Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

JiisanChrist

Re: Ask!

Post by JiisanChrist »

1. If you were approached by an credible animation studio (Madhouse, KyoAni, Bones...) in Japan to produce an OVA Series of Katawa Shoujo, would you agree to allow it to be made? And if so, what stipulations would you place on the studio? (Story, Visuals, ext)
I was about to ask the same question.

Seriously, I am drafting up a petition directed towards "Any anime studios with an eye for international market" to make an anime series or an animated feature of Katawa Shoujo. I wonder if Aura is fine with that. Once we've got significant numbers through various anime forums or blogs, the I'd start sending it to Japanese studios.

This is what I've come up with so far, I'd like to get some feedback if you guys are willing enough to give them before I post this on a petition site. Petition do work sometimes, or at least it would get into the ears of the relevant people, like the petition to port Dark souls to PC.
This petition is directed to: Any forward thinking anime studio with an eye for the international market

Purpose: To make an anime series or animated series of the visual novel Katawa Shoujo.

Whether through our reminiscing or though our eager anticipation we see our highschool years as the most precious moments of our life. It is a time when we discover friendship, learn our life lessons, and most importantly, encounter love. To some, it is the time when the greatest love story ever told started.

Katawa Shoujo is a visual novel that tells one of those stories. It is remarkable not only for its great storyline, but its depiction where disabilities are no hindrance to life, happiness and love. Readers from all walks of life who became fans finds inspiration from the stories.

Given the subject matter, it is expected that a visual novel where young people with disabilities finding affection will raise some suspicious eyebrows. But as multitude of online reviewers and legions of fans are willing to attest, the issue of disability is approached respectfully and is in no way distasteful.

There are many equally great visual novels out there, but why adapt Katawa Shoujo into an anime? Let's put this into perspective. It is the first visual novel produced in English by anime/manga fans (4LS) for fans and it is currently winning fans the world over. The latter is an unprecedented event by any means, as the english speaking market have traditionally been resistant to accept visual novel as a medium for narrative. It is also a sign that the market is willing to consume more anime/manga styled media as long as it is well implemented.

Given the circumstance, it would be wise for any anime studios with an eye for the international market to capitalise on the popularity of KS and lead the push for a greater share of the international market by creating an anime series based on it.

Here is a TLDR version for those who couldn't get through the wall of text above:

Please make Katawa Shoujo anime because:

1. It has a great story, beautiful, even.

2. It is respectful to its subject matter.

3. There is an established international fanbase.

4. It is a surefire way to reach international anime fans & gamers.

Thank you
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

RiderStrike wrote:1. If you were approached by an credible animation studio (Madhouse, KyoAni, Bones...) in Japan to produce an OVA Series of Katawa Shoujo, would you agree to allow it to be made? And if so, what stipulations would you place on the studio? (Story, Visuals, ext)

2. This is kinda of a spoiler-y question, hence the spoiler tags.
Based on the fact that Lilly is the only girl with a prologue, is her route the canonical route of the game?
1. No idea. The chances are infinitesimal anyway. Should it happen we'd first lapse into shock and go "wubwubwubwub" a lot, and then we'd panic some more trying to figure out if we'd actually want such a thing to happen or not.

2. No. We don't have and never intended to have a "canonical" or "main" route, though more than a few people seem hellbent on deciding that for us. :?
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Guest wrote:Are you guys suprised at the reaction to KS ? People on /v/ are getting fit and talking about improving their lives. Thats quite an impact you had.
How do you feel, seeing people do such things becuase of your work inspiring them ?
Rather surprised, in all shades ranging from "oh d'awww that is awesome" to "omigod what the heck is this", according to the specifics.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

JiisanChrist wrote:Seriously, I am drafting up a petition directed towards "Any anime studios with an eye for international market" to make an anime series or an animated feature of Katawa Shoujo. I wonder if Aura is fine with that. Once we've got significant numbers through various anime forums or blogs, the I'd start sending it to Japanese studios.

This is what I've come up with so far, I'd like to get some feedback if you guys are willing enough to give them before I post this on a petition site. Petition do work sometimes, or at least it would get into the ears of the relevant people, like the petition to port Dark souls to PC.
(snip)
I don't speak for the whole dev team, but I'd say "please don't do that". We have stated multiple times that we have no interest in making a profit through KS, either by ourselves or through licensing, and such an endeavor would inevitably bring profit into the mix.

Post by Guest »

I dont know if this is allowed or not, but can you guys reccomend me some VNs ? KS was my first VN, I enjoyed it. Then someone reccomended Narcissu after KS, which was awesome (and depressing).
I assume you guys know quite a few good VNs.

Sorry if this is against the rules of the thread.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Guest wrote:I dont know if this is allowed or not, but can you guys reccomend me some VNs ? KS was my first VN, I enjoyed it. Then someone reccomended Narcissu after KS, which was awesome (and depressing).
I assume you guys know quite a few good VNs.

Sorry if this is against the rules of the thread.
There's a thread in the forums about that. If I remember correctly, we did comment.

sabre98

Post by sabre98 »

1. When have you decided to give Shizune ability to vocalize? I´m asking because I remeber that Aura once said she is ´mute´ as competely unable to vocalize. Yet in game she giggles and moans.

2. Emi´s running prosthetics looks very similar to ones used by Oscar Pistorius. Were they inspired by them or is it just a coincidence?
Show respect for age. Drink good Scotch for a change
Pimmy
~VIBRATIONS~

Post by Pimmy »

sabre98 wrote:2. Emi´s running prosthetics looks very similar to ones used by Oscar Pistorius. Were they inspired by them or is it just a coincidence?
Emi's prosthetics are pretty much these http://www.ossur.com/?PageID=13462

Post by Guest »

Does Nicol Armarfi have a website? I just found his music pretty interesting and would like to follow his work. (Google is only giving me a dead site.)
ingordo

Post by ingordo »

What happened to "Measuring Shadows" (the VN with Molly as the main character)? Is it still in development?
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Guest wrote:Does Nicol Armarfi have a website? I just found his music pretty interesting and would like to follow his work. (Google is only giving me a dead site.)
I don't have a website, but you can check out my youtube page, which I update quite frequently: http://youtube.com/nicolarmarfi4
ingordo wrote:What happened to "Measuring Shadows" (the VN with Molly as the main character)? Is it still in development?
It's gone. Probably for good.
mik4384

Post by mik4384 »

in shizune's cutscene hisao was trying to sign something does anyone know what's he's trying to say in sign language?
McBaggin

Post by McBaggin »

What difficulties were there writing in only Hisao's perspective ? Were there any times you wish you could have gone to another persons point of view ?
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

McBaggin wrote:What difficulties were there writing in only Hisao's perspective ? Were there any times you wish you could have gone to another persons point of view ?
The difficulties of writing from only Hisao's perspective were no greater than the difficulties we'd have faced had we chosen to jump from girl to girl and force the player to choose Hisao's actions without knowing his motivations (come to think of it that's an interesting idea). First person perspective can be frustrating to write in sometimes, but it's no easier or harder than writing in any other perspective I think.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Nicol Armarfi wrote:
Guest wrote:How can I get in contact with the musicians who work on this game? Ya know, musician to musician and get some networking going on.
You can find us all on the IRC or shoot us a PM on these forums.
I was the guest who asked this question (forgot to sign in).

I just want you say I love the music team's work! Every track in the game was very well composed and drew me into the game further and inspired me to go back to composing music. Keep up the great work, man!

Now, my next question, did you, Blue, and Juno started working on the game's music post production or during production and how long did you took to complete the game's soundtrack? Also, how did you guys got on the team? Did you ask to join the team for music or did somebody ask you to join.