Rin's Path discussion *spoilers*

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Notguest

Re: Rin's Path discussion *spoilers*

Post by Notguest »

Well depending on your previous choices, there's a chance of getting a less demanding third option. But I too was tripped up by "Then Explain".
GreenSkinBoy

Post by GreenSkinBoy »

Notguest wrote:Well depending on your previous choices, there's a chance of getting a less demanding third option. But I too was tripped up by "Then Explain".
"It doesn't matter".

If i could choose it, i'd probably think it ment "It doesn't matter if i understand (so let's just forget about it)" or smth like that. VN's should be more clear with what they actually mean tbh, or it's just me. Was the same in FSN. :-(
Oh well, the route was good. It's just a bit too complicated for me! :=(
newnar

Post by newnar »

Lunar Archivist wrote:
newnar wrote:Can someone explain to me what was actually going on in the art room before Hisao started touching her?

What was she doing exactly? How was she breaking herself?

I am really lost playing her arc.
Well, she's obviously masturbating, of course. Or at least trying to. Considering her lack of hands and any suitable makeshift masturbatory aids in the atelier, though, she's apparently having a difficult time doing so. As for breaking herself, Rin has trouble expressing her feelings with words or gestures, so she originally took up painting in an attempt to get people to understand how she felt. She hoped that, when people saw her paintings, they would be able to look into her soul, a fact that is alluded to in her intro FMV, where we see that she's painting a mirror. Unfortunately, everyone misinterpreted her actions for creative drive, so when the gallery exhibit came up, she was forced to produce artwork in a way that was unnatural to her. This literally left her emotionally drained since she kept having to recharge her emotional batteries in order to keep going. That's why she was constantly searching for new stimuli to fuel her creativity: the night out on the town with Hisao, smoking a pack of cigarattes, masturbating, etc.

Damn. This was the answer I was afraid of getting. Now Rin seems way darker than before.

So she was masturbating herself in order to "break" herself from her old ways of generating art to find new inspiration because she was forced to(emotionally) create art because Hisao believed in her but that was because Hisao thought that she liked art so he pushed her to do what he thought she likes but Hisao didn't understand all the "change" Rin was talking about, Hisao thought the change was for her to show the world what she could do but in actual fact her "change" is to fundamentally create art using a different means of getting inspiration compared to before?

God.
guest2

Post by guest2 »

newnar wrote:So she was masturbating herself in order to "break" herself from her old ways of generating art to find new inspiration because she was forced to(emotionally) create art because Hisao believed in her but that was because Hisao thought that she liked art so he pushed her to do what he thought she likes but Hisao didn't understand all the "change" Rin was talking about, Hisao thought the change was for her to show the world what she could do but in actual fact her "change" is to fundamentally create art using a different means of getting inspiration compared to before?

God.
Hisao
"Take a breath."
Katawa Shoujo Piano Sheet Music Project
"Jellyfish are like people to me" - Me
"OH GOD MAH DRILLS" - yipyapper
Kirkner

Post by Kirkner »

Holy molly, 21 pages of this is going to be a chore to read, so I'll just go right ahead with what I think. Rin was the first arc that I really had the feeling of starting it all over again, or atleast play it all over again. Fortunately, I've got some new understanding on this arc, thus enjoying the heck out of it more then going at it the first time. What's all ready posted here is what I thought about this arc, so i find little need to repeat it or re word it but I'll do it for the sake of a post. It really was emotionally frustrating throughout the whole of it. Some of you may regret Hisao's action of enthusiasm towards Rin's exhibition, but regardless what you choose before hand, Hisao WILL BE ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT IT, end of story. That CG with her face planting her lower body was made and placed there for a specific reason, and i guess that specific reason is to be simply clear that it was unavoidable, no matter what the choices given. With that out of my throat, I really enjoyed Rin's arc the most out of all the arcs that I've played (Being all of them). To be completely scarce of all the good things about the arcs throughout the game, I'd say Rin proved to be the most wettest (if that's a word) out of all the "dry" arcs. Wet being the most with content, psychologically damaging, the amount of tears shed throughout playing, and uh well in the end pretty much most satisfying, (I must profress, the first ending I got with her was the bad ending, damn why are these choices so "shotgunnish". and immediately went back the last save with the choices and selected whatever was left). I'm not at all dissing the other arcs but seeing in the begining that I'm not allowed to talk much on them, which makes sense, I'll leave it that.
Rin FTW
A Kimikiss x Katawa Shoujo comparison...
Mao - Rin... ?
Yuumi - Lily
Asuka - Emi
Eriko - Hanako
Mitsuki - Shizune
Best I could come up with strangely enough.
pauper

Post by pauper »

I just got the bad end, didn't even feel bad about it myself, no feels or whatever.

Probably because I barely understood her, since English isn't my native language, so understanding something wich is very vague as wel is quite hard for me.
Completed paths:
Hanako - Good ending
Shizune - Good ending
Emi - Good ending
Rin - Bad ending :$
Lilly - Bad and good ending

English isn't my first language, so I might make some mistakes when I write something ; )
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Lunar Archivist wrote:
newnar wrote:Can someone explain to me what was actually going on in the art room before Hisao started touching her?

What was she doing exactly? How was she breaking herself?

I am really lost playing her arc.
Well, she's obviously masturbating, of course. Or at least trying to. Considering her lack of hands and any suitable makeshift masturbatory aids in the atelier, though, she's apparently having a difficult time doing so. As for breaking herself, Rin has trouble expressing her feelings with words or gestures, so she originally took up painting in an attempt to get people to understand how she felt. She hoped that, when people saw her paintings, they would be able to look into her soul, a fact that is alluded to in her intro FMV, where we see that she's painting a mirror. Unfortunately, everyone misinterpreted her actions for creative drive, so when the gallery exhibit came up, she was forced to produce artwork in a way that was unnatural to her. This literally left her emotionally drained since she kept having to recharge her emotional batteries in order to keep going. That's why she was constantly searching for new stimuli to fuel her creativity: the night out on the town with Hisao, smoking a pack of cigarattes, masturbating, etc.
:shock:

I thought she was crying and/or having a mental breakdown, not masturbating. No wonder Hisao decided to finger bang her in that scene.
Kirkner

Post by Kirkner »

yup, how else is she going to destroy herself more other than destroying what's left down there on something..... well all that was specified in the scene was that she was simply twisting her hips... much less what she's screwing herself with. For once you might get a sense that she's completely frustrated with herself and the fact that she's with no hands.
A Kimikiss x Katawa Shoujo comparison...
Mao - Rin... ?
Yuumi - Lily
Asuka - Emi
Eriko - Hanako
Mitsuki - Shizune
Best I could come up with strangely enough.
Aerin

Post by Aerin »

Snow_Storm wrote: No wonder Hisao decided to finger bang her in that scene.
Actually, Rin asks him to. She says that she's not finished and asks if he'll help her. To which Hisao replies "This isn't really something that friends should do." There wasn't really much a decision on Hisao's part,who has already openly admitted to liking her.

It took a second read of that scene for me to really understand fully what was going on. Broke my heart both times.
I'm not sentimental
This skin and bones is a rental
And no one makes it out alive
Until I die I'll sing these songs
On the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home
In a world where I belong
Raburesu

Post by Raburesu »

The masturbation scene was where It all hit me that this girl could actually end up committing suicide, which terrified me to the point of using a flowchart to the end of getting her good end first, to see if I could "save her," even though I know I should have picked the answers I myself leant towards for my first time though... Some even speculate that the inclusion of Sae's tale of her late husband combined with what happens in the bad ending allude to that eventually happening to Rin, which I honestly don't want to believe could happen (haha, attachment to Rin talking there), but still see it as a definite possibility.

Also, I feel like I should have noticed it sooner, as I feel as though I can really understand Rin otherwise, but Hisao makes a comment in that scene about his sudden realization regarding Rin's perpetual honesty, and it was like an epiphany for me: Rin is unintentionally funny. Yeah, so I know that sounds like a "duh" comment to make, but what initially interested me in her was the hilarious way she spoke. like:

"I think I am going to go in a fetal position and throw up. Possibly in reverse order." (Didn't Emi or someone mention seeing her in a fetal position the next morning? She must have really thrown up prior, then! I should have noticed her honesty then! This happens relatively early, though, so perhaps I wasn't paying attention.)

"Do you have any drugs? Or a time machine?"

"You know, how she just talks talks talks about nothing for hours. It's like her head is made of bubblegum foam bath jelly."

"Wow, your heartbeat really does sound weird. It's like a drunken percussion orchestra."

For a girl who supposedly has a hard time putting things into words, she has the greatest string of thoughts, ever. She's not incredibly crass, she's dead serious.

Incidentally, in direct contradiction with what someone else previously decried, about Rin's tale being out of place in Katawa Shoujo because her problems had nothing to do with her disability, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself loving her story specifically because they didn't; managing to more or less completely disassociate herself with her physical problems allowed Hisao to eventually forget about his own until they are verbally brought up.

What I am wondering is, at some point, I recall Hisao making a comment about possibly not living past 30 due to his condition. Now I don't know anything about his heart condition, but, assuming we're going from the good ending, what do you think would happen to Rin if Hisao died around a decade after they were finally able to make a connection? Suicide after all? ;_;
"So artists can't find romance, their favorite TV shows are canceled, or they die young because of an unspecified disease. It's a deep and mysterious law of the universe." - Rin
Ryto

Post by Ryto »

Raburesu wrote:What I am wondering is, at some point, I recall Hisao making a comment about possibly not living past 30 due to his condition. Now I don't know anything about his heart condition, but, assuming we're going from the good ending, what do you think would happen to Rin if Hisao died around a decade after they were finally able to make a connection? Suicide after all? ;_;
I think I'll reference post of my own from a few pages back, just for people who missed it.
Ryto wrote:Okay guys, I had to post this....reading this just about broke my heart....T-T

It's sad, but a kinda good sad...

Edit: Had to unquote the image so you could see it well enough.
100% Complete.
So here's my ranking:
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>=Emi>Shizune
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Ryto wrote:
. . . OH, THAT'S A LOW BLOW! FUCK YOU DAVAN MACINTYRE!

*turns and runs*
Raburesu

Post by Raburesu »

Ryto wrote:
So... what exactly... is this? I don't quite understand. Like Rin. Is it, like, a letter Rin would write to a bedridden Hisao in the hospital or something? Or is he supposed to have already passed? The flowers work either way. I apologize if my total inability to grasp what this could be right away is eye roll-inducing. Or maybe that isn't the proper reaction... Perhaps you'll get a headache, instead. That would certainly be unfortunate...

Incidentally, and I know this comes completely out of left field, I found the innudendo in these two scenes all too overt:

Very amusing, indeed. At least, I think so.

I suppose someone will bring up the lack of a footjob, now.
"So artists can't find romance, their favorite TV shows are canceled, or they die young because of an unspecified disease. It's a deep and mysterious law of the universe." - Rin
Ryto

Post by Ryto »

Raburesu wrote:So... what exactly... is this? I don't quite understand. Like Rin. Is it, like, a letter Rin would write to a bedridden Hisao in the hospital or something? Or is he supposed to have already passed? The flowers work either way. I apologize if my total inability to grasp what this could be right away is eye roll-inducing. Or maybe that isn't the proper reaction... Perhaps you'll get a headache, instead. That would certainly be unfortunate...
Pretty much you're supposed to assume she's actually talking to him in person (that's what I got at least), but then you get what's actually going on by the time she gets to the flowers. She's actually visiting his grave, and it's really sad.

Although you did bring up a point I'd never thought of. There is the possibility he's just in the hospital and unable to respond to her, but I think the idea of him actually being dead is more likely because of his condition.
100% Complete.
So here's my ranking:
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>=Emi>Shizune
Raburesu

Post by Raburesu »

Mostly as I suspected. At least she's actually still alive. Then again, this isn't even canon... And Rin is so capricious that she could be alive today and dead tommorow...

What's nice about this though, is that she seems to be at least trying to stay happy. Or maybe she's only doing that because she knows Hisao would want her to. Oh god. Not the exhibition all over again, please. Then again, if the only thing keeping her alive are expectations, it's sad either way.