Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Re: Ask!

Post by Guest »

Pimmy wrote:
rusticarmor wrote:How did the erotic scenes feel while drawing them? Was it taken super seriously, or was it sort jokingly "lets have fun with it" sort of way.

Then when you had to show it to your peers, was there any sort of shy intimacy with it? Or was it taken professionally and taken as just another piece of art?
-I had a lot of fun with Emi's H scenes, personally. I have a sort of matter-of-fact view on that sort of thing. It was fun to try out drawing the sorts of poses and stuff you see all the time in H pictures. Living at home only made it slightly awkward in a "look over my shoulder" sort of way. H scenes are kind of more stressful though because you gotta make sure the anatomy is at least acceptable. I also liked being able to basically draw Emi's body how I saw fit!

-More of the latter, at least for me. I freely joke about it with people online and irl, often times pretty crassly!
Yeah, nice job with the facial expressions.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

anarki wrote:How is the current stance on fan translations (on non-officia languages)?
I used to translate often on fansubs and would be delighted to translate KS :)
Depends on the language, mostly... If you're interested in the German translation, drop me a PM.
For other languages, read here for details.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Yume

Post by Yume »

I have a question for the writer of Rin's route (Aura?).

Were you by chance inhaling any leafy green substance when you wer writing up her story? I've only played her Act 1 so far but her way of thinking is really out there, it reminds me a lot of how my thinking process becomes when I'm high.
GiovanniTosi

Post by GiovanniTosi »

First of all, thank you for the amazing game you've done!

So, I think that what makes Katawa Shoujo such a unique game is how the characters' problems and personalities are present in our 'normal' lives, but are 'boosted' by their conditions. And I think it is something really really hard to do in a history, something that you must have a great time to work on and a great team to relie on to make it possible. I guess this is my first question, I would like to know how you manage to get this, how was the work like?

I would also like to know how you think the fact that Katawa Shoujo is a free game was important to make it such a good game? Because I think that having the time you wanted to work on it until the realising (there was no estipulated date) and working only with people really dedicated and you get along with (a little bit, at least hahaha) was crucial to make the game this great, and I don't think you could have this condition working on a commercial game.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear because of the english, it took much more time than it seems to write it (now I get how Rin felt when didn't find the words to express herself hahaha). I made the best I could ^^'

Post by Guest »

I just noticed something I feel I should've noticed while playing the Act 1 demo: Hisao drinks alcohol. With such a (supposedly) long list of medicine, is that really safe? The chances seem low to me but I'm not very knowledgeable about medicine. You seem to have put a lot of thought into most things while making this game, so I assume you thought about this too?

Apart from that, thanks for a wonderful visual novel :D
Rinbro

Post by Rinbro »

- Does Rin have any family? How is their relationship?

- What's Rin's favourite food (besides oranges)?
Can you face your feels?
McBaggin

Post by McBaggin »

Is Yamaku a normal school with a 24/7 nursing staff available or does it also offer classes to help students get used to their disability as well?
Member22

Post by Member22 »

I just noticed something I feel I should've noticed while playing the Act 1 demo: Hisao drinks alcohol. With such a (supposedly) long list of medicine, is that really safe? The chances seem low to me but I'm not very knowledgeable about medicine. You seem to have put a lot of thought into most things while making this game, so I assume you thought about this too?
Its not very safe to drink alcohol, (from what I remember) there are a few interactions with some of his drugs, which reduces their effectiveness (i.e make him more susceptible to another episode of arrhythmia) and vice versa depending on the drug, it also results in dizziness and can cause fainting... so it might have contributed to his fall

But keep in mind that he also drinks alcohol in another route(s) and it had a noticeable effect... but I think it was suppressed for plot purposes
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
anarki

Post by anarki »

McBaggin wrote:Is Yamaku a normal school with a 24/7 nursing staff available or does it also offer classes to help students get used to their disability as well?
On Act 1 we learn that Lilly's/Kenji's class is specific for blind people, and there are sign language classes to anyone interested so I think Yamaku has a lot of opportunities to help those who need it.
Mirage_GSM wrote:Depends on the language, mostly... If you're interested in the German translation, drop me a PM.
For other languages, read here for details.
Not German =( I want to translate it to Portuguese (Brazilian).
What I meant was not the status of an ongoing translation, but support for those who want to translate, but have not received official support. As the topic you linked says, there may be a script and/or a method for translators to release translations unofficially. So what I'm asking here is if there is a development on this decision or it's just being forgotten (the unofficial ones!).

Post by Guest »

(Spoilers for Lilly and Hanako Routes)

After having played both Lilly's and Hanako's routes, I noticed that Hanako seemed to be much better off socially when Hisao doesn't try to be romantically involved in her life. Was this the writers' intention when they wrote Lilly's and Hanako's routes? I know each writer had a lot of freedom in writing each separate route, but did they collaborate enough to make sure each impact on the characters was consistent between routes? Because after playing Hanako's route first, I almost felt at first like Lilly's writer was characterizing Hanako in a different way until I thought about that being intentional... Seems to me like even after Hanako's good ending, she would have still been better off not being romantically involved with Hisao at all when comparing it to Lilly's route.
scott1and

Post by scott1and »

When you (whoever you are) created the April Fools Day characters, Saki Enomoto and Rika Katayama, did you somewhat regret you couldn't have them in the game?

While we're on Saki and Rika, were they created randomly in as short a time as possible or did some effort go into thinking of them?
sabre98

Post by sabre98 »

First, thanks for a great game. I really enjoyed it. and now questions:

1. Who came with the idea to make Emi´s mom such MILF? I have to say she was, well, distracting me from my goal.

2. How did Lilly found out about Hisao´s condition? It´s never explicitly stated and there´s a lot of possibilities, so I just wanted to know if there is an answer or if you just left it for our imagination.

3. Why have you decided to kill both of Hanako´s parents? The website and even manual states that only her father died in that fire.

4. What happenned to those politically incorrect panties Shizune wore during her fight with Lilly in Act 1 Preview? The ones with 'Stop stem cell research' written on them? I noticed she wears plain white panties in full game during this scene.

5. When I played Rin´s path I got feeling that her bad end would involve her suicide. Everything was pointing at it somehow - Rin talking about destroying herself, Hisao finding her in atelier on verge of breakdown, Sae talking about her husband´s suicide and Picasso´Blue Period. Simply pointing at chance she would literally destroy herself in her quest to change as a person. So my question is: Have you considered the possibility of Rin commiting suicide as possible outcome of player´s choices during writing of her path?

6. During writing of previous question I realized that in every path plays death it´s role in some way. Hisao falling from roof in Deep End, death of Hanako´s parents, death of Emi´s father, suicide of Sae´s husband in Rin´s path, Hisao´s near-death experience in Lilly´s path and Misha considering whether would Shizune be better without her if she just died. So the question is: Why? There´s probably some hidden meaning I simply failed to notice so I would like you to enligthen me.
Show respect for age. Drink good Scotch for a change
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Yume wrote:I have a question for the writer of Rin's route (Aura?).

Were you by chance inhaling any leafy green substance when you wer writing up her story? I've only played her Act 1 so far but her way of thinking is really out there, it reminds me a lot of how my thinking process becomes when I'm high.
No.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

GiovanniTosi wrote:First of all, thank you for the amazing game you've done!

So, I think that what makes Katawa Shoujo such a unique game is how the characters' problems and personalities are present in our 'normal' lives, but are 'boosted' by their conditions. And I think it is something really really hard to do in a history, something that you must have a great time to work on and a great team to relie on to make it possible. I guess this is my first question, I would like to know how you manage to get this, how was the work like?

I would also like to know how you think the fact that Katawa Shoujo is a free game was important to make it such a good game? Because I think that having the time you wanted to work on it until the realising (there was no estipulated date) and working only with people really dedicated and you get along with (a little bit, at least hahaha) was crucial to make the game this great, and I don't think you could have this condition working on a commercial game
As for the first question, I recommend reading our blog, it has a whole bunch of writings about our times with the project.

Us being completely independent gave us massive creative freedom. We didn't have to give a damn about anything at all. I'd say it's certainly a factor.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Rinbro wrote:- Does Rin have any family? How is their relationship?

- What's Rin's favourite food (besides oranges)?
She has a family, yes. http://shimmie.katawa-shoujo.com/post/l ... _parents/1

I don't know what she likes to eat.