Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
Sam

Re: Ask!

Post by Sam » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Aura wrote:
Kyvos wrote:This has probably been asked before, but I can't find it.
Is the story supposed to take place in 2007, 2012, some other time, or was it not important enough to actually decide which?
2007, but the fact plays zero role in the story so it could just as well be any other year in the ~2000's.
With Hisao's phone, it could only be 2007.

User avatar
Helbereth
Posts: 1532
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:44 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: Ask!

Post by Helbereth » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:59 pm

Having written fan-fiction and read a lot of it, the majority (including myself) assume the VN takes place in 2007 and adjust things accordingly. My poor Google search tool has been inundated with queries about the 2007 calendar, pop-culture and other snippets to use for reference.

-------------------------------------

What do the original staff think of the fan-fiction spawning regularly over the past Lord knows how long? Having searched the fan-fiction forum, there are entries from as far back as 2007 -including some by the VN writers- and I wonder if any of them influenced changes in the writing of the completed story-lines.

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Helbereth wrote:Having written fan-fiction and read a lot of it, the majority (including myself) assume the VN takes place in 2007 and adjust things accordingly. My poor Google search tool has been inundated with queries about the 2007 calendar, pop-culture and other snippets to use for reference.

-------------------------------------

What do the original staff think of the fan-fiction spawning regularly over the past Lord knows how long? Having searched the fan-fiction forum, there are entries from as far back as 2007 -including some by the VN writers- and I wonder if any of them influenced changes in the writing of the completed story-lines.
Here's a year and a half old blog post on the topic. Tl;dr: Fanfiction is uninteresting and/or not worth it, unless it's massively stylistically transformative, which most writers are not capable of pulling off with grace. As for KS fanfics specifically, it's just one way for the fandom to express itself, but I don't think a single member of 4LS reads fanfics, so it's pretty safe to say they've had approximately zero effect on the game itself. If someone wants to write or read a fanfic, there's nothing wrong with that. They just aren't for me.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You
Posts: 2529
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Imola, Italy

Re: Ask!

Post by Silentcook » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:17 pm

I do skim all fanfics on our forums (God help me) and read a few. The operative part is "a few". Sturgeon's law is, if anything, much too lenient when applied to fan fiction. :?

Regardless of my views on the matter, fan fiction still had zero impact on KS as far as I'm concerned. Nothing was ever cut or added by me because of it.
Shattering your dreams since '94.

Image

User avatar
Bluecoolman
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:36 pm
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado.

Re: Ask!

Post by Bluecoolman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:42 am

Not sure if this has already been asked, But might have, Considering there's 100+ pages in this thread.
But anyways, Not 4LS as a whole, But you, Are you planning on working on anything else in the future? Are you still staying in touch with the other members are talking about any other ideas? (VN or anything else)
Game Completion: 59%
Completed: Lilly Hanako Emi

User avatar
Eraser35
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:43 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Ask!

Post by Eraser35 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:47 am

Sam wrote:
Aura wrote:
Kyvos wrote:This has probably been asked before, but I can't find it.
Is the story supposed to take place in 2007, 2012, some other time, or was it not important enough to actually decide which?
2007, but the fact plays zero role in the story so it could just as well be any other year in the ~2000's.
With Hisao's phone, it could only be 2007.
actually Japan still has those types of cell phones

TheHivemind
Path Writer
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by TheHivemind » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:02 pm

Bluecoolman wrote:Not sure if this has already been asked, But might have, Considering there's 100+ pages in this thread.
But anyways, Not 4LS as a whole, But you, Are you planning on working on anything else in the future? Are you still staying in touch with the other members are talking about any other ideas? (VN or anything else)
Yes and yes (That is, yes I am working on something else, and yes, I stay in touch with the other members).

User avatar
Bluecoolman
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:36 pm
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado.

Re: Ask!

Post by Bluecoolman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:23 pm

TheHivemind wrote:
Bluecoolman wrote:Not sure if this has already been asked, But might have, Considering there's 100+ pages in this thread.
But anyways, Not 4LS as a whole, But you, Are you planning on working on anything else in the future? Are you still staying in touch with the other members are talking about any other ideas? (VN or anything else)
Yes and yes (That is, yes I am working on something else, and yes, I stay in touch with the other members).
If its not too much to ask, Is it being along with some of the other members? And will it be another VN?
Game Completion: 59%
Completed: Lilly Hanako Emi

TheHivemind
Path Writer
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by TheHivemind » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:58 am

Bluecoolman wrote:
TheHivemind wrote:
Bluecoolman wrote:Not sure if this has already been asked, But might have, Considering there's 100+ pages in this thread.
But anyways, Not 4LS as a whole, But you, Are you planning on working on anything else in the future? Are you still staying in touch with the other members are talking about any other ideas? (VN or anything else)
Yes and yes (That is, yes I am working on something else, and yes, I stay in touch with the other members).
If its not too much to ask, Is it being along with some of the other members? And will it be another VN?
I dunno.

Guest

Re: Ask!

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:59 am

「ユウキ」 wrote:Hey Aura.

I don't mean to be vague, as this is aimed a all the writers in general, but I'm curious as th where much of the inspiration for the stories for each character came from. I'm aware RAITA outlined the characters, but a lot of the stories seem quite original, and if I may say so, quite touching. I'm wondering if any or you could share your thoughts and or inspiration for certain when writing.

Thank you again.

Guest

Re: Ask!

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:59 am

I was blown away by the quality of this Story, the detail in each story, the long interactions between each character and so on, i've even had my good Emi ending, which, I am 100 % satisfied to getting ( thought she was crazy). I must say I felt like I was Hisao.
Taking the chance of these having already been asked, though I cannot find them, here they go.

Chances of doing a whole different novel based story?
If yes, are you already working on it?
ETA ?

Suggestion
More sideline stories
More endings
Keep the amazing attention to detail in the interactions
More choices ( Beware though, this could easily turn badly).


That said after experiencing this game, I have high regards for the team.
One thing I would like to stress, I believe strongly that a good choice was made about not giving too much detail to the sex scenes more than it is needed to convey the emotional depth with the characters ( if you work on another project keeping the sex scenes to a minimum appears to be the right choice as it takes away from the story).

I strongly believe that for the next story the game should be sold for a small fee, in that way you can get a bigger team to work on the project thus giving us a better experience.

Kwyna
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by Kwyna » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:48 am

How do you feel about people making tulpas about characters you've written?

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:01 am

Guest wrote:
「ユウキ」 wrote:Hey Aura.

I don't mean to be vague, as this is aimed a all the writers in general, but I'm curious as th where much of the inspiration for the stories for each character came from. I'm aware RAITA outlined the characters, but a lot of the stories seem quite original, and if I may say so, quite touching. I'm wondering if any or you could share your thoughts and or inspiration for certain when writing.

Thank you again.
Can't really speak for others than myself, but in my head the only thing I really identify as inspiration is RAITA's picture. Inspiration is often subconscious, or something very clearly relatable to the end result. I didn't have that kind of experience with writing KS. It was more just lots of hard work and keeping my eyes on target.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:02 am

Guest wrote:I was blown away by the quality of this Story, the detail in each story, the long interactions between each character and so on, i've even had my good Emi ending, which, I am 100 % satisfied to getting ( thought she was crazy). I must say I felt like I was Hisao.
Taking the chance of these having already been asked, though I cannot find them, here they go.

Chances of doing a whole different novel based story?
If yes, are you already working on it?
ETA ?

Suggestion
More sideline stories
More endings
Keep the amazing attention to detail in the interactions
More choices ( Beware though, this could easily turn badly).


That said after experiencing this game, I have high regards for the team.
One thing I would like to stress, I believe strongly that a good choice was made about not giving too much detail to the sex scenes more than it is needed to convey the emotional depth with the characters ( if you work on another project keeping the sex scenes to a minimum appears to be the right choice as it takes away from the story).

I strongly believe that for the next story the game should be sold for a small fee, in that way you can get a bigger team to work on the project thus giving us a better experience.
You get my standard answer to a question about future projects. If we make one, we will announce it when we decide to announce it.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:03 am

Kwyna wrote:How do you feel about people making tulpas about characters you've written?
I didn't even know what a tulpa was before this week when there was a thread about it here. It doesn't move me one way or another who your imaginary friend is. So, indifferent.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

Post Reply