Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Re: RAITA

Post by Silentcook »

Guest wrote:Does RAITA know his idea was made a reality?
I did type up a letter of thanks for his famous inspirational page, which should have been translated and sent to RAITA upon release.

I assume RAITA's daily email to be something monstrous though, so this is a question which will remain unanswered unless and until he comments on us.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Re: Ask!

Post by Suriko »

Guest wrote:Sorry new things keep coming up as I go through my thoughts.

Who did Lilly and Hanako's art CGs?
They are by far my favourite in the game, namely the Field/Hospital CGs for Lilly and the Touching the Scar/Final CG for Hanako, so much comes from the image to go with the story it's hits harder than I've ever experienced.
Metal Gear Solid 3 (and maybe 4) was the strongest game to hit that hard at the emotions for a long time (namely the endings).
It's difficult to pin down which artists did what, as the vast majority of CGs are very much the result of collaboration between multiple artists. The field CG was primarily Raide, the hospital one was mainly Moekki, and the scar and final Hanako CG were done mainly by Weee.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Utumo wrote:First off, thanks for the great game!

I was curious if there were any sort of business proposals ever offered during the creation of Katawa Shoujo. I know you guys have refused to accept donations and didn't want to sell the game for any sort of profit, but I thought it would be interesting if a company tried to make an offer anyway.
Yes we've had various proposals over the years.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

dudester567 wrote:Just wondering, what is the average age of the members of 4LS? I remember reading something earlier about teenage girls drawing the penises, and the question isn't that important, but I'd like to know if some people are like, teenagers, while some are in their 40's or something.

EDIT: also, I read about how on 2ch, the people there are insulting katawa shoujo because it's "discriminatory," any thoughts on that?
Sankaku's a tabloid, and they've cherry-picked responses. The 2ch threads can be seen for yourself here.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

While I've been watching this site for a while now, I just made an account so I can ask some questions.

1)I've seen so many projects like this fail. Why do you think KS succeeded at making a release?

2) How many people worked on KS at any one time?

3)I hope this isn't too much to ask, but could you give us a postmortem on KS?

What I mean to say is, what went wrong with KS, and what went right? If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently? What would you do the same? What were the big disagreements during production? What major problems did you face, and how did you solve them?

As an aspiring game maker, the more detailed the answer you can give me, the better. KS had a very unique production, and any lessons you learned during it would be extremely helpful.

Please don't get consider this some sort of massive project. If you just give me a paragraph on you would have done differently, that's OK. But I'm willing to wait for a more complete answer, like this one on Bioshock: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 ... ton2k_.php

Edit:Fixed grammer
Last edited by Lurker on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dudester567

Post by dudester567 »

Suriko wrote:
dudester567 wrote:Just wondering, what is the average age of the members of 4LS? I remember reading something earlier about teenage girls drawing the penises, and the question isn't that important, but I'd like to know if some people are like, teenagers, while some are in their 40's or something.

EDIT: also, I read about how on 2ch, the people there are insulting katawa shoujo because it's "discriminatory," any thoughts on that?
Sankaku's a tabloid, and they've cherry-picked responses. The 2ch threads can be seen for yourself here.
Ohh, thanks for clearing some of this up! :)
dudester567

Post by dudester567 »

Aura wrote:
I think the average is around mid-twenties.
So that means that the average age was early twenties back then... I'm really amazed!
I'm not sure what I'm feeling, but I think I'm sort of inspired!
Murex

Post by Murex »

Aura wrote:
leppiesamma wrote:In the Fragments of Summer book, Aura mentioned that some years ago, you wrote a story about an artist with no arms. Was that written before or after 4LS started and maybe even your involvement with the project? Also as a result, how much of the girl in that story then ended up becoming the Rin that we know today?
It was a reference to how I got involved with with all this: I got interested in the KS, wrote a story about Rin which eventually lead me to becoming a writer for the project.
Is there any way of finding this story on the internet, or is it private?

Aside from asking that question, I wanted to say an enormous thank you to everyone at 4LS. Katawa Shoujo has inspired me so much.
NeedsMoreHats

Post by NeedsMoreHats »

In the "A Day in the Life" blog post, Aura mentioned that what everyone considered the best line he wrote for KS was written 2 years, 4 months ago (3 years, 8 months now). What was that line?

And second question, if that line isn't what you consider the best line, what is?
dudester567

Post by dudester567 »

What was the hardest part of creating the game?
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

dudester567 wrote:What was the hardest part of creating the game?
Not being able to reach through the screen and make a spirited attempt to strangle some of my fellow devs. :?
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Derp

Post by Derp »

Was there a conscious reason that Rin tells Hisao that she loves him but Hisao never tells her back? Or was that the point of the kiss?
This question is actually what has been annoying me most since playing through four of the routes. :P

Post by Guest »

Silentcook wrote:
dudester567 wrote:What was the hardest part of creating the game?
Not being able to reach through the screen and make a spirited attempt to strangle some of my fellow devs. :?
Did you want to strangle the person who wrote Emi's route.

Because I do.
NeonAmber

Post by NeonAmber »

You mentioned that the Hanako's path was a deliberate deconstruction of the typical way those sort of characters are handled. Was this the primary motivator for the story? Was a desire to create a more realistic (specifically in the handling of the "shy girl") story a factor? The other way around (the desire to create a realistic story lead to the deconstruction)? Or was that not even a factor? I ask because the way her feelings were expressed and influenced suggested a more than casual understanding of psychology.
Aster Selene

Post by Aster Selene »

What do they sell at the Aura Mart?