Rin's Path discussion *spoilers*

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Cloud

Re: Rin's Path discussion *spoilers*

Post by Cloud »

I did Rin's path first as well, whereas it was depressing at points, the ending was nice, and I'd rather not go back through my saves and go for the bad end.

I chose this route first because I found her demeanor interesting.
Yubi Shines

Post by Yubi Shines »

I... think I had the good ending. I'm just going to wallow in emotional conflict and confusion for a while until I figure out what on earth was going on.

A lot of what Rin says reminds me how people with autism describe themselves (feeling like an alien that can't "get" people or say the right thing), and other things sound like depression (the underwater analogy, going so far inward you can't get back out). I'm glad I'm not the only one who was terrified this was going to end in suicide, especially after the teacher and art director mention the artist who killed himself.

I really don't understand what was expected of Hisao in this path. Maybe the point was to stop questioning why or what the status of their relationship is or what he wants or she wants or bluh, but to just take life as it is.
fanty

Post by fanty »

The narration was meandering at times, and generally saying things with more words than needed. The story was heavy too, I managed to play through Hanako in the meantime to give myself a breather. Though, I suppose, I kinda enjoyed it, else I wouldn't have finished it.
ultrarare

Post by ultrarare »

I really like Rin and her path (was the first path I took), but it feels a bit...hollow? I mean for the rest of the characters there is a cut-and-dry relationship between them, "I love you's" and whatnot. However that never truly happens with Rin. The ending is very touching, but is their a true relationship there?

Kind feels like Hisao was left hanging.
Hamadyne

Post by Hamadyne »

ultrarare wrote:I really like Rin and her path (was the first path I took), but it feels a bit...hollow? I mean for the rest of the characters there is a cut-and-dry relationship between them, "I love you's" and whatnot. However that never truly happens with Rin. The ending is very touching, but is their a true relationship there?

Kind feels like Hisao was left hanging.
It's an odd sort of relationship, I think. Both of them (at least Hisao does, anyway) are aware that their relationship is not a standard one. Rin is aware of Hisao's feelings for her, and I think, at the end, she is attempting to reciprocate those feelings. She doesn't feel like saying 'I love you,' as she finds the words awkward. I think the last line of the story says it all, though:

"What's the word for when you feel inside your heart as if everything in the world is all right?"

She knows that her feelings right now are a good thing, and that Hisao helped bring them to the surface.

Post by Guest »

DatCracker wrote:The scene in which they sit and smoke with each other was so wonderfully executed. It revealed a lot about both Rin and Hisao.
This.
I don't know about anyone else, but this one just made me breakdown and cry. Every time I came back to it, I had to stop and take it in again. The situation combined with the brilliant birdseye camera swivel thing and the music and their expressions is just beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I don't think it could have possibly been executed better.

I think it a lot of it has to do with how it hit VERY close to home for me...how familiar that sort of bonding was for me, which I used to (and still do) a lot.
Wrds

Post by Wrds »

Guest wrote:
DatCracker wrote:The scene in which they sit and smoke with each other was so wonderfully executed. It revealed a lot about both Rin and Hisao.
This.
I don't know about anyone else, but this one just made me breakdown and cry. Every time I came back to it, I had to stop and take it in again. The situation combined with the brilliant birdseye camera swivel thing and the music and their expressions is just beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I don't think it could have possibly been executed better.

I think it a lot of it has to do with how it hit VERY close to home for me...how familiar that sort of bonding was for me, which I used to (and still do) a lot.
I think its interesting that in one way or another we've all seen bits of ourselves reflected in Rin or Hisao during this story. The smoking scene was well executed. I've always found the idea of just laying on the floor with someone, absorbing everything and melting away so to speak to be very compelling and a little romantic. Its something I started doing alone when I was a kid; sometimes I day dream or have philosophical and moral arguments with myself, and other times I'll just lay there not really thinking much of anything.

I think the fact that this hit so close to home for so many of us is a testament to how sincerely the characters were portrayed. They never betrayed their own characters, they had real honest conflict that didn't manage to descend into melodrama. One mark of a great writer is the ability to make the audience see themselves in a character the same way one might compare themselves to a real person they're getting to know and empathize with.

I'm sort of rambling and may have lost my original point but I think I'm just trying to emphasize how much love and care went into crafting this story, its nothing short amazing. It's profoundly mind boggling that this is the result of an after thought in the back of a doujin made more than a decade ago.
pyretimeth

Post by pyretimeth »

GuyInTheWindmill wrote:Just completed Rin's path, all endings, but I'm still missing one scene and I don't know how to get to it.

It's between "Things You Can't Give Up" and "Rose Tinted Glasses"

Anyone know how to get to that scene?
The decision chain, starting from Act 2, which got me to the scene you're describing is:

You're amazing -> It makes me feel like I'm stuck -> I want to be more like Emi -> You'd be wasting your talents otherwise -> What about Emi?

The scene is called "BADAAN!"
ubergeneral

Post by ubergeneral »

i just finished the path

All I can say is just wow. The whole ending was amazing. Rin turned out much different than I expected her. As other said I don't think hisao will ever truly understand her. I don't think Rin ever understands, yet in the end I felt that the ending and writing was just perfect for how it should have been.
Ashai

Post by Ashai »

I just registered for the express purpose of posting in this thread.
My first run I ended up with Emi, though I wanted to shoot for Rin. I succeeded on the second run, and holy freaking crap. Thank you for making this game. I can't wait to play the rest of the routes, and my free time for the next week is completely gone. :) Just wanted to echo all of the positive things people are saying about this game, and this specific route. Loved it!
ChaoticGrowth

Post by ChaoticGrowth »

First of all, Rin's path was really touching. Rin was, and actually still is, only my 4th favorite girl (though I don't dislike any of them), but her story was simply beautiful.

But secondly, (and actually the larger reason that I decided to post in this topic,) I'm missing the scene "Rose Tinted Glasses." Can anyone tell me how to get to it?
MrSabotage

Post by MrSabotage »

I finally finished her path, and i have to say, i think it was one of the most engrossing stories i've ever read. That combined with the music and the pictures made for an amazing experience.

I can only hope the rest of the stories are as touching and interesting, though i may have to let my body recover from excitement of reading such a great story.
whiteflags

Post by whiteflags »

I deliberately will avoid reading most of this thread to avoid spoilers but Rin's route is annoying particularly because I don't remember any decisions that clearly involved her route in Act 1. So few her flags involved her scenes. But I will keep trying.
X is scientifically proven to Y.
MrSabotage

Post by MrSabotage »

whiteflags wrote:I deliberately will avoid reading most of this thread to avoid spoilers but Rin's route is annoying particularly because I don't remember any decisions that clearly involved her route in Act 1. So few her flags involved her scenes. But I will keep trying.
Unless im mistaken, only one decision truly involved her in act one, whereas all other decisions leading to her would be more accurately described as avoiding the other girls (or something to that effect).

edit: this is excluding decisions like the one after going to the store with lilly, which would be a choice for whichever path you are inevitably headed to already, i believe.
Watered-Down

Post by Watered-Down »

As much as that was a perfect ending...

Why did it have to end there! Everything was so bittersweet, and then we get that one moment of true happiness- finally! And then nothing. It fits, Rin was too complicated for a cut and dry ending but I wish so bad that I could spend some more time with her after the fact. Sigh. I guess Ill just have to find REAL love then. Damn.