Rin: the unconventional Zen master?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ardiel

Rin: the unconventional Zen master?

Post by ardiel »

What do you think? I see that she is very Zen like, quite often. Especially the moments shes talking about how important it is to just experience things some times.
Xevo

Re: Rin: the unconventional Zen master?

Post by Xevo »

This post definately is as random as her, I'll give you that.
"Anal." - Emi
"I merely have a healthy adolescent sex drive." - Lilly
"The problem is in your pants." - Rin
"I'll tutor you." - Misha
"...?" - Shizune

I approve.
ardiel

Post by ardiel »

Xevo wrote:This post definately is as random as her, I'll give you that.
Haha well I have to admit that Rin and I are quite alike, personality wise. Identical in some ways. :lol:
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

I don't think Rin is very "Zen". I think her blank and non-caring personality is mainly a product of how overworked and confused she is, mentally.
ardiel

Post by ardiel »

Yuno wrote:I don't think Rin is very "Zen". I think her blank and non-caring personality is mainly a product of how overworked and confused she is, mentally.
She does care, though. Just not about things that people find typical. I think the scene where she's on the roof laying on her back looking at the sky is a good indicator of this.

Also I don't think she is blank, she's just blunt. Hisao even comments later that she never fills here thinking silences with "Ummmm" or "hmmmm" or other weird noises that people do, she just says her thought, punctuates it, and it is complete.

I also think her issues come from other people not making sense of her. I don't think she would have been that way if she were understood like she understands herself - that seems to be the entire problem. I often see that she's not necessarily confused within herself, but rather confused about translating herself to the world.

I think she wanted to be related to experientially without all the theoretical machinations that people do.
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

ardiel wrote:
Yuno wrote:I don't think Rin is very "Zen". I think her blank and non-caring personality is mainly a product of how overworked and confused she is, mentally.
She does care, though.
Also I don't think she is blank, she's just blunt.
I didn't say she didn't care, or that her mind is blank. I said her personality is like that. They are characteristics of the way she acts with other people, not her actual mind itself. I think you misunderstood, or I didn't communicate this properly.
ardiel

Post by ardiel »

Yuno wrote:
ardiel wrote:
She does care, though.
Also I don't think she is blank, she's just blunt.
I didn't say she didn't care, or that her mind is blank. I said her personality is like that. They are characteristics of the way she acts with other people, not her actual mind itself. I think you misunderstood, or I didn't communicate this properly.
Probably both. :D

But yes, blank personality I suppose. I guess I'm like her though and don't understand why this is very important.

I find The Worry Tree scene to be a good example of what I'm talking about. I think she shows quite a prophetic wisdom about herself in this scene. She knows herself here and is truly not confused at all except for maybe deciding she should go through with the thing or not. She has a lot of these little lucid moments where what she says is completely accurate, but it seems to get overlooked for some reason, maybe because of who it is coming from or because it lacks all of the trivial flavorings that people tend to add.

I see many of these cases where she's direct, complete, not more, not less, and nobody around seems to notice. Like they can't see the forest because of the trees, or they are thinking with too much complexity.