Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

StuBenedict

Re: Ask!

Post by StuBenedict »

Thanks for the reply!

And hey -- #5 behind those other four games is nothing to sneeze at! Besides, it's far too soon for me to decide where KS ranks amongst my faves anyhow. It's kind of like how I really loved Grand Budapest Hotel, but it'll take me a couple years to suss out whether it's better than Moonrise Kingdom!
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Say I made some KS t-shirts through a design website or by hand, would I be allowed to sell them for no profit? Basically at production value, or would I have to give them away for free? Or not at all.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
TheSnowKing

Post by TheSnowKing »

In the forums it clearly states that there will be no other work concerning Katawa Shoujo. However it also says that the same developers that made it are working on another game. Is the new game going to be another graphic novel/Romance like KS? Also this is my first time here so please excuse me if the answer is buried beneath 4k replies somewhere.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

TheSnowKing wrote:In the forums it clearly states that there will be no other work concerning Katawa Shoujo. However it also says that the same developers that made it are working on another game. Is the new game going to be another graphic novel/Romance like KS? Also this is my first time here so please excuse me if the answer is buried beneath 4k replies somewhere.
They've said that they'll reveal it when the time comes. Patience, my good friend.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

CoffeeDrive wrote:Say I made some KS t-shirts through a design website or by hand, would I be allowed to sell them for no profit? Basically at production value, or would I have to give them away for free? Or not at all.
selling for no profit? you mean giving them away for free or selling them at production value?
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

CoffeeDrive wrote:Say I made some KS t-shirts through a design website or by hand, would I be allowed to sell them for no profit? Basically at production value, or would I have to give them away for free? Or not at all.
If you made the artwork on them, go ahead. If it uses game assets, no. A few people have done pins and stuff with their fanart, like rtil, and that's absolutely fine.
TheSnowKing wrote:In the forums it clearly states that there will be no other work concerning Katawa Shoujo. However it also says that the same developers that made it are working on another game. Is the new game going to be another graphic novel/Romance like KS? Also this is my first time here so please excuse me if the answer is buried beneath 4k replies somewhere.
No comment as of yet. Please wait warmly.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

If you had the choice, would you have wanted that KS be a little less of a dating sim ? like more story-wise and without some genre conventions ? (I think I read that you often regret the sex scenes, because it is the element of the game that makes KS the most controversial and less "blameless" for the devs and justify most of the anonymity)
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Well, we had the choice and KS is not a dating sim, so your premise is flawed from the start. But to answer what I assume to be the spirit of your question: as far as I am concerned no, not particularly.

We bitchslapped quite a few of the genre conventions - some by poking fun at them or subverting them, some by not including them at all - thus I'm not feeling guilty about what might be left in.

Also for the record, my anonymity to the world at large is because I don't want to be pestered. A lot of pestering happens anyway. If I wanted to be truly anonymous you wouldn't even have a forum nickname to look up, and I wouldn't be here answering questions.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

I've never heard any of the writers talk about the H-scenes in terms couched in any sense of regret. They were difficult to write for some, but we feel that they're an integral part of each story. If they're controversial, that's on the person labelling it so and not really our concern. Anonymity regarding the project is largely just the same level of anonymity any random internet-goer uses. We neither use more nor less than what we used to as a result of anything to do with KS.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Ok thank you for the answer, just that as I read this article cpl_crud: https://cplcrud.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/regrets/

I suposse it varies opinions, always interesting to see the opinions of each author when it's possible. :)
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

I've gotten sloppy with my anonymity lately, because I stopped caring as much--if I were contacted on a different account about KS, I doubt I would respond, though.

As for the H scenes, they were a challenge to do, but I feel like I did what I could and that's all there is to it. I don't regret putting them in, or writing them. I would probably write them differently now, but that's only because I wrote those like... I guess five or six years ago at this point.
Bluegaze

Post by Bluegaze »

Hi, I am new to the forums and Katawa Shoujo itself, never played another game like this one, and I am not into anime or manga much (only watched like 3 anime and read 1 manga) but I fell in love with the whole thing, especially Lilly's Path which is really lovely and I would like to really congratulate it's writer as well as the artists who made the pictures, most of them are great (I really love the one in the bath and the one in the restaurant most, and I am only disappointed with one, which shows her kissing Hisao, I find it bit subpar).

Anyways, what I wanted to post is I played Shizune route now (it was my 3rd after Emi and Lilly) and I didn't really enjoy it that much (long and pretty boring for me, and only one choice during the whole game doesn't make it better) but that's not what I wanted to say. I noticed that you meet Lilly and Akira some time after the whole Tanabata thing, and Lilly was supposed to leave Japan before it. You also meet Lilly in the school much later (I think if you choose to comfort Misha).
Is it intended if there wasn't Hisao to stop her?
Jovereign

Post by Jovereign »

This image of a Katawa Shoujo anime is a fake right?

http://thecartdriver.com/wp-content/upl ... -chart.jpg
SiniisteR

Post by SiniisteR »

Jovereign wrote:This image of a Katawa Shoujo anime is a fake right?

http://thecartdriver.com/wp-content/upl ... -chart.jpg
Yes, it says so in the bottom right.
SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:Lilly diddling herself
Lilliddy dillidy doo, bee-boppin' that blind bugaboo.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

It says so in the bottom right corner so probably.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents