Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:28 pm

Byne wrote:Do all of the path writers feel like they've finished the stories of their characters?

I for one would love to read even just a short story or something for each of the girls set a few years after graduation to see what has happened with them.
There's stuff like that on the fanfic forum. For example: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1151
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:39 pm

mildwonkey wrote:A couple of questions:

1) I'm going on a limb, and assume that some devs were in attendance at Comiket.

After reading some of the press, post-release, I'm kind of curious about your table at C81. It seems there's been a very strong, and sometimes mixed, emotion emanating from the Japanese, overall, in their opinions of KS. Were there any notable reactions 'live-and-in-person' to the game, in particular the name, or public praise/scolding given over the content? Was the table active, or did attendees go out of their way to avoid it?

2) As devs, I assume that you are planning to, or already, have professions in the field of computer programming, etc. Is KS something that you plan to include on your personal resumes moving forward through your careers given is does have legit dev/coding merit, or is this something you will simply keep on your personal trophy shelf (perhaps on account of its content)?

Thanks for all of the hard work! Loving the game so far (Finished Emi and Shizune... scared to approach the Rin path...only so many tears in a day).
You assume too much. None of 4LS was at C80 or C81. You can read some of the convention reports from the people who did handle them however, on the blog. Further, many of us pursue careers in completely different fields than what we do or did for KS. I doubt the ones who do something related will put KS on the resumes, but I suppose you never know. There's a precedent though, I remember one artist using a couple KS CGs in her university application portfolio. So, I guess you have that.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

User avatar
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:10 am
Location: Australia

Re: Ask!

Post by Suriko » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:39 pm

mildwonkey wrote:A couple of questions:

1) I'm going on a limb, and assume that some devs were in attendance at Comiket.

After reading some of the press, post-release, I'm kind of curious about your table at C81. It seems there's been a very strong, and sometimes mixed, emotion emanating from the Japanese, overall, in their opinions of KS. Were there any notable reactions 'live-and-in-person' to the game, in particular the name, or public praise/scolding given over the content? Was the table active, or did attendees go out of their way to avoid it?

2) As devs, I assume that you are planning to, or already, have professions in the field of computer programming, etc. Is KS something that you plan to include on your personal resumes moving forward through your careers given is does have legit dev/coding merit, or is this something you will simply keep on your personal trophy shelf (perhaps on account of its content)?

Thanks for all of the hard work! Loving the game so far (Finished Emi and Shizune... scared to approach the Rin path...only so many tears in a day).
Both are wrong assumptions. The Comiket appearances are entirely handled by the Japanese translation team (who are totally awesome, and did a whole lot of hard work that we're very thankful for), and we weren't present at them.

No developers are professional programmers. That aside, none of us (at least as far as I'm aware) will be putting KS on our resumes. The content bars that.

SteelyDance

Re: Ask!

Post by SteelyDance » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:41 pm

With the amount of fanfic on this site, would the devs ever sit around and laugh at how close or far some fan-writers were to the actual story?

Also, regarding fanfic again, do the devs dislike the idea of someone else writing a completely different story about a character they worked 5 years on? Personally, I would feel a little outraged. Plagiarism is a horrible thing.

User avatar
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:10 am
Location: Australia

Re: Ask!

Post by Suriko » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:50 pm

SteelyDance wrote:With the amount of fanfic on this site, would the devs ever sit around and laugh at how close or far some fan-writers were to the actual story?

Also, regarding fanfic again, do the devs dislike the idea of someone else writing a completely different story about a character they worked 5 years on? Personally, I would feel a little outraged. Plagiarism is a horrible thing.
I don't read the fanfiction forum much. Can't speak for the other devs.

We're fine with fanfics in general. As long as they don't pretend to be official, people can go nuts.

Yo-yo
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by Yo-yo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Ever had a really awkward experience trying to explain the game to someone who found out about you were working on it?

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You
Posts: 2524
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Imola, Italy

Re: Ask!

Post by Silentcook » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Yuno wrote:I'm curious if I could at least get reply from one of you on this question:
Now that the game is out and the group is splitting up, would any of you as individuals consider joining another group of people to make another game? Which is to say, does anyone think they have plans to work on another game in the future with the skills they've acquired working on this one?
My alias is (supposedly) going to be in the credits of a VN that's (supposedly) going to get distributed sometime next month, so take this as you will.
Yuno wrote:Unrelated: Are we free to use the characters/setting in our own media? Given that this is a first for the internet in general, I could easily see people taking on what you left off.
Not really. The license is specifically against that. We don't mind fanworks such as fanart or fics, but if someone came to us saying "I want to do a sequel/prequel/alternate timeline VN to Katawa Shoujo", I'd say our answer would be "no".
Shattering your dreams since '94.

Image

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You
Posts: 2524
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Imola, Italy

Re: Ask!

Post by Silentcook » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Yo-yo wrote:Ever had a really awkward experience trying to explain the game to someone who found out about you were working on it?
During early development I outright pimped the Act 1 preview around my workplace, which is an OR. The most awkward thing that happened was that a colleague of mine, forty years old and mother of twins, reported a typo in the Italian translation.

So I guess the answer to that is "no" for me. :mrgreen:
Shattering your dreams since '94.

Image

Guest

Re: Ask!

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Sorry new things keep coming up as I go through my thoughts.

Who did Lilly and Hanako's art CGs?
They are by far my favourite in the game, namely the Field/Hospital CGs for Lilly and the Touching the Scar/Final CG for Hanako, so much comes from the image to go with the story it's hits harder than I've ever experienced.
Metal Gear Solid 3 (and maybe 4) was the strongest game to hit that hard at the emotions for a long time (namely the endings).

crukks
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by crukks » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:12 pm

How many downloads of the game so far or do you guys keep track of that?

dudester567
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:57 am

Re: Ask!

Post by dudester567 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Just wondering, what is the average age of the members of 4LS? I remember reading something earlier about teenage girls drawing the penises, and the question isn't that important, but I'd like to know if some people are like, teenagers, while some are in their 40's or something.

EDIT: also, I read about how on 2ch, the people there are insulting katawa shoujo because it's "discriminatory," any thoughts on that?
Last edited by dudester567 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rolopixel
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:35 am

Re: Ask!

Post by rolopixel » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Is there a reason why Shizune's arc lacked passion? It didn't feel like there wasn't very much romantic factors in the arc. (Most of the arc was focused on Misha, and one of the few "dates" was to talk about Misha.)

Plus I don't know if it's just me, but Shizune's chin was really pointy in the newer cgs.

User avatar
Utumo
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:47 am
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by Utumo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:18 pm

First off, thanks for the great game!

I was curious if there were any sort of business proposals ever offered during the creation of Katawa Shoujo. I know you guys have refused to accept donations and didn't want to sell the game for any sort of profit, but I thought it would be interesting if a company tried to make an offer anyway.

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:21 pm

Guest wrote:Sorry new things keep coming up as I go through my thoughts.

Who did Lilly and Hanako's art CGs?
They are by far my favourite in the game, namely the Field/Hospital CGs for Lilly and the Touching the Scar/Final CG for Hanako, so much comes from the image to go with the story it's hits harder than I've ever experienced.
Metal Gear Solid 3 (and maybe 4) was the strongest game to hit that hard at the emotions for a long time (namely the endings).
There's work from Raide, weee and moekki in there.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:23 pm

dudester567 wrote:Just wondering, what is the average age of the members of 4LS? I remember reading something earlier about teenage girls drawing the penises, and the question isn't that important, but I'd like to know if some people are like, teenagers, while some are in their 40's or something.
I think the average is around mid-twenties.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

Post Reply