Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

cut_and_paste

Re: Ask!

Post by cut_and_paste »

Recently, I've been wondering whether it would be feasible to assemble a team of amateurs and make a VN similar in scope to KS (not KS2). What made so many people (or at least enough to keep a project alive) willing to create a VN from a one page doujin? Was it a fluke gathering, widespread appeal of concept/characters, an organized drive by a few people, multiple/none of the above?
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

My money is on "dumb luck". :mrgreen: I'm a relative newcomer though, best to hear what crud has to say.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Silentcook wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:06 am My money is on "dumb luck". :mrgreen: I'm a relative newcomer though, best to hear what crud has to say.
I'm subscribed to this thread. I get an email that tells me when someone posts anything here.

So when I saw a reply from Silent Cook I thought that I was in the clear.

But essentially, "dumb luck" is right.

We had a perfect storm of people that knew what they were doing, an interesting concept, and an EOLVN scene that was still relatively small. That last part is important, as it really helped us find each other.

It is still possible, but there are a lot more people involved in creating VNs these days, so finding a team that has the "right mix" of people that you want to work with is hard.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

cpl_crud wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:26 am It is still possible, but there are a lot more people involved in creating VNs these days, so finding a team that has the "right mix" of people that you want to work with is hard.
I'm gonna have to second this. Though I was never involved in KS, I have recently been helping another studio with some translation work and proofreading. But getting this kind of international team working on a project just based on a random image probably won't happen again. At least not long enough to actually complete a game. Kind of an internet miracle, if you will. :)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
cut_and_paste

Post by cut_and_paste »

Thanks for the responses! Guess I'll have to wait for another miracle...

(anyone reading this who wants to make a VN, dm cut_and_paste on Lemma Soft if you're looking for a writer :D )
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

Is Takashi's band-aided ear a not so subtle reference to Van Gogh? Seeing how he was one of the artists' OCs, if I recall.

And what was the project Molly was a cameo of? Aura mentioned it way back but gave no specifics other than it was something the team made themselves.
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
orian34

Post by orian34 »

I've got a general question for the devs(for the ones still checking in here at least), but how does it feel now that it's been this long since KS was made. Does it still resurface in your mind/life these days, or is it mostly forgotten as a long past project you've worked on.

It's something I feel like I'll never be able to completely forget, so I was curious how it felt for the writers of it.
Aura wrote:I rather do something I actually like on my free time, even if it means I lose the opportunity to financially exploit my fans.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Oh, sure. Easy to forget as getting a limb transplant. :twisted:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Silentcook wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:27 am Oh, sure. Easy to forget as getting a limb transplant. :twisted:
Yeah I think that something like Phantom Limb Syndrome might describe it well.

Even when you're not actively thinking about it, it's in the back of your mind.

Well, that's my take anyway
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

orian34 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:17 pm I've got a general question for the devs(for the ones still checking in here at least), but how does it feel now that it's been this long since KS was made. Does it still resurface in your mind/life these days, or is it mostly forgotten as a long past project you've worked on.

It's something I feel like I'll never be able to completely forget, so I was curious how it felt for the writers of it.
Some days I don't think about it at all, other days I get to thinking about it and still cannot wrap my head around the fact of its existence. It helps somewhat that I still get the odd message here and there from people discovering the game for the first time, which is somehow even weirder than anything else, although I guess the internet is forever so it's not terribly surprising.
Parthen

Post by Parthen »

Hello, I have a dispute with my friend. We both love Shizune route and we can see that characters eat something all the time. I think that just time-kill inserts, but my friend is think that author have some problems with that. So, does anybody know?
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

Parthen wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:46 am Hello, I have a dispute with my friend. We both love Shizune route and we can see that characters eat something all the time. I think that just time-kill inserts, but my friend is think that author have some problems with that. So, does anybody know?
We'll likely never know if Anon had something in mind regarding that.
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

Out of sheer curiousity, are all route writers guys, or was there a lady among writers? Just curious.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

Holy crap, nobody uses twitter anymore since 2020, what do everyone use now I wonder Kappa