was the consensus that it was always a bad idea, or did it just end up not working anywhere? Or did it always have to be cut for lack of resources?
Emi > Lilly > Misha > Hanako = Rin > Shizune... I might just prefer women who put out a lot.
Mind-stickiness: Hanako > Misha = Shizune > Rin > Emi > Lilly
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

Aura wrote:
VIVI wrote:suddenly i wonder:
when is Kenji´s birthday? that no appear in his bio.
Don't think anyone ever gave him one.
Then I proclaim April 1 as Kenji's birthday. Any objections? If not then feel free to make it canon and edit the game to add my name to the credits. 8)
realmuterol

Post by realmuterol »

One of my friends was telling me that Katawa Shoujo was being 1. Released on Steam and 2. Getting DLC in terms of two new story lines, is this true?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

realmuterol wrote:One of my friends was telling me that Katawa Shoujo was being 1. Released on Steam and 2. Getting DLC in terms of two new story lines, is this true?
Sounds like your friend fell for our last year's April Fool's joke.

http://katawashoujo.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... plans.html
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

Aura wrote:
realmuterol wrote:One of my friends was telling me that Katawa Shoujo was being 1. Released on Steam and 2. Getting DLC in terms of two new story lines, is this true?
Sounds like your friend fell for our last year's April Fool's joke.

http://katawashoujo.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... plans.html
Since that old joke is still working does that mean there won't be an April Fool's joke this year?
Jolt33

Post by Jolt33 »

Is There any way I can get A hold of A Lilly Confession CG Wallpaper? I really want it for my Desktop background...