Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Re: Ask!

Post by cpl_crud »

ArcCain wrote:
Silentcook wrote:I seem to remember ke^4 fell prey to artist self-loathing. You know, "my stuff is shit, all I do sucks, I can't do this". Fairly common ailment.
Self-criticism truly is a double-edged sword, on the one hand it's really good to have some, but you really need to moderate it or it will turn into self-loathing really fast.
cpl_crud wrote:I actually think that the others saved you all from a lot of my early days crap writing.
At one point we would have had a lot of honorifics. That was a terrible idea.
Yeah, you and Aura mentioned that honorifics didn't translate well into written form. I tested it with some literary doodles and it does look odd.

It was bit of a quirk that I had left over from the days of doing fan-subs. In translation it can be a bit of a useful tool, but I have since changed sides and I think that the "real" translators are able to find ways to have the same effect without jamming "-chan" in everywhere.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Lianam

Post by Lianam »

cpl_crud wrote: It was bit of a quirk that I had left over from the days of doing fan-subs. In translation it can be a bit of a useful tool, but I have since changed sides and I think that the "real" translators are able to find ways to have the same effect without jamming "-chan" in everywhere.
You did fan-subs?
Ce ne sont pas une signature.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Lianam wrote:
cpl_crud wrote: It was bit of a quirk that I had left over from the days of doing fan-subs. In translation it can be a bit of a useful tool, but I have since changed sides and I think that the "real" translators are able to find ways to have the same effect without jamming "-chan" in everywhere.
You did fan-subs?

Yes, I ran We are IN Denial (WinD) for a few years.

The biggest thing we did was Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, but there were a few rew others

It was a while ago but here is a blog post about it

http://wp.me/p1huKD-eu

------
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

It would seem that traffic on the forum has gone down quite a bit. Will you guys keep it up even if there isn't a lot of people online these days?
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

ArcCain wrote:It would seem that traffic on the forum has gone down quite a bit. Will you guys keep it up even if there isn't a lot of people online these days?
Yeah, the forums will stay up for plenty of time to come. Maybe another 4LS project will come by to use them.

Shout out to Silentcook for keeping up the bulk of the forum moderation for all these years. Thanks man. :)
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Suriko wrote:
ArcCain wrote:It would seem that traffic on the forum has gone down quite a bit. Will you guys keep it up even if there isn't a lot of people online these days?
Yeah, the forums will stay up for plenty of time to come. Maybe another 4LS project will come by to use them.

Shout out to Silentcook for keeping up the bulk of the forum moderation for all these years. Thanks man. :)
Agreed!
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
braineaters

Post by braineaters »

Hisao remarks on several occasions that due to his heart condition, he will have a much shorter life than a healthy person. Iirc he mentions his 30's. So I'd like to know if his lifespan actually supposed to be this short and these comments taken at face value, or is Hisao just being pessimstic and mulling over his life in a gloomy mood?
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I doubt you will get a clear answer to this question, since the policy here has always been to leave interpretations to the readers.

However iIrc the only medical professional who comments on Hisao's life expectancy is the doctor in the prologue, who says that people with Hisao's condition can live full and happy lives...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I've always took that as Hisao being pessimistic personally.
Not Dead Yet
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

cpl_crud wrote:

The biggest thing we did was Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, but there were a few rew others

Bit of an odd question I suppose but, Crud, who would you say it's your favorite girl in Higurashi? Surely you have a preference.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Kon22 wrote:
cpl_crud wrote:

Bit of an odd question I suppose but, Crud, who would you say it's your favorite girl in Higurashi? Surely you have a preference.
Mion. Without a doubt.

Probably one of, if not the most favoured characters ever

------
brythain

Post by brythain »

cpl_crud wrote:
Kon22 wrote:Bit of an odd question I suppose but, Crud, who would you say it's your favorite girl in Higurashi? Surely you have a preference.
Mion. Without a doubt.

Probably one of, if not the most favoured characters ever
I like Mion, but perhaps even more because of Shion. That duality always struck me as an interesting one. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Suriko wrote:Yeah, the forums will stay up for plenty of time to come. Maybe another 4LS project will come by to use them.

Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Klefx

Post by Klefx »

I was looking at the katawa shoujo wiki recently, and noticed some work being down towards a transcription. http://katawashoujo.wikia.com/wiki/Transcripts (and in recent activity, someone is going through and working on it actively).

There have been three mentions of transcribing KS that I can find on these forums, each of them shot down. However, all three of them seemed to be of different kinds - two of them were porting it into a different medium, and one of them was transcribing it into book form. I was wondering what you though of this direct transcription of KS onto the wiki, scene by scene as basically free information. I can see the benefits of having it in plaintext for people who for some reason can't have the game itself (or don't want the visuals), as well as being able to feed it into a text-to-speech program (as every voice over project has failed). To me this seems to be no different than the voice over projects, and those did not seem to be shut down but rather failed for other reasons, but I did wonder about an official word.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Klefx wrote:I was looking at the katawa shoujo wiki recently, and noticed some work being down towards a transcription. http://katawashoujo.wikia.com/wiki/Transcripts (and in recent activity, someone is going through and working on it actively).

There have been three mentions of transcribing KS that I can find on these forums, each of them shot down. However, all three of them seemed to be of different kinds - two of them were porting it into a different medium, and one of them was transcribing it into book form. I was wondering what you though of this direct transcription of KS onto the wiki, scene by scene as basically free information. I can see the benefits of having it in plaintext for people who for some reason can't have the game itself (or don't want the visuals), as well as being able to feed it into a text-to-speech program (as every voice over project has failed). To me this seems to be no different than the voice over projects, and those did not seem to be shut down but rather failed for other reasons, but I did wonder about an official word.
I'm not really sure what's being asked, to be honest. If they want to transcribe the game, then I guess there's no issue about it from us, if that's what you mean.