Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

stanman237

Re: Ask!

Post by stanman237 »

As you just mentioned from the above post, your goal was not manipulate "feels" like Jun Maeda, which he does a pretty good job. This question might had been asked already but, when you were writing the VN what was your intended reaction to it if it wasn't for the "feels"? It follows the a similar approach to Jun Maeda minus the magic/fantasy elements
raemz
Artist

Post by raemz »

Out-All Knight wrote:To the artists, During the time your drawing the expressions of each characters, how were you able to make them natural and applicable to their characters? I could see some small but significant details to each expressions (I think) that made me smile a bit.

Also, Did you use a mirror to make those expressions for the characters? :lol:
It's a bit difficult to answer "how you were able to do make them look natural" because that natural emotion just comes to us and we just drew whatever expression that seemed to fit the character's personality or for specific lines. There's not much else to it.

Well as for the mirror, no. Using a mirror as reference is not a good idea for that natural look people have on themselves whenever they're happy, sad, whatever. If I grinned in front of a mirror I'd probably just be making a fool of myself.
gay
Welath

Post by Welath »

What signs do they use for each others names? (sign language)

Dont real know how they do namns in jap only know how we do it with our friends. (first latter of the name over some fyical characteristic of that person.)

Aaaand if you have no ide that no need to answer.

Have a good day.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Did each of you find yourselves drifting towards one character in particular during development, as so many of us had? (This is obviously directed more at the writers than anyone else, really) Is it strange or natural to like some of your characters more than others, or do you simply love them all equally in what they were meant to convey?
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Helbereth wrote:
Out-All Knight wrote:To the artists, During the time your drawing the expressions of each characters, how were you able to make them natural and applicable to their characters? I could see some small but significant details to each expressions (I think) that made me smile a bit.

Also, Did you use a mirror to make those expressions for the characters? :lol:
In relation to this: were any of the characters based on people you actually know? If not with the specific conditions, but with similar looks. Or are they all conjured from the depths of your imagination/from an unknown deep mental source you're not sure you chose to access?

I often find myself drawing people I know into the characters I've created and I wonder if something similar happened here.
As far as I am aware, no. There are some details here and there though. Mutou has a bit of david tennant feel in him, Nomiya's glasses are tinted because my middle school art teacher also had tinted glasses (though yellow) and such, but no character is really based on anyone else.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

stanman237 wrote:As you just mentioned from the above post, your goal was not manipulate "feels" like Jun Maeda, which he does a pretty good job. This question might had been asked already but, when you were writing the VN what was your intended reaction to it if it wasn't for the "feels"? It follows the a similar approach to Jun Maeda minus the magic/fantasy elements
When I use the word "manipulation" it's with absolute, utter disdain. I don't like how the nakige (literally "crying game") genre trades story integrity for cheap shots at the reader's tear ducts. I'm sure any writer wants a reader to laugh when they read something meant to be funny, or feel sad for something sad, but when your only goal is to wring tears out of your reader, it's going too far. As for me, I didn't think of any specific reaction I wanted to evoke in my readers, as Rin's path was a cerebral thing for me more than an emotional one. Any reaction is fine and valid in my book, whereas if you don't cry after reading a nakige game, the game has failed its ultimate goal.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Welath wrote:What signs do they use for each others names? (sign language)

Dont real know how they do namns in jap only know how we do it with our friends. (first latter of the name over some fyical characteristic of that person.)

Aaaand if you have no ide that no need to answer.

Have a good day.
We never decided.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Pseudogenesis wrote:Did each of you find yourselves drifting towards one character in particular during development, as so many of us had? (This is obviously directed more at the writers than anyone else, really) Is it strange or natural to like some of your characters more than others, or do you simply love them all equally in what they were meant to convey?
Some did, some didn't. Suriko and crud in particular had great attachment towards certain characters.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Pseudogenesis wrote:Did each of you find yourselves drifting towards one character in particular during development, as so many of us had? (This is obviously directed more at the writers than anyone else, really) Is it strange or natural to like some of your characters more than others, or do you simply love them all equally in what they were meant to convey?
I think I've said this somewhere else, but in early development (like, old board development) I was really interested in doing Rin's path. I didn't wind up doing it though (obviously) and wrote Emi's path instead.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

I think it'd be impossible to not have likes and dislikes and still be human. Anyway yeah, I did.

Then again, I'm a ruthless bastard whose job description was "have at the script with an axe", so that didn't really affect me much one way or the other...
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Were any of the devs on the team women? Just curious.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

'nother question from going over the script with a fine-toothed comb:

In his first conversation with Lilly, it's implied (rather heavily) that Hisao's previous school had mandatory club membership. Was there any discussion on what club he used to belong to?
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

ProfAllister wrote:'nother question from going over the script with a fine-toothed comb:

In his first conversation with Lilly, it's implied (rather heavily) that Hisao's previous school had mandatory club membership. Was there any discussion on what club he used to belong to?
I'm pretty sure it says somewhere that he was in the soccer club.

If not, then he was in the soccer club.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Pseudogenesis wrote:Were any of the devs on the team women? Just curious.
Sure. We have 5 female members.
Tununias

Post by Tununias »

From the research I did, the shrug is virtually none existent in eastern culture. How is this translated into eastern languages like Japanese and Chinese? When Rin shrugs, is this changed to something else or is it left the way it is assuming that they have a basic understanding of western culture like we do of eastern?