Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
BlackWaltzTheThird
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Ask!

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:40 pm

OtakuNinja wrote:
Great Cthulhu wrote:To Aura:

Was there any reason you were inspired you to use the different dialog windows and interfaces that show up in Rin's route, such as the white screen one with "Passing of Time" playing?
I don't remember seeing different dialog windows? :?
Check out one of Rin's rants. There's dialogue boxes that take up the whole screen. Also during Rin's festival scene there is bold text that appears without a box behind it.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!

User avatar
Carighan
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by Carighan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Suriko wrote:We talk shit on IRC a bunch, and a number of the artists are on MSN. I'm a pretty private (read shy) person, so my circle of private contacts is pretty small, and I don't bother with things like Facebook.
Sorry that I pick this seemingly random one out, but it was what reminded me of a question I wanted to ask:
  • Were any paths either written by someone with the corresponding (or a similar) disability, or did someone with it help with details of the character?
Also, horrible game. Really, really horrible. I don't think I ever cried so much over a video game.
(Easily GOTY 2012 for me :X )
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

TheHivemind
Path Writer
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by TheHivemind » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:54 pm

Carighan wrote:
Suriko wrote:We talk shit on IRC a bunch, and a number of the artists are on MSN. I'm a pretty private (read shy) person, so my circle of private contacts is pretty small, and I don't bother with things like Facebook.
Sorry that I pick this seemingly random one out, but it was what reminded me of a question I wanted to ask:
  • Were any paths either written by someone with the corresponding (or a similar) disability, or did someone with it help with details of the character?
Also, horrible game. Really, really horrible. I don't think I ever cried so much over a video game.
(Easily GOTY 2012 for me :X )
Most, if not all, of our medical information came courtesy of Silentcook. Anything he didn't know we googled the shit out of.

Nobody on the dev team suffers from any disabilities related to the game (well, as far as I know).

User avatar
Kyvos
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Re: Ask!

Post by Kyvos » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:40 pm

TheHivemind wrote: Most, if not all, of our medical information came courtesy of Silentcook. Anything he didn't know we googled the shit out of.

Nobody on the dev team suffers from any disabilities related to the game (well, as far as I know).
Huh. Question for Silentcook: How the hell do you know so much about disabilities?
Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Rin
100% get!

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You
Posts: 2530
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Imola, Italy

Re: Ask!

Post by Silentcook » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:05 pm

TheHivemind wrote:Nobody on the dev team suffers from any disabilities related to the game (well, as far as I know).
Unless we count development-induced insomnia/sleep paralysis, sudden BP increases, incontrollable foaming at the mouth, and other such ailments. :)
Kyvos wrote:Huh. Question for Silentcook: How the hell do you know so much about disabilities?
I am a nurse.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Image

User avatar
Shadowyeclipse
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by Shadowyeclipse » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:28 am

Huh, that's interesting.

What do you do as a nurse, silentcook?
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Image
Image

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You
Posts: 2530
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Imola, Italy

Re: Ask!

Post by Silentcook » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:32 am

Currently I'm working in a neurosurgery OR. I've previously worked in a general, maxillo-facial, plastic, and thoracic surgery OR.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Image

User avatar
Helbereth
Posts: 1532
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:44 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: Ask!

Post by Helbereth » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Silentcook wrote:
TheHivemind wrote:Nobody on the dev team suffers from any disabilities related to the game (well, as far as I know).
Unless we count development-induced insomnia/sleep paralysis, sudden BP increases, incontrollable foaming at the mouth, and other such ailments. :)
>incontrollable
Aren't you their editor? For shame.

Knowing full well that a lot of story threads were eventually abandoned, scrapped, or burned after reading, I wonder if any of those scrap-bin ideas were recovered later and added back into the story's final version. Basically what I'm asking is this: did any of the writers go dumpster diving to salvage an earlier idea that was shot down?

User avatar
OtakuNinja
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by OtakuNinja » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:30 pm

Silentcook wrote:I am a nurse.
Do you have anything in common with the Nurse except, well, being a nurse? :)
Image
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You
Posts: 2530
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Imola, Italy

Re: Ask!

Post by Silentcook » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Just a couple demi-scenes of dialogue and the gender.

To be less clever about it, when I joined the dev team Nurse was already a defined character. He was not written by or around me, bar occasions when a writer threw a scene my way and said something like "here, make sure he's properly nurse-y".
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Image

TheHivemind
Path Writer
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by TheHivemind » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:09 am

Helbereth wrote: Knowing full well that a lot of story threads were eventually abandoned, scrapped, or burned after reading, I wonder if any of those scrap-bin ideas were recovered later and added back into the story's final version. Basically what I'm asking is this: did any of the writers go dumpster diving to salvage an earlier idea that was shot down?
Emi's dinner scene was written, scrapped because it sucked, and then brought back (mostly) the same but with extra parts (like Emi kicking you out of the house).

Shadd
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:43 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by Shadd » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:48 pm

Not sure if this is an obvious question, but I'm somewhat confused about the writing process.

In what format did you guys write the drafts? For example, was it like a simple dialogue on a word document that would be transferred later? How much of the characters' expressions and whatnot did they contain?

Sorry if this has been answered before.

User avatar
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:10 am
Location: Australia

Re: Ask!

Post by Suriko » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:56 am

Shadd wrote:Not sure if this is an obvious question, but I'm somewhat confused about the writing process.

In what format did you guys write the drafts? For example, was it like a simple dialogue on a word document that would be transferred later? How much of the characters' expressions and whatnot did they contain?

Sorry if this has been answered before.
The scripts looked a lot like:
"Internal thoughts about the situation blah blah blah."

"Some more internal thoughts."

# comment not parsed by the game itself, serving to communicate to other devs

hi "Blah blah I am Hisao speaking and his name is in the name box."

ha "I am Hanako speaking blah blah."
Each developer wrote in a different program, I just used Notepad. They didn't contain expressions, aside from a few sparse comments here and there about what we intended things to look like if need be.

User avatar
Carighan
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by Carighan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 am

One question which came up in the subreddit about Katawa Shoujo:
  • Was Emi's anal scene intentionally written to have additional comic relief value? Or did it only appear as a combination of the final setup, when the art and writing came together?
    The reason this made me curious is because given what you see of Emi beforehand, this scene actually deepens her character a bit. OTOH, it's still very... odd. The whole setup, with the wheelchair toppling over and the convenience of it feels out of place unless used for comic relief (which would be understandable given the rather heavy scenes beforehand), compared to say, her inviting Hisao to her room for sex.
Sadly I can't address this by name, not sure who wrote Emi's story. Sorry.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

User avatar
Steinherz
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:06 am
Location: New England

Re: Ask!

Post by Steinherz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:08 pm

Carighan wrote:One question which came up in the subreddit about Katawa Shoujo:
  • Was Emi's anal scene intentionally written to have additional comic relief value? Or did it only appear as a combination of the final setup, when the art and writing came together?
    The reason this made me curious is because given what you see of Emi beforehand, this scene actually deepens her character a bit. OTOH, it's still very... odd. The whole setup, with the wheelchair toppling over and the convenience of it feels out of place unless used for comic relief (which would be understandable given the rather heavy scenes beforehand), compared to say, her inviting Hisao to her room for sex.
Sadly I can't address this by name, not sure who wrote Emi's story. Sorry.
I've been wondering this as well, it just seemed so chuckle-worthy compared to all the other scenes in the VN.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.

Post Reply