Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Re: Ask!

Post by Blank Mage »

Aura wrote: I don't know what kind of life threatening accidents you imagine are an issue for the deaf students, but I'd expect most staff members knows at least basics.
Well, for example, if Hisao were to have an attack, and Shizune was the only person around, it would be pretty terrible if she had to resort to pen and paper or charades to get help. Figured I'd ask, thanks.
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Also, quite relevant to this story, is that one of the causes of congenital deafness is LQT1... which is the most common form of long QT.

Essentially, you could quite easily have someone who's deaf and also arrhythmic at Yamaku...

Which actually leads to the next question... what variant of long QT does Hisao have? And how did Shizune's congenital deafness happen (or was that decided)?
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

how come some 4LS dev's are still on the KS forums after so much time after finishing the game? im guessing the forums is mostly a pain in the arse for you guys, having to tame ppl like me and others from doing stupid stuff. but what made/makes you want to keep on going with KS( even in forum form ), i know you didn't hate KS despite the headaches it gave you but from what i gathered(but i might be wrong) you guys were really happy to have finished it and forget about it as soon as possible being fed up with it after so many years of developing
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Kibaro wrote:how come some 4LS dev's are still on the KS forums after so much time after finishing the game? im guessing the forums is mostly a pain in the arse for you guys, having to tame ppl like me and others from doing stupid stuff. but what made/makes you want to keep on going with KS( even in forum form ), i know you didn't hate KS despite the headaches it gave you but from what i gathered(but i might be wrong) you guys were really happy to have finished it and forget about it as soon as possible being fed up with it after so many years of developing
Just because we released KS it doesn't mean we can "forget about it". If you didn't notice, we just released a new version of it this week, and there's still going to be at least one more release before we stop supporting it. Some of the translation team work is done on these forums and our own development forums are here (the parts you see are just a side function). We also chose to bear responsibility for KS: I still have to reply to all sorts of inquiries regularly (I just turned down an offer to buy KS's rights off us). Sure we were happy to finish KS but the rest of your impression is simply wrong.

As for the public forum and why we don't just kick you all out to avoid having dealing with your shit: this might come as a surprise, but it's because I don't want your community to die. The alternative to keeping administrating the forums is shutting them down, which at least I don't want to do. Maybe if I moderated in a less laissez-faire manner it'd feel more of a burden (Silentcook does the heavy lifting for me and we all should be really grateful for him, even if you guys sometimes butt heads (ask him about what motivates him)). I'm sure there will come a time when 4LS will truly dissolve and at that point at the latest, these forums will be killed forever. But that time isn't yet.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

I don't see the members of this forum do shitty things : fanfics, some cordial conversations about a game...what's the deal?
But it is true that it was a weird question ...
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

bhtooefr wrote:Also, quite relevant to this story, is that one of the causes of congenital deafness is LQT1... which is the most common form of long QT.

Essentially, you could quite easily have someone who's deaf and also arrhythmic at Yamaku...

Which actually leads to the next question... what variant of long QT does Hisao have? And how did Shizune's congenital deafness happen (or was that decided)?
At least I can't remember the answer to either.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
ogorhan

Post by ogorhan »

Aura wrote:
Kibaro wrote:how come some 4LS dev's are still on the KS forums after so much time after finishing the game? im guessing the forums is mostly a pain in the arse for you guys, having to tame ppl like me and others from doing stupid stuff. but what made/makes you want to keep on going with KS( even in forum form ), i know you didn't hate KS despite the headaches it gave you but from what i gathered(but i might be wrong) you guys were really happy to have finished it and forget about it as soon as possible being fed up with it after so many years of developing
Just because we released KS it doesn't mean we can "forget about it". If you didn't notice, we just released a new version of it this week, and there's still going to be at least one more release before we stop supporting it. Some of the translation team work is done on these forums and our own development forums are here (the parts you see are just a side function). We also chose to bear responsibility for KS: I still have to reply to all sorts of inquiries regularly (I just turned down an offer to buy KS's rights off us). Sure we were happy to finish KS but the rest of your impression is simply wrong.

As for the public forum and why we don't just kick you all out to avoid having dealing with your shit: this might come as a surprise, but it's because I don't want your community to die. The alternative to keeping administrating the forums is shutting them down, which at least I don't want to do. Maybe if I moderated in a less laissez-faire manner it'd feel more of a burden (Silentcook does the heavy lifting for me and we all should be really grateful for him, even if you guys sometimes butt heads (ask him about what motivates him)). I'm sure there will come a time when 4LS will truly dissolve and at that point at the latest, these forums will be killed forever. But that time isn't yet.
Well I as well as countless others are thankfull that you guys are keeping the forums open and let people discuss even if it already has been discussed before to death. The forums for me is a place to relax and discuss this wonderfull VN with likeminded people. Also big props to Silentcook for keeping up with the forums :mrgreen:

On a related note ever thought of "hiring" additional mods for the forum?
しれー、しれぇー!、しれぇーってばー!ねー!、おーい、きこえてないのー?ぅおーい!

Tokitsukaze y u so cute.

Admiral of the sea and a stout defender of his kanmusu.
Thanatos02

Post by Thanatos02 »

Aura wrote:Just because we released KS it doesn't mean we can "forget about it". If you didn't notice, we just released a new version of it this week, and there's still going to be at least one more release before we stop supporting it. Some of the translation team work is done on these forums and our own development forums are here (the parts you see are just a side function). We also chose to bear responsibility for KS: I still have to reply to all sorts of inquiries regularly (I just turned down an offer to buy KS's rights off us). Sure we were happy to finish KS but the rest of your impression is simply wrong.

Now that you've had a few years to sit on it, is your response to the overall reception of the game still the same? All of the fanart, fanfiction, coverage by review sites and forums, even let's plays? I can imagine it being either a huge confidence booster or something to cringe about, depending on which part of the community you're looking at.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

At least mine is, more or less. It's still mindblowing how popular KS became but it's just a fact of life now so I don't think about it much.
HayStack44

Post by HayStack44 »

Aura wrote:I still have to reply to all sorts of inquiries regularly (I just turned down an offer to buy KS's rights off us)
Wait, what?

For what purpose? Or was it just a case of someone attempting to buy them and then thinking of a way to make money out of them?
Jovereign

Post by Jovereign »

http://woodmusicbox.tumblr.com

At the link above, that can't be legit right? I didn't want to make a new thread on it so I thought I would just ask one of you fine people here if that link can be confirmed as true or not true.
Xolf

Post by Xolf »

From KS's own FAQ:
Q: Will there be a fandisc, sequel, or prequel to Katawa Shoujo?
A: No. There will be no other work in any way related to Katawa Shoujo.

Q: Can I make one?
A: No.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Ok. I had to move a multitude of posts out of this thread, because it's not for discussion, and I will give a swift ban to anyone who tries to shit up my sanctuary of learning questions about soup further.

The posts concerned the last question and are now in the "random discussion" thread, appropriately, as it seems the best place.
WarbirdHD
Location: A place where all there is is blood, death, destruction, and rainbows.

Post by WarbirdHD »

Hey, Aura.

What inspired you to write Rin the way you did? What I mean by that is how deep and random she was.

I have another question. Who's arc did you like the most from the VN? (You cannot choose your own c:)
WarbirdHD out!
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

WarbirdHD wrote:Hey, Aura.

What inspired you to write Rin the way you did? What I mean by that is how deep and random she was.

I have another question. Who's arc did you like the most from the VN? (You cannot choose your own c:)
Aura wrote:I obviously am disqualified from considering Rin's route here, but of the other four, Shizune's is my favourite.

22 writes really good sentences and most of the time, the best dialogue out of any of us. A reader can delve deeper into Shizune's route than the others, which I personally like too. Now if only the side characters' character designs were less clowny.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair