Could Katawa Shoujo ever be an anime?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

purple haired Katawa Shoujo character

Re: Could Katawa Shoujo ever be an anime?

Post by purple haired Katawa Shoujo character »

Forgetting logistics, copyrights, and all that, if Katawa Shoujo were to be an anime true to the VN, the best way to do is to have each route represented in it's own season of the show. The first episode of each season will need to reflect Act 1, but the actions of Hisao will differ depending on which girl he's going after in that episode. Afterwards, it would follow the route of one of the girls. Rinse, repeat.

And of course, each OP will reflect the season, much like the animations in the VN reflected each path.
luinthoron

Post by luinthoron »

purple haired Katawa Shoujo character wrote:Forgetting logistics, copyrights, and all that, if Katawa Shoujo were to be an anime true to the VN, the best way to do is to have each route represented in it's own season of the show. The first episode of each season will need to reflect Act 1, but the actions of Hisao will differ depending on which girl he's going after in that episode. Afterwards, it would follow the route of one of the girls. Rinse, repeat.

And of course, each OP will reflect the season, much like the animations in the VN reflected each path.
And even more interesting idea I had shortly before the final release was five different series made by different studios. 8)
gogosendai

Post by gogosendai »

If you guys mean an animation in Japan, very unlikely so far (except Doujin fanworks). I don't think the copylight is even a slightest issue, but what is more problematic in the first place is its title. You might have already known 'katawa' is a discriminative term in Japan. So, that should be changed, which will make those who like the original game very much disappointed. And more obviously, Katawa Shoujo hasn't got a lot of attention in Japan so far of course because this is only in English language. How the game will become popular in Japan depends on how the translation will go on, but that might take time.
Personaly, as a Japanese, I want to see the anime created by non-Japanese staffs like by whom this game was created.
Phase6Macha

Post by Phase6Macha »

Not denying the possibility, it's very unlikely to happen.
Unlikely as in win-the-lottery unlikely.

Some studio would have to discover this game, loving it so much they want to buy the rights and make a show out of it.
I suppose the chances would be higher for said studio to make their own story based on this so they don't have to bother with rights.

Otherwise the only possibility would be a passionate team of animators who make a fan-work out of it buuuut... again, highly unlikely just looking at the costs, required time and so on and so on.
imperial.standard

Post by imperial.standard »

Phase6Macha wrote:Not denying the possibility, it's very unlikely to happen.
Otherwise the only possibility would be a passionate team of animators who make a fan-work out of it buuuut... again, highly unlikely just looking at the costs, required time and so on and so on.
The birth of the entire project (and the surprising inclusion of animated character path title cards) may count as highly unlikely too - but it came on anyway :D

Hope is a wonderful thing.

"With words like these, we DON'T CURE patients, we make them INCURABLE"

Saint Peter Canisius, S.J., on polemical attacks against John Calvin & Melanchton
Bloozeclooze

Post by Bloozeclooze »

Being a part of creating the anime for Katawa Shoujo will be on my bucket list

no matter the cost, one day, i will help get this done.
Pl4t0

Post by Pl4t0 »

While I would love nothing more than to see more KS content (in one form or another), I just don't think that it would work.

I mean, KS has a relatively glacial pace compared to a TV show, and even to most actual novels. One of the main reasons for that is because we get Hisao's first-person perspective. The experience is related the lense of Hisao's perception, not presented to some omniscient third-person viewpoint.

By cramming KS into an entirely visual format, you lose Hisao's introspection, which was one of the things that makes KS as great as it is to me.
Carnificus

Post by Carnificus »

Pl4t0 wrote:While I would love nothing more than to see more KS content (in one form or another), I just don't think that it would work.

I mean, KS has a relatively glacial pace compared to a TV show, and even to most actual novels. One of the main reasons for that is because we get Hisao's first-person perspective. The experience is related the lense of Hisao's perception, not presented to some omniscient third-person viewpoint.

By cramming KS into an entirely visual format, you lose Hisao's introspection, which was one of the things that makes KS as great as it is to me.
I'm not sure how you would lose Hisao's perception really, considering there have been multiple other VNs over the same nature that have done very well I don't think that of all things would be an issue.
"Stories never begin nor do they end. They are comprised of people living, an endless cycle of interacting, influencing each other, and parting ways. As long as stories are told they shall not have clear endings." -Vice President Gustav St. Germain