Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

brythain

Re: Ask!

Post by brythain »

Azure Henry wrote:Does the student in Hisao's class who uses a cane have a name? He sits in the back and is noticed by Hisao on his first day, but never seems to come up again.
Akio Hayashi, from the Yearbook picture.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Azure Henry

Post by Azure Henry »

brythain wrote:
Azure Henry wrote:Does the student in Hisao's class who uses a cane have a name? He sits in the back and is noticed by Hisao on his first day, but never seems to come up again.
Akio Hayashi, from the Yearbook picture.
Thanks so much!
Through vigilance and strength, we create peace.
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

I know you get a lot like these, but, what would you say is the most common mistake rookies make when they want to make a visual novel (Or a similar project, really)? Trying to chew more than they can swallow? Lack of organization? Lack of focus on the project?
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Kon22 wrote:I know you get a lot like these, but, what would you say is the most common mistake rookies make when they want to make a visual novel (Or a similar project, really)? Trying to chew more than they can swallow? Lack of organization? Lack of focus on the project?
Scope.

Just writing and seeing where it goes leads to tremendous amounts of problems. If you can plan out the scenario and roughly how each scene will play out, you can get a good idea of assets required (in terms of sprites, CGs, and music). Even if it's a small VN, having a shopping list of what's needed helps dramatically in terms of having a common goal in mind between everyone, and an easy way to keep tasks available for everyone involved.

Given how stupid KS's development process was, "let's make something like KS" saddens me every time I see it.
Klefx

Post by Klefx »

Who wrote the scene names/descriptions and the act names?
Zykes

Post by Zykes »

When approaching the steps for writing the story, did you feel comfortable with the ability you had, or did you feel you had to touch up on it with a guide book to help some of your weaker points or even take writing classes?

And in any case, would you suggest doing either of those things for anyone else looking to improve their writing?
"I look down as I step forward, passing by all those that stare, and hold fear in my heart. I stop and look up, I realize I am not afraid of what others think of me. I am afraid of of what I think of myself."

Staggering Harmony - OC Fanfic
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Klefx wrote:Who wrote the scene names/descriptions and the act names?
The scene and act titles were a joint effort, but the path writers took care of most of their respective areas of responsibility.

The scene descriptions were mostly written by me, but the path writers pitched in, particularly in act 1.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Zykes wrote:When approaching the steps for writing the story, did you feel comfortable with the ability you had, or did you feel you had to touch up on it with a guide book to help some of your weaker points or even take writing classes?

And in any case, would you suggest doing either of those things for anyone else looking to improve their writing?
I knew I was bad, but it didn't occur me to go take a course at that stage. So yeah I guess you could say I felt comfortable.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Aura wrote:
Zykes wrote:When approaching the steps for writing the story, did you feel comfortable with the ability you had, or did you feel you had to touch up on it with a guide book to help some of your weaker points or even take writing classes?

I knew I was bad, but it didn't occur me to go take a course at that stage. So yeah I guess you could say I felt comfortable.
I guess I have a similar story.

I was fairly confident in myself when I started, so I didn't really study anything.

However, the "school of 4LS" taught me more than I realised, and looking back on early stuff is pretty cringe inducing for me.

I suppose that the standard adage of "if you want to get good at something, do a lot of it" applies, but you also need to have some trusted advisors to move you out of your naive mindset and help you perform.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

Happy new year, y'all!

During the development, did you ever feel like someone was trying to implement their ideas over the rest? Did everyone, artists included, have a say on the direction the project was going or did you all simply resonate well and it never became a problem? Do you feel like this could be a problem in a project of this scale and these characteristics (Non profitable, for example)?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Yeah. The KS project didn't have clear creative leadership, so the people who spent the most time or most vigor into the creative discussions and feedback clearly had more influence than others. I was one of them, but even though I was the head writer I didn't want to drown out the creative voices of the rest of the script team. I had to consciously dial down the pressure I was putting on others and learn to let things slide. In a project of KS's magnitude it's not possible for everyone to be satisfied with everything anyway, so it was good to learn to pick my fights.

And yes it absolutely can be a huge problem. If some people feel their concerns and ideas aren't being heard, it can lead to frustration, feelings of alienation and lack of motivation.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Lazlow89

Post by Lazlow89 »

Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you! Thank you all for your work, I really enjoyed every path.
baskervald

Post by baskervald »

I'm sorry if it's been asked before, but what're your opinions on fan "spiritual successors" to Katawa Shoujo that, while technically adhering to your license, are clearly inspired by KS?

(not because I want to make one -- I personally think they're fairly unoriginal, and now that KS exists there's no point in another visual novel featuring an all-disabled cast and that more imaginative angles should be taken -- but just because I'm curious about your feelings on it after recently finding out about Full Hearts)
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

baskervald wrote:I'm sorry if it's been asked before, but what're your opinions on fan "spiritual successors" to Katawa Shoujo that, while technically adhering to your license, are clearly inspired by KS?

(not because I want to make one -- I personally think they're fairly unoriginal, and now that KS exists there's no point in another visual novel featuring an all-disabled cast and that more imaginative angles should be taken -- but just because I'm curious about your feelings on it after recently finding out about Full Hearts)
Besides featuring disabled characters, I'm not sure you can accuse Katawa Shoujo of being original to begin with. I guess what bothers me more is the fact that they considered the disabilities of the characters something worth emulating.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Popular things have been imitated forever. Take a look around google play store. For every popular mobile game there are about 500 clones of it, trying to mine the same vein the original struck. Maybe it's a scumbag move, maybe it's not? There's no point getting worked up over it either way. Aside from that, I do think emulating KS too closely is a bad idea for the same reason I'm not interested in making a sequel myself, and these superficial aspects are some of the worst parts of KS in the first place, but pursuing bad ideas is everyone's prerogative.