Rin's Path discussion *spoilers*

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Anonymouse

Re: Rin's Path discussion *spoilers*

Post by Anonymouse »

ultrarare wrote:I think... you have to choose, "what about me?" on the hilltop chapter.
I tried, no luck though. I think you have to combine two or three choices but I can't figure out which.
ardiel

Post by ardiel »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
I've also heard rumors of a secret path for Rin, I take this with a grain of salt, but I'm still curious.
There once was a false rumour about a secret second Rin ending in the Act 1 demo. I guess that is what you're talking about.
Rin's path has three endings. one good and two bad ones.

@ultrarare:
I think was Fronzel was getting at is that the "Then explain" option leads to a bad end, even though you get the exact same dialogue in Act IV anyway and this time it doesn't (necessarily) lead to a bad end.
Personally, I thought the dialogue following the "Then explain" option was "better" than the stuff you see if you choose "correctly". Yes, they get angry at each other, but Hisao finally tried to make Rin understand how he felt, and I thought that was at least a bit of progress for their relationship. I was a bit surprised to see the bad end shortly afterwards.
I can see the fact that if you don't pick wrong it goes down in Hisao's room rather than the atelier which is Rin's space at the time making a big difference even though it's the same dialogue.

And honestly, Rin hardly explains anything, and I think expecting that to change would either be asking for a miracle or pretty much saying that she's doing it all on purpose and demanding that she stop - but if that were the case then I'd say Hisao is being masochistic by even trying to get her to explain by this point under the assumed pretenses that she somehow could and just isn't.
ultrarare

Post by ultrarare »

mobobby wrote:My first post on this board and it unfortunately has to be me being... sort of angry at the game. I have been up since around 3 am in the morning when I started playing (I started with Emi's path, which was awesome btw). My second path was Rin's and at first I really liked her. Her carefree attitude, her being an artist, and the 404 page on the main website all made me really like her but as I continued down her path I got more and more depressed, wondering when this would turn around and she would start actually liking the main character romantically drug induced kiss not included . As it went on I eventually turned on the whole idea of the couple, praying I got a bad ending just so I could go on but that never came. Hisao at one point yells at her, clearly indicating to me that that should be where I would get a bad ending, how it isn't I have no clue. By the end I was wondering how these two even came to like each other as friends, much less lovers. The ending left me baffled at how I had gotten there given what I had gone through.
That all being said, I love the game and am still playing it right now. I'm currently going through Lilly's path right now (also awesome) and I'll probably finish the game tonight.
I've been playing for 14 hours straight btw.
Rin's path is the most complicated of all the path's. If you don't get everything the first time around, try re-reading it.

Post by Guest »

I played Rin's after Emi's and I certainly wasn't ready for all that emotion. Funnily enough, at first she felt very robotic and I didn't feel like completing it.

I would love for someone to clarify the masturbation scene, though. I feel like I'm missing the point of it. I understand that Rin was prepared to destroy herself for her art but I'm sure it goes beyond that, especially when Hisao interacts with her.

I found the ending rather bittersweet as well and I'm not sure why. I think it's because it's less definite than the other routes. However I believe that we see Hisao and Rin break down the walls between their worlds just slightly and I hope that the implication is that it'll improve over time.
It really killed me though that Hisao didn't say that he loved her back, despite all the inner-monologue text to that effect. Was the point a role-reversal? Rin was able to say it to Hisao while he eventually responded with a kiss?

What do other people think about the ending?
Guest2

Post by Guest2 »

Although I don't think aura intended Rin to have a mental disorder.
Going to have to disagree wholeheartedly with this.

Writers write what they know. In my past I've pursued a girl with Aspergers, and Hisao's experience with Rin matched up perfectly with how I felt on more than one occasion. I'd be willing to bet a pint that Aura's inspiration comes from someone on the autistic spectrum. The similarities are overwhelming; she's not just weird artistic girl, Rin's very nature is so autistic that it's likely not mere coincidence.
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

So far, I've gotten 2 endings:
1. End at Act 3
2. The Good End (with the dandelions)

I appear to be missing 3 scenes. Does anyone know how to get the other endings? Someone said something about a breakup in the rain.
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

pyretimeth wrote:
GuyInTheWindmill wrote:Just completed Rin's path, all endings, but I'm still missing one scene and I don't know how to get to it.

It's between "Things You Can't Give Up" and "Rose Tinted Glasses"

Anyone know how to get to that scene?
The decision chain, starting from Act 2, which got me to the scene you're describing is:

You're amazing -> It makes me feel like I'm stuck -> I want to be more like Emi -> You'd be wasting your talents otherwise -> What about Emi?

The scene is called "BADAAN!"
Anonymouse wrote:
ultrarare wrote:I think... you have to choose, "what about me?" on the hilltop chapter.
I tried, no luck though. I think you have to combine two or three choices but I can't figure out which.
The chain of choices I used was
I wish I were as good as you-> It makes me feel like I'm stuck -> I want to be more like Emi -> You should aim high-> What about me?

Since there are only two matches with pyretimeth, it appears that the required choices are either It makes me feel like I'm stuck, I want to be more like Emi, or both.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Guest wrote: ...I found the ending rather bittersweet as well and I'm not sure why.
... It really killed me though that Hisao didn't say that he loved her back, despite all the inner-monologue text to that effect. Was the point a role-reversal? Rin was able to say it to Hisao while he eventually responded with a kiss?
I think you're exactly right: Rin is NOT a "word person" but is experiential, while Hisao is pretty much the opposite; at the end Rin deliberately uses words to express her love for Hisao and Hisao deliberately DOESN'T use words but instead demonstrates his love for Rin by kissing her.

Saying "I love you" back to Rin would actually be the wrong way to respond. Hisao needs to be told; Rin needs to experience. They each were able to come up with what the other one needed, instead of responding in the way that each of them would want for themselves.

Thanks tons for posting this, I didn't realize the above myself until I replied.
ultrarare

Post by ultrarare »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:
Guest wrote: ...I found the ending rather bittersweet as well and I'm not sure why.
... It really killed me though that Hisao didn't say that he loved her back, despite all the inner-monologue text to that effect. Was the point a role-reversal? Rin was able to say it to Hisao while he eventually responded with a kiss?
I think you're exactly right: Rin is NOT a "word person" but is experiential, while Hisao is pretty much the opposite; at the end Rin deliberately uses words to express her love for Hisao and Hisao deliberately DOESN'T use words but instead demonstrates his love for Rin by kissing her.

Saying "I love you" back to Rin would actually be the wrong way to respond. Hisao needs to be told; Rin needs to experience. They each were able to come up with what the other one needed, instead of responding in the way that each of them would want for themselves.

Thanks tons for posting this, I didn't realize the above myself until I replied.
Oh wow, I never realized that. Thanks! That really makes a lot of sense. Especially with the fact that Rin has demonstrated multiple times that the word "love" and being "more than friends" doesn't mean much to her. And how the word love "tasted funny".
Krikt

Post by Krikt »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:

I'm the guest you quoted and I'm glad someone else agrees with my understanding of it. In fact, it's comforting just discussing it. :P
For some reason Rin's story (and particularly the ending) just stuck with me.
ultrarare wrote:Oh wow, I never realized that. Thanks! That really makes a lot of sense. Especially with the fact that Rin has demonstrated multiple times that the word "love" and being "more than friends" doesn't mean much to her. And how the word love "tasted funny".
I'd like to think that not understanding the divide between friend and girlfriend/boyfriend was just due to never having either. Doesn't she say that she doesn't really consider Emi a friend? In fact, this makes Emi's story during Rin's route feel quite tragic. Anyway, I think the scene where Rin comes from the rain is perhaps where she understands, at the very latest.
ultrarare

Post by ultrarare »

Krikt wrote:
Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:

I'm the guest you quoted and I'm glad someone else agrees with my understanding of it. In fact, it's comforting just discussing it. :P
For some reason Rin's story (and particularly the ending) just stuck with me.
ultrarare wrote:Oh wow, I never realized that. Thanks! That really makes a lot of sense. Especially with the fact that Rin has demonstrated multiple times that the word "love" and being "more than friends" doesn't mean much to her. And how the word love "tasted funny".
I'd like to think that not understanding the divide between friend and girlfriend/boyfriend was just due to never having either. Doesn't she say that she doesn't really consider Emi a friend? In fact, this makes Emi's story during Rin's route feel quite tragic. Anyway, I think the scene where Rin comes from the rain is perhaps where she understands, at the very latest.

What makes the fight between Hisao and Rin so tragic is that neither one of them can understand each other. Rin asks Hisao to comfort her and that she "needs him", however he interprets that she just is using him as some sort of artistic muse.
Krikt

Post by Krikt »

ultrarare wrote:What makes the fight between Hisao and Rin so tragic is that neither one of them can understand each other. Rin asks Hisao to comfort her and that she "needs him", however he interprets that she just is using him as some sort of artistic muse.
Unless I'm not remembering it properly, that's how it came across to me at that point. I'm pretty sure she talks about needing to paint when he stops her, confirming it.
Previously, she was able to paint again following Hisao's interaction with her when she felt like she needed to destroy herself. That leads her to feel like she relies on him as her muse to get through this point. She's desperate to continue painting so she tries to get inspiration again from Hisao.
The argument leads to him not seeing her until the gallery when she breaks down because she is being bombarded with questions. Then Hisao "saves" her and tells her that perhaps he is that one person that understands her (even a little). So obviously her attempt to let people understand her through producing all these works fails but then, in the scene following the rain they finally connect, confirming what Hisao has told her.

So yeah, I think he was right in that scene. Maybe Rin thought it was some sort of shortcut but one that she doesn't need by the end.
lhfan04

Post by lhfan04 »

I just got done with Rin's story, I got the "neutral ending", I got the ending where they are walking in the rain and she tells him about getting a scholarship to University of Tokyo. I will be perfectly honest, this path did not sit really well with me. I knew very early on that if they were going to make Rin try and do all of these drawings and stuff that it was not going to work out. I already knew that Rin would not like it that much, I always look at Rin as a free spirit more than anything, she felt like one of those people that would love to draw for a while but that wasn't the only thing she liked. I felt really bad for Rin because I could tell that deep down she didn't want to all this painting at all, it felt like she was just doing the paintings to keep the art teacher happy. I know my words aren't exactly great telling how I feel, this one just leaves you really conflicted, I just thought the whole time that Rin should have never agreed to making more art and all that, I see Rin as more than just a artist, which the art teacher couldn't get.

I feel bad Hisao as well, it really did hurt seeing him try so hard to go after Rin, when after you keep reading through this story it becomes more and more apparent that he should not have tried to go after her at all, I think Hisao and Rin work best together as friends, it just does not seem right for them to be a couple.
megamanrulesall

Post by megamanrulesall »

Instead of retyping my perhaps overly longwinded reply about the game and how I pretty much played it when it came out and barely got any sleep and saved Rin's ending for last due to thinking it would be the most interesting and etc, I would kindly ask that you guys check out my replies I made in the "Why I can't play this "Game" anymore" thread. Those should answer your question.

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4886&start=15

about midway down. Hope that this is okay, but my brain is already feeling cloudy or foggy or something from this thing which could be a form of dumping all of ones mental....damn, can't think of what it is I am trying to say. Basically like a brain dump or something? I don't really know. Just give em a read I guess and tell me your thoughts. Also, kinda gave my life story in the first of my points in the hopes it allows others to better understand how my mind works, if that is even possible as sometimes I don't even know how or why it does things it does.

Someone on the forums even Pmed me saying that I reminded him of Rin. Maybe that is a good thing? Who can say? I have no idea myself. It at least sounded nice. Well, take care everyone. Enjoy the game and if possible, try the other path;s if you haven't and if you feel up to it. One thing I will say..... PACE YOURSELF. Don't do what I did and not get much sleep from playing the game from 7am on Jan 4th to pretty much Jan 6 around 130pm with a small bit of sleep inbetween all of that. It is not a good feeling with the whole, non sleep for so long thing.
Last edited by megamanrulesall on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krikt

Post by Krikt »

lhfan04 wrote:I just got done with Rin's story, I got the "neutral ending", I got the ending where they are walking in the rain and she tells him about getting a scholarship to University of Tokyo. I will be perfectly honest, this path did not sit really well with me.
You really should replay it for the good ending because it covers a lot of your concerns. The fact that you made those observations will make you appreciate it all the more.
The good path really does have Hisao contemplate the feelings that they share.

I understand how you feel it became more apparent that he should not have gone after her. It is quite frustrating, especially if you go on the path towards the neutral ending. However, the scenes leading up to the good ending addresses that problem for me. The message seems to be that although they'll never understand each other completely, life is subjective and no two people will ever be able to do that. That brings some sort of peace to Rin.