Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Shockproof Jamo

Re: Ask!

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Suriko wrote:
100312sidethumbs.jpg
Pretty cuddly in it's own, squiggly way. :D

What about dialogue, the interaction between the characters? I've recently experimented a little bit with writing a screenplay, and I must say, trying to think up something sensible for the characters to say is bloody difficult. So basically, what's the trick behind thinking up meaningful, sensible things for the characters to say and talk about, without the whole thing feeling “No, John. You are the demons”-levels of stupid? From what cornucopia did you manage to draw all the text that ended up comprising the Katawa Shoujo script? What was the creative process like that gave you something to say, an opinion to voice, the ability to express yourselves exactly the way you wanted to? Like during the Rin-path, when Rin suddenly throws out that flurry of words, I've always wondered what inspired that?

Also, @Aura, that book you're referencing, is it the Juoppohullun Päiväkirja?
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Shockproof Jamo wrote:
What about dialogue, the interaction between the characters? I've recently experimented a little bit with writing a screenplay, and I must say, trying to think up something sensible for the characters to say is bloody difficult. So basically, what's the trick behind thinking up meaningful, sensible things for the characters to say and talk about, without the whole thing feeling “No, John. You are the demons”-levels of stupid? From what cornucopia did you manage to draw all the text that ended up comprising the Katawa Shoujo script? What was the creative process like that gave you something to say, an opinion to voice, the ability to express yourselves exactly the way you wanted to? Like during the Rin-path, when Rin suddenly throws out that flurry of words, I've always wondered what inspired that?

I always try and map the conversation out in my head, playing both roles as a person (although with Hanako this was almost universally "...").

Then have a cup of tea and read it again to make sure it flows like a real conversation. That is about as close as I ever get to proof reading OTL

it helps to have a lot of other people reading it and commenting on it.

On some rare occasions I'll actually say the sentence out loud to make sure that it rolls off the tongue like real speech.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Shockproof Jamo wrote:
Suriko wrote:
100312sidethumbs.jpg
Pretty cuddly in it's own, squiggly way. :D

Also, @Aura, that book you're referencing, is it the Juoppohullun Päiväkirja?
Written dialog, for me at least, doesn't need to necessarily sound good when spoken aloud--it needs to read well, and those two are different things (this is true of screenplays too, really, unless you are writing some mumblecore bullshit up its own ass with "naturalistic" dialog). The way people talk in real life is full of long pauses and bursts of words--a lot more "um's" and the like. I always tried to have a sort of rhythm to my dialog, which can get out of hand if I'm not careful. As for coming up with "meaningful, sensible things" to talk about, well... I'm not sure it's as important as you think--if you can make the characters bounce off one another enough, and get the words to flow well enough, it will still be enjoyable to read. That being said, mostly characters talk to one another to wrestle with an idea or move the plot along or (my personal favorite) to show their personalities off. It's why so much of Emi and Hisao's dialog is kind of nonsense, because it's just two people going back and forth with no real direction--except at the same time, their inability to have a serious conversation is in itself a somewhat important plot point. You just kind of have to be willing to do a lot of writing and re-writing until it feels right--or sometimes you get lucky and knock out a scene in one shot (this only has ever happened to me once, with Emi at the graveyard, and even then I think I wound up going back and tweaking her phrasing a few times before the final release).
HSsenior

Post by HSsenior »

What does these quotes mean in Rin's route?
"Ysae s'ti tub, drah smees."
"Ti tsujda ot evah uoy won."
Rin said that these are talked backwards(according to the game), and I have no idea about how to say those, so I couldn't even try to record it and play it reversely.
brythain

Post by brythain »

HSsenior wrote:What does these quotes mean in Rin's route?
"Ysae s'ti tub, drah smees."
"Ti tsujda ot evah uoy won."
Rin said that these are talked backwards(according to the game), and I have no idea about how to say those, so I couldn't even try to record it and play it reversely.
"Seems hard, but it's easy."
"Now you have to adjust it."
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

Question from me:
I heard somewhere that Rika was supposed to be based off of Rei Ayanami from Evangelion (if I'm wrong, please correct me).
If that is the case, then was there any inspiration for Saki's design, or was it just random?
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Neither of them are inspired by anything specific, certainly not by Rei.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

Aura wrote:Neither of them are inspired by anything specific, certainly not by Rei.
Fair enough.
Oops :oops:
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

I did some rudimentary searches and it doesn't look like the question was ever asked, so hopefully this isn't redundant:

Was there ever any interest by the dev team in including a song with vocals on the soundtrack? Was having a purely instrumental OST an artistic decision or a pragmatic one?
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Leaty wrote:I did some rudimentary searches and it doesn't look like the question was ever asked, so hopefully this isn't redundant:

Was there ever any interest by the dev team in including a song with vocals on the soundtrack? Was having a purely instrumental OST an artistic decision or a pragmatic one?

I think there were lengthy discussions about a theme song. I made some basic enquiries through my friends but it all got a little too hard, and I also think that we never really convinced the whole team of the need of a song.

But that was really early in the process, when things like "story" and "art" were much Bigger issues.

So I guess you could say it was an artistic decision, and probably for the best
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

When/if Four Leaf Studios release a new project, will you get website dedicated to the studio and it's projects or will you stick to your blog?
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

I dunno, I guess? I think we probably require some kind of a critical mass of stuff to bother with a website for the studio itself (since we haven't made one so far in the soon 8 years of our existence). How much that is, I couldn't say.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
diru

Post by diru »

Do you guys have interest in astrology and did you write your characters according to their Zodiacs? or did you just give their birthdays by simply looking at their attitudes, characteristics etc.?

For example Lily vs. Shizune clash was a great presentation of Aquarius vs. Taurus. They never get along. Hisao was clearly someone who loves dearly, attached. But can easily forget past-loves aswell. Which represents Aries. Hanako's shyness leads to Cancer. Shizune is a dominant person but a terrible leader leads to Taurus and more others...

The only one I totally disagree is Emi. She's definitely an Aries girl instead of Pisces. She can remove you from her mind instantly. She's a lively person, likes sports and you have to keep up with her energy. Hates laziness. Likes exploring in love, likes physical chaff and is a dominant girl.

If you have no interest in Astrology and birthdays were given randomly, then what a coincidence!

I played KS a looong long time ago(like when it was released? maybe) and I'm pretty much late to say this but thank you guys for all your work. Great, inspiring music and absolutely fantastic writing.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Absolutely a coincidence. Most of the birthdays were randomly decided and astrology was never brought up.
Happiest Epitaphs

Post by Happiest Epitaphs »

1) When writing Rin's route, did you have any particular... Source of inspiration for her story, or her character? Rin struck me as so unlike most other fictional characters, in general (then again, the entire cast of KS really does stand out), so I wondered if you created her based on a particular base of any kind, or if you just sorta sprung her out of the ether.

2) If you could meet all of the cast, in real life, but as they were portrayed in the final release of the game, how well do you think you'd get along with them?

3) What do you think was the most hilarious experience in the development process of this game?