On Hisao's Arrhythmia

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

dolphin269

On Hisao's Arrhythmia

Post by dolphin269 »

I had a heart arrhythmia. It was classified as super ventricular tachycardia. It was pretty bad.

The length of Hisao's hospital stay was extremely unrealistic. I don't think you've researched this topic much. While I try not to be offended by things I see that aren't directed at me, I find it a bit ignorant for someone to say/write something about a condition they obviously don't know much about.

Why the hell did he have a surgery, first of all? That would be pointless unless they were taking care of the nerve causing the arrhythmia and afterwards, he would be good to go home in the next day or so. Procedures for such thing are non-invasive. I know. I had one.

Also, it's unlikely that they'd want him to go to a school for physically disabled students because of such a thing. Usually, if you exercise, don't over-exert yourself (a written note would excuse him from gym classes at any regular school), eat correctly, and take your medication, there's no reason for alarm. (Unless you have what I had and it didn't matter what you did, and it just came and went at random. Then, you'd get the procedure done.)

What I'm trying to say is, there's no reason him to be in a school for people with physical disabilities. I wasn't, and everything was awesome. He wouldn't be ostracized or anything. Maybe people are more exclusive in Japan...?

Also, why the hell does he seem, like...ashamed of his condition? It doesn't make sense! You really should research these types of things before including them in your game. (Like the Umineko creator should have with Muliple Personality Disorder, but that's just the psyche major in me speaking, I guess.)
You never know someone until you fight with them and see them at their worst. Only after that should you decide if they are truly a friend or not.
MemoriesofYou

Re: On Hisao's Arrhythmia

Post by MemoriesofYou »

I have a much more minor version of Tachycardia, myself, but I had done some research into Arrythmia when I got diagnosed, and there are serious versions (since Arrythmia is just one term for a conglomerate of different heart problems) that do require surgery and constant care. These are exceedingly rare o' course tho.
体は剣で出来ている。
血潮は鉄で心は硝子。
幾たびの戦場を越えて不敗
ただの一度の敗走もなく
ただの一度の勝利もなし。
担い手はここに孤り
剣の丘で鉄を鍛つ。
ならば、わが生涯に意味は不要ず。
この体は、無限の剣で出来ていた。
dolphin269

Post by dolphin269 »

MemoriesofYou wrote:I have a much more minor version of Tachycardia, myself, but I had done some research into Arrythmia when I got diagnosed, and there are serious versions (since Arrythmia is just one term for a conglomerate of different heart problems) that do require surgery and constant care. These are exceedingly rare o' course tho.
Hmm...That probably makes more sense, but I still don't see them giving him surgery for it if they know it won't make it better. I don't see how his surgery at the beginning was needed.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about that. Mine got worse before it got better, so I hope yours can someday get better, also.
You never know someone until you fight with them and see them at their worst. Only after that should you decide if they are truly a friend or not.
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

I'm a radiographer, and while I'm not a true doctor, I've worked in a hospital and taken enough courses to know some things.

First, Arrhythmia is a symptom, not a cause. Saying "I had Arrhythmia" is like saying "I had a cough" - that doesn't actually explain the condition. There are many things that can cause a cough, and they are all treated differently. Same thing with arrhythmia - many things cause it, and these things are all treated differently. Generally, you treat the cause, not the symptom, and so assuming Hisao had the same ventricular tachycardia as you did is like assuming someone with lung cancer has bronchitis based off of the fact that they're coughing.

Arrhythmia, if chronic, sometimes requires implantation of a pacemaker or defibrillator into the chest cavity to deal with the heart's change in rhythm. While Hisao doesn't mention an implanted pacemaker, it's possible. Also, things like atrial fibrillation can often be treated with surgery. My best assumption, given the hints in the game, is that Hisao has bad enough atrial fibrillation that he required a catheter ablation to even get the rhythm under control, and then further required medicine because he even still had a problem. If it was that serious, an extended stay in the hospital may have been necessary just to get the drug dosages right, and sending him to a school with a 24/7 medical staff would probably be a good option, considering (as he says it) that he needs the drugs to even stay alive. I then posit that perhaps the decision made to send him to a school for the physically disabled may just have been made because of the medical staff on-hand, rather than Hisao not being able to function correctly.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Also, the dev team does have a medical advisor, so you can expect everything that appears in KS to be fact-checked. (Allowing for artistic license like every literary work.)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Worthington

Post by Worthington »

I'm pretty sure Hisao's actual condition isLong QT Syndrome
Got my feet in the air and my head on the ground.

Kenji=Rin>Akira>Hideaki>Hachisame>Lilly>Takashi>Miki>Emi>Nurse>Misha>Mutou>Shizune>Yuuko>Nomiya>Hanako

Worthington's Wondrous Writeshop
Magnesium Ninja Studios
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Hisao is not you. He doesn't have super ventricular tachycardia nor your mindset. He is a character in a story with condition of his own and his own personality. The word "arrhythmia" is used instead of the name of his condition (Long QT syndrome) because it's associative to more people than medical professionals.

In short: it's just a story, you should really just relax.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

Worthington wrote:I'm pretty sure Hisao's actual condition isLong QT Syndrome
Oh this makes good sense
toue

Post by toue »

At the very start of the story, doesn't he have a heart attack? I'd think that at least could necessitate surgery.
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

toue wrote: I'd think that at least could necessitate surgery.
No, not at all