Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Shockproof Jamo

Re: Ask!

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Aura wrote:
Guest wrote:A question for Aura (not strictly related to KS though): how did you get to the point where you can write a story that is thousands of words long in a foreign language, and write it better than a lot of native speakers could do?
In addition to formal education and osmosis through using English every day, I read a lot in English and try to pay attention to how the language is used in literature. I did, and still do, struggle a lot with getting my English to sound good in prose, which is a lot harder than fluency is casual everyday speech.
Did the other devs, who are native speakers, at any time help you with wording and vocabulary and such?
McBaggin

Post by McBaggin »

Nicol Armarfi wrote:
HeavenCS wrote:Nicol, I absolutely love your work. Are you up for taking commissions?
I won't accept money. If there's something you'd like me to do I'll gladly do it for free..
I think it was on one of your youtube videos you talked about doing an arranged album. Please do that :)

Post by Guest »

Hi, and thanks for the wonderful VN. I hope you will consider doing more in the future! Here's a question- how does it feel seeing your free title more popular than most current multi-million dollar releases?

http://nowplaying.gamedifferences.com/

Thanks! :)
returntoforever

Post by returntoforever »

Guest wrote:Hi, and thanks for the wonderful VN. I hope you will consider doing more in the future! Here's a question- how does it feel seeing your free title more popular than most current multi-million dollar releases?

whoops that was me!
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

uwa wrote:
Aura wrote:I did, and still do, struggle a lot with getting my English to sound good in prose, which is a lot harder than fluency is casual everyday speech.
I think that's true for a lot of native speakers, too. What sound okay out loud looks like crap when you can sit there and stare at in on a page.

Does that problem not exist for you when you write prose in Finnish? Or is it just less of a problem?
It exists but feels different. Can't really quantify how.
Shockproof Jamo wrote:Did the other devs, who are native speakers, at any time help you with wording and vocabulary and such?
No. I'm fluent and can use a dictionary. Obviously my text was edited just like all the text in KS, but then again our head editor is not a native speaker either. Anyway, I probably changed the other writers' wordings more often than got mine set straight. It was a real problem for me to get involved despite being "head writer", because whenever some wording bothered me I couldn't tell whether it's because I don't know English well enough, or whether their text was actually bad.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest wrote:Hi, and thanks for the wonderful VN. I hope you will consider doing more in the future! Here's a question- how does it feel seeing your free title more popular than most current multi-million dollar releases?

What can I say? It's of course wonderful to be popular and have enthusiastic fans.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

I hate asking questions like this, but a minor detail from Hanako's route jumps out at me for no apparent reason. I suppose this is down cpl_crud's alley.
Right before the H-scene, Hisao retrieves a condom from his pants pocket, preparedness which he seems to lack in some other routes (I know, different writers). Perfectly normal for a lot of teenagers of course, but I was wondering, was any particular rationale was used as to when/why he got them?
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Just desperately curious.

Post by Aura »

asakayosapro wrote:I daresay, you put together a project that well matches commercially made ones, and has impressed people who have played it all the world over. Hats off to you guys.

That being said, i wonder exactly what resources you utilized to make this envisioning into a reality masterpiece.

RenPy is obvious, but i ask if knowledge of Python / C++ i.e. having general knowledge in programming beforehand is needed to utilize RenPy well.

Image manipulation: Photoshop = GIMP? or any decent image manipulation program recommendable; opinions on them also welcome.

CG: Hand-drawn or tablet(?)-drawn, and general process of 'touching 'em up' from roughsketch to final. All methodologies with good final results welcome. No, not asking for KS samples, but you are welcome to provide related examples if you want.

Audio: ??? or more like: what program/s did you use, output encoding /format /file.ext , etc. (also, how do i loops sound?)

Animation: I humbly ask the great Mike Inel for recommendations and tips (recommended hardware/equipment, software and techniques) to get started in making good animations.

Thank you all very much for any and all responses.
The specific programs or techniques don't matter much, as long as they are powerful enough to do what you want them to do and you know how to use them. You can get pretty deep into Ren'py without knowledge of python, but at some point it starts being helpful. All art in KS is digital (if by "hand-drawn" you mean "made on physical media"). Also, a version control system and a project management tool are very useful. We used SVN and Trac respectively, but like with the other programs, anything that works for you is fine.
Swoopie

Post by Swoopie »

Nice, a question thread, and a pretty popular one :)

I was wondering, are you all extremely empathic and gifted writers or could some of you relate to the strong emotions of the characters because of personal experience?
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Mahorfeus wrote:I hate asking questions like this, but a minor detail from Hanako's route jumps out at me for no apparent reason. I suppose this is down cpl_crud's alley.
Right before the H-scene, Hisao retrieves a condom from his pants pocket, preparedness which he seems to lack in some other routes (I know, different writers). Perfectly normal for a lot of teenagers of course, but I was wondering, was any particular rationale was used as to when/why he got them?

Post by Guest »

Suriko wrote:
I get it! It's funny because he didn't love her at all in that scene! Oh man, that's a knee-slapper.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Suriko wrote:
Mahorfeus wrote:I hate asking questions like this, but a minor detail from Hanako's route jumps out at me for no apparent reason. I suppose this is down cpl_crud's alley.
Thank you for that. XD
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Lol, that stuck out at me as well, because a) he hadn't anywhere near that level of preparation on the other routes, and b) he wasn't even dating Hanako at that point, doesn't strike me as the person to carry one around incase he got lucky, and was a virgin, which makes him even less likely to be packin'.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Act1 - Nobody's Room wrote:"Each of these minor halls seems to have a toilet and shower, as well as four rooms."
"The name plates on the rooms adjacent to mine are blank. I guess there are just two of us here."
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Guest wrote:I get it! It's funny because he didn't love her at all in that scene! Oh man, that's a knee-slapper.
The difference between "care about as a friend and semi-consciously hope to someday bone" and "love" is irrelevant for Good Guy Hisao.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.