Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
the_phenom
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:52 am

Re: Ask!

Post by the_phenom » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:18 am

Suriko wrote:
Guest wrote:Was the anal scene a playful reference the infamous Hanako "give me the chocolate" comic? (come on, don't pretend you haven't seen it)

Because, you know, Emi does give Hisao her chocolate.
It wasn't a reference to anything.
Haha. Then why does it happen?

User avatar
Teclo
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 7:32 pm
Location: Engaging in some serious parity time

Re: Ask!

Post by Teclo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:12 am

1. Why does Rin tie her shirt sleeves in knots rather than just doing something like stitching up the ends of a short-sleeved shirt? It always makes me feel like she's just become armless a moment ago and had to improvise.
2. Was it a conscious decision by her writer (or the team in general) to have her being incredibly quirky and almost like a comic relief character in Act 1* but then to turn up the seriousness and sadness of her life up to 11 in the consequent acts, or was it more down to changes in the writer's perception of life, of Rin as a character, or basically due to anything that changed after Act 1 was released?
3. Rin would say "boku" wouldn't she? Putting aside the fact I HNNNGHHHH when a girl uses that in Japanese language media, I really think it fits with her image and general odd tone. Perhaps more fitting in regards to the oddness would be something like "washi". I also feel like Kenji would definitely used "jibun". You probably didn't think about it since you were obviously writing it in English but do those suggestions make sense to you or not? Any idea what the Japanese translation guys are using?

Also, please note that I haven't actually completed her arc (or any arc) yet so if answering it more fully would involve spoilers, could you please spoiler tag it so I can read it later?

* Obviously not so much as Kenji, but almost every single thing she said served as a comical moment and gave her scenes a real brevity that is infamously hugely downplayed in later acts.
Last edited by Teclo on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image

Rin > Akira > Shizune > Lilly = Emi > Hanako

rydiafan
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by rydiafan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:18 am

Why did pick the topic of disable students to base KS around ?? I love the game and its just so different them anything else i ever played ( not that its a bad thing )

Tos

Re: Ask!

Post by Tos » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:56 am

Why the heck would Hanako keep a water filter jug in a shelf right behind her bed?

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You
Posts: 2522
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Imola, Italy

Re: Ask!

Post by Silentcook » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:02 am

scineram wrote:Stem cell research fucking where?
It went away when she put those in the wash.
Shattering your dreams since '94.

Image

lonesoul

Re: Ask!

Post by lonesoul » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:03 am

Im enjoying the game, who came up with the dialog for rin? She was so confusing i nearly gave up. Lol my character gave up too.

Bhaal!?
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by Bhaal!? » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:20 am

A question, we know now Emi lost a school year, is not natural to assume the same for Hanako?

Anon_

Re: Ask!

Post by Anon_ » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:35 am

Obviously there are tons of alternate mirrors and some alternate torrents even but between your torrent and downloads from the mirror you provided on your blog how many times has the game been downloaded so far? I wouldn't be surprised if it was well past the 100k mark already (as the torrents has at least a thousands leechers whenever I check); heck, even 200k would surprise me.

Do you plan to keep us updated on this? A small entry on the blog every x00k maybe (or once a month, whichever works for you)? I'm honestly very interested just how big it has gotten over all these years.

kourousx
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by kourousx » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:38 am

First of all, thanks so much for doing this thread and for all the work the devs put into the game. I almost fell out of my chair upon learning Shizune and Lilly were related. Great surprise and a great device to up the stakes for those characters.

How long ago was this decided and how collaborative was the writing of their paths? Or was it just a matter of agreeing on certain facts then writing the paths separately?

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:39 am

Teclo wrote:1. Why does Rin tie her shirt sleeves in knots rather than just doing something like stitching up the ends of a short-sleeved shirt? It always makes me feel like she's just become armless a moment ago and had to improvise.
2. Was it a conscious decision by her writer (or the team in general) to have her being incredibly quirky and almost like a comic relief character in Act 1* but then to turn up the seriousness and sadness of her life up to 11 in the consequent acts, or was it more down to changes in the writer's perception of life, of Rin as a character, or basically due to anything that changed after Act 1 was released?
3. Rin would say "boku" wouldn't she? Putting aside the fact I HNNNGHHHH when a girl uses that in Japanese language media, I really think it fits with her image and general odd tone. Perhaps more fitting in regards to the oddness would be something like "washi". I also feel like Kenji would definitely used "jibun". You probably didn't think about it since you were obviously writing it in English but do those suggestions make sense to you or not? Any idea what the Japanese translation guys are using?
[/i]
1. She likes it that way
2. I didn't want to write 100 000 words of randum XD hijinks
3. She uses "atashi" in the japanese translation iirc.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:42 am

kourousx wrote:First of all, thanks so much for doing this thread and for all the work the devs put into the game. I almost fell out of my chair upon learning Shizune and Lilly were related. Great surprise and a great device to up the stakes for those characters.

How long ago was this decided and how collaborative was the writing of their paths? Or was it just a matter of agreeing on certain facts then writing the paths separately?
It was a long time ago, can't remember exactly when anymore. As you can see it's not a huge deal they are related, but the writers did pay close attention to get everything right.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

User avatar
Merlyn_LeRoy
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:54 am

Aura wrote:
Teclo wrote:1. Why does Rin tie her shirt sleeves in knots rather than just doing something like stitching up the ends of a short-sleeved shirt? It always makes me feel like she's just become armless a moment ago and had to improvise.
[/i]
1. She likes it that way
Also her blouse has the sleeves tied in the
Mishimmie image #9
.

User avatar
Merlyn_LeRoy
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:56 am

Hisao wonders why Miki still has bandages on her arm; is there a backstory explanation for why this is, and if so, what is the reason?

User avatar
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:10 am
Location: Australia

Re: Ask!

Post by Suriko » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:01 am

kourousx wrote:First of all, thanks so much for doing this thread and for all the work the devs put into the game. I almost fell out of my chair upon learning Shizune and Lilly were related. Great surprise and a great device to up the stakes for those characters.

How long ago was this decided and how collaborative was the writing of their paths? Or was it just a matter of agreeing on certain facts then writing the paths separately?
It was decided a long time ago. The paths were written separately, but A22 and I (as well as all the writers) were in constant communication to make sure our writing worked right together. A22 also often wrote batches of dialogue for where Shizune and Misha appear in L path, and I did the same for Lilly and Akira appearances in S path. Even where we didn't do that, we checked each other's writing in general a lot.

User avatar
Moekki
Artist
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:20 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by Moekki » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:01 am

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:Hisao wonders why Miki still has bandages on her arm; is there a backstory explanation for why this is, and if so, what is the reason?
because they look cool

Post Reply