Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Brogurt

Re: Ask!

Post by Brogurt »

I've noticed a fairly obvious discrepancy in how some of you devs handle "canon" in this thread, namely between Aura and Suriko. From what I've seen, Suriko insists that there is a "canon" and that it is composed of everything in the finished material and nothing more, while Aura has given responses to things in a different manner. It usually seems to be some concrete answer to a question that is not even mentioned in the game, or a "canon is whatever you want it to be" kind of deal. As I understand it, these correspond pretty closely with the classical and modern interpretations of pretty much any fictional media, but literature is cited as the most common/evident.

Anyway, has this dichotomy ever influenced KS in any manner? Were there ever large disagreements on what to include on the principle of it violating or not violating "canon"? Extras come to mind, such as scenes or content not existing within any one path or continuity. And yes I know about the Miki path, but I'm not really interested unless it relates to this question.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Brogurt wrote:I've noticed a fairly obvious discrepancy in how some of you devs handle "canon" in this thread, namely between Aura and Suriko. From what I've seen, Suriko insists that there is a "canon" and that it is composed of everything in the finished material and nothing more, while Aura has given responses to things in a different manner. It usually seems to be some concrete answer to a question that is not even mentioned in the game, or a "canon is whatever you want it to be" kind of deal. As I understand it, these correspond pretty closely with the classical and modern interpretations of pretty much any fictional media, but literature is cited as the most common/evident.

Anyway, has this dichotomy ever influenced KS in any manner? Were there ever large disagreements on what to include on the principle of it violating or not violating "canon"? Extras come to mind, such as scenes or content not existing within any one path or continuity. And yes I know about the Miki path, but I'm not really interested unless it relates to this question.
The twist is that the replies I give in this thread might actually not be canon. It's true that we (including myself) consider only KS itself official canon, and everything else, including anything we've said or done, is apocryphal. However, we are quite flippant about the significance of "canon", and don't really consider it an awfully meaningful thing to concern oneself with, thus the occasionally whimsical replies, vast amounts of side material and outright trolling that we sometimes do. Canon really is what you want it to be, there is no way we can dictate what people believe. But really, just read that blog post by delta. It's a very good picture of how we feel about canon.

There were no disagreements on adding material like joke endings, wildly out of character omake scenes or other canon-breaking stuff because everyone thinks they are fucking stupid.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Jovereign

Post by Jovereign »

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I made a thread about how the character Hisao said the same lane a few times in different scenes. The line was "Hustle and Bustle" http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8219

I chuckled a lot catching this because of how often he would say this line. It wasn't a phrase I would usually hear at all in real life, let alone multiple times by the same character. :lol: I mean the phrase is not weird or anything, but I just found it odd as well.

Was this intentional by the writer? I guess as a way of describing Hisao's character or personalty; or a little habit the writer had when writing this line and didn't notice how many times he actually said it? I just thought it was very amusing and I became really curious if this was intentional or not.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Jovereign wrote:About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I made a thread about how the character Hisao said the same lane a few times in different scenes. The line was "Hustle and Bustle" http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8219

I chuckled a lot catching this because of how often he would say this line. It wasn't a phrase I would usually hear at all in real life, let alone multiple times by the same character. :lol: I mean the phrase is not weird or anything, but I just found it odd as well.

Was this intentional by the writer? I guess as a way of describing Hisao's character or personalty; or a little habit the writer had when writing this line and didn't notice how many times he actually said it? I just thought it was very amusing and I became really curious if this was intentional or not.
A habit I didn't notice. I guess I get a slap on the wrist for that oversight.
muliebrity wrote:How many of you are interested in working on games outside of this genre? Would writing for other game types suit you, do you think?
I have zero interest in writing a Japanese high school story ever again. I do, however, have quite a thing for stories set in historical settings. Visual novels are a pretty neat medium, but if the opportunity came up and looked interesting enough, I'd be open to others.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Raziel wrote:How does run lack a bush but Emily has one? I think it should be the other way around...

Emily = emi.
run = rin

Autocorrect screwed me over.... again
Last edited by Raziel on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Describe Rin's path of thought,
I think of my own more like a big ball of wobbly wobbly thinking... thing..

Does rin have aspergers? Some ppl speculate so...
Last edited by Raziel on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

ASL?
In other words,
If you don't mind me asking, where are you guys from (IRL)
Hivemind is in Chicago ( saw it in his tumblr )
http://thehivemindwrites.tumblr.com/
Last edited by Raziel on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Suriko wrote:Visual novels are a pretty neat medium, but if the opportunity came up and looked interesting enough, I'd be open to others.
Suriko for writing the next Prince of Persia game! \o/
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

Suriko wrote:I have zero interest in writing a Japanese high school story ever again.
A few of the writers has said the same thing, care to elaborate on it? Why would you not want to write about Japanese high school story´s?
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
neio

Post by neio »

Raziel wrote:
Raziel wrote:How does run lack a bush but Emily has one? I think it should be the other way around...

Emily = emi.
run = rin

Autocorrect screwed me over.... again
Maybe Rin shaves. That would be impressive.
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

So we are talking about that kind of bushes here?
Woody Alien

Post by Woody Alien »

When helping Rin paint the mural in Act 1, Hisao mentions reading a book about some people drinking beer and doing little else. What kind of book is that?
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Were any of you fans of Raita's work before you started working on the game, or had you not heard of him before that image was posted on 4-chan?
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

MutilatedManequin wrote:Can't be nackerd to dig through 180 pages lol. Did the production of KS interrupt your daily routine or life any? How did You divide time between KS and irl
I was in school for a lot of KS' production, which meant that I had lots of free time. When I had a job, it was just something I did in the evenings or indeed on weekends. You make the time, and while I am sure that I would have done something else instead if I hadn't been writing KS, it probably would not have been as productive. I only really started having something like a daily routine like two years ago and the game was pretty much finished by then so I can't say it disrupted my 'routine.'
Woody Alien wrote:When helping Rin paint the mural in Act 1, Hisao mentions reading a book about some people drinking beer and doing little else. What kind of book is that?
Literary fiction is largely about people leading mundane lives. Hell if I know which actual book is being referenced, but possibly "a good book."
Brogurt wrote: Anyway, has this dichotomy ever influenced KS in any manner? Were there ever large disagreements on what to include on the principle of it violating or not violating "canon"? Extras come to mind, such as scenes or content not existing within any one path or continuity. And yes I know about the Miki path, but I'm not really interested unless it relates to this question.
What Miki path? You mean the one we bullshitted about and were never actually that serious about?

We lie ALL THE TIME is the best way to understand it. The only thing you can safely consider canon is what's in the game. Anything else should be viewed with suspicion.

And yeah we never felt the urge to put all that stuff Aura mentioned in because they really are fucking dumb.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

TheHivemind wrote:And yeah we never felt the urge to put all that stuff Aura mentioned in because they really are fucking dumb.
I love your camaraderie.