Discussion - Emi Route (*Spoilers* Warning)

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ardiel

Re: Discussion - Emi Route (*Spoilers* Warning)

Post by ardiel »

Very touching path but I agree, Hisao was an idiot. :x Wanted to kick him some times. How could he not know from near the beginning? Or at least how could he not have some kind of sneaking suspicion.

TBH it was hard to play it that way, with me figuring it out years before his script did. It was still good in spite of that.
Palas

Post by Palas »

Just gone through Hanako's path. Emi's still my favourite and will probably remain so, since I don't really like the other girls even if I'm really growing fond of Lilly more and more.
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

Palas wrote:Just gone through Hanako's path. Emi's still my favourite and will probably remain so, since I don't really like the other girls even if I'm really growing fond of Lilly more and more.
I dunno. Characters can really grow on you. I just ended up on Rin's path by a whim, saying "I may as well get this over with after I just did Emi's"
I was totally wrong. I thought Rin's path was the best. Don't count yourself out just yet.
Palas

Post by Palas »

Yuno wrote:
Palas wrote:Just gone through Hanako's path. Emi's still my favourite and will probably remain so, since I don't really like the other girls even if I'm really growing fond of Lilly more and more.
I dunno. Characters can really grow on you. I just ended up on Rin's path by a whim, saying "I may as well get this over with after I just did Emi's"
I was totally wrong. I thought Rin's path was the best. Don't count yourself out just yet.
The problem is that I already feel emotionally attached to Emi's route. Any point I make from now on "the best-written path" or whatever will be highly biased due to the fact that Emi's was my first one and, hell, it gave me tears strolling down my cheeks. And, yes, I keep repeating that because I find it really amusing.
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.
Rivinhal

Post by Rivinhal »

Palas wrote:
Yuno wrote:
The problem is that I already feel emotionally attached to Emi's route. Any point I make from now on "the best-written path" or whatever will be highly biased due to the fact that Emi's was my first one and, hell, it gave me tears strolling down my cheeks. And, yes, I keep repeating that because I find it really amusing.
Whilst I felt the same way you did (Emi as my first path, and possibly my favorite, though i'm not deciding just yet..) I did Hanako's path right after, and felt those same feelings.. I have a sneaking suspicion that all of the paths do this to you, albeit in different ways..
contown

Post by contown »

Emi was by far my favorite for Act 1, and after playing through her whole route, she's still by far my favorite. Not only was her route emotional in nearly every way, what I liked the most is how Emi was initially "that loli girl that's all cute and cuddly." But she broke that mold almost entirely. She was the most vulgar of all the girls, had a surprisingly awesome sense of humor, and was... Easy. If you know what I mean. And when she told you to GTFO out her house? Was not expecting that, It was a nice, albeit depressing, suprise.She was awesome. And her route also made me laugh my ass off more than once. Namely, "I could be a pirate. I already have the legs for it." *Rin bursts into the room.* "I need to use your window." And maybe it was me, but their dialogue after their little experimentation in the track shed was hilarious. How both of them were practically limping and saying "there's no way in hell we're doing that again."

Case in point, Emi was surprisingly great, had a lot more to her than what initially met the eye, the graveyard scene almost made me shed mantears, and oh my god that CG where she's sitting on her bed with her hair down after she just woke up from her nap.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Yuno wrote:There's a definite act of conflicting writing going on, which makes me think two very different people wrote the scenes for her. This is pure speculation, but
Writer 1 vouched for the very innocent, cute, and broken parts of her.
Writer 2 vouched for the playfully lustful and nymphet-like side of her, and Writer 1 tried to backpedal the story out of it.
I'll kill this bit of speculation off for anyone interested: Emi's path has been near-completely written by Hivemind. The only parts not flowing out of his pen are the two demi-scenes concerning Iwanako's letter and a few extra lines here and there, which were written by me much later after consulting with him. Obviously none of that has anything to do with Emi's character.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

AndR

Post by AndR »

Emi felt quite natural for me. She had her own way of coping, and nothing stroke me as out of character.
Sickhawk

Post by Sickhawk »

Silentcook wrote:
Yuno wrote:There's a definite act of conflicting writing going on, which makes me think two very different people wrote the scenes for her. This is pure speculation, but
Writer 2 vouched for the playfully lustful and nymphet-like side of her, and Writer 1 tried to backpedal the story out of it.
I'll kill this bit of speculation off for anyone interested: Emi's path has been near-completely written by Hivemind. The only parts not flowing out of his pen are the two demi-scenes concerning Iwanako's letter and a few extra lines here and there, which were written by me much later after consulting with him. Obviously none of that has anything to do with Emi's character.
The qualities described there hardly seem contradictory or even exclusive. I didn't particularly notice a conflict of character, for what it's worth.

As for the story - I really enjoyed it. Apart from a few bits of slightly awkward dialogue (-> Critical act of reconciliation on the track, after the strong fight) it was tight (some other guy mentioned cutting the fat) and entertaining.
Between her change in artstyle from demo and the great story Emi has pretty much gone from being my least favourite to one of my favourite ladies (so far). "Am I poplar yet? tier" into "Oh god be my girlfriendu forever tier".

10/10 A+++ Fucking top notch KS devs, would radically alter my opinion on her again and again and again.
corinthian

Post by corinthian »

I had intended on doing Emi's path last, but ended up on it by accident and decided to keep going. Best decision I've ever made. I literally just finished it, and holy crap that was good. Funny, tragic, realistic, epic. Definitely the overall favorite of the ones I've done so far (also finished Hanako and Shizune)
Hivemind

Post by Hivemind »

Silentcook wrote:
I'll be honest--if there's any difference in tone, it's solely because while developing the path, there were several different versions that got tried and discarded--and some of them had a more sexually active Emi, while others gave center stage to the broken bits. In the end we (me and the devs) didn't really care for any of them, so we combined them into what (I hoped) was a more well-rounded character. Unfortunately there were still some tonal issues that Cook and the other editors valiantly tried to smooth out, but at some point even they had to call it a done deal.

And Emi has a foul mouth because I swear all the time--and I'm pretty sure that we trimmed down the swearing. Emi swore like a fucking pirate in some drafts.

This concludes your 'writer nattering on about his path' portion of the thread. Carry on.
Bulldozer

Post by Bulldozer »

Dat shed
FFIXMaster

Post by FFIXMaster »

Hivemind wrote:I'll be honest--if there's any difference in tone, it's solely because while developing the path, there were several different versions that got tried and discarded--and some of them had a more sexually active Emi, while others gave center stage to the broken bits. In the end we (me and the devs) didn't really care for any of them, so we combined them into what (I hoped) was a more well-rounded character. Unfortunately there were still some tonal issues that Cook and the other editors valiantly tried to smooth out, but at some point even they had to call it a done deal.

And Emi has a foul mouth because I swear all the time--and I'm pretty sure that we trimmed down the swearing. Emi swore like a fucking pirate in some drafts.

This concludes your 'writer nattering on about his path' portion of the thread. Carry on.
As gut-wrenching and slutty I thought Emi felt, I still thought the story was pretty great and that everything she did felt justified in the end, so don't feel too bad about the tone 'not matching up' or whatever.

My issues with her being 'slutty' probably say more about me and my past relationships than anything else. I will totally admit that.
Levy

Post by Levy »

Seems I never really get what I want. I originally started a new play through, attempting to go Rin my second play and instead tried racing Emi, triggering her Act 2. Not that I was disappointed or anything. Her story left me asking fewer questions than Shizune's story, that's for sure.

My only regret is that we never got to see this little event play out: http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post ... id=1037651

Seems like it could have easily replaced the leg getting sore bit, though I guess that part was necessary to cater to her "don't need help" attitude. I'll be honest, though, if one of her prosthetics had broken then would she have insisted on crawling to the dorm for her walking prosthetics or would she have let Hisao carry her, or in the very least lean on him while she hops on the other prosthetic? Her personality is still a mystery for me.

Third play through and it seems my subconsious is begging for Hanako... Yup, just hit act 2.
My little record, apparently. :)
Palas

Post by Palas »

Hisao states that she's surprisingly heavy somewhere along the way, so they would have to change it. You know, Hisao wouldn't make it to the nursery.