The Hanako Thread - Spoilers, obviously

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nyarly

Re: The Hanako Thread - Spoilers, obviously

Post by Nyarly »

That may be, but you can't always expect common sensibility and humans have the tendency to behave irrational rather often. Also, very introverted people can be very hard to deal with and I can imagine that one is often at loss with what to do with them. I think. Well, the people who deal with me (in real life), could probably tell...

Yeah, I finished Hanako's neutral and bad end today. Again, her behavior in both endings reminded me myself. Maybe I should be glad that her route ends rather soon (in comparison with the other girls), otherwise it would have become a detailed list of my flaws that are caused by my introvertedness. Really, I've seen quite many shy characters in fiction (I tend to like that kind) but none of them felt so much like looking into a mirror sometimes.
colfirefly

Post by colfirefly »

Heh, I picked Hanako from the outset. I saw the classroom landscape and just thought "I want that one".

Problem is, I walked right into the bad ending from the get-go. I played it how I would approach the situations myself. Doesn't say much for my social aptitude when I can't manage the right response from 2 options. I sat on the city visit question for an eternity before playing it safe. :(

After I got the bad ending, that depressed me quite a bit. I understood that she wanted to be treated like an equal from the bad ending, but I didn't understand where we were supposed to get that from the story.

I eventually saw the other 2 endings just by trial and error. I don't think that will make up for getting to the bad ending naturally. :cry:

Nevertheless, great writing by this team. Highly enjoyable, looking forward to Shizune and Ren.
Valtameri

Post by Valtameri »

gecko wrote:
Valtameri wrote:This is my problem aswell, i'd like to try Lilly path. But just can't, i wont cheat Hanako...!
If it can help, know in advance that Hanako fares very well in Lily's path (even better than in her own, socially)
As far as i understand, that is because Lilly's route is longer in timeline than Hanako's, that's why we see her getting more better. I suspect that she would do the same if her own route would go that far.
I may be wrong...
It sits in silence
Eats away at me
It feeds like cancer
Bringerof_D

Post by Bringerof_D »

finally got the time and finished my first play through on Hanako's route.

my only complaint has to be the sex scene. the writing, dialogue, etc. was great up till and after that scene, however that single scene was awkwardly written and to be perfectly honest progressed ver unnaturally. simply put it was, *Hanako's tells of her past* "it time for sex nao." it feels almost as if the entire sequence where she is telling her story and Hisao examining the scars was irrelevant. The most disturbing thing would have to be Hisao's smile when Hanako sites in front of him. it was both out of place and simply creepy.

otherwise it was a very good story. the only thing off putting was how many times the term off putting was used.

ps: Hanako's pose over the pool table is oddly very arousing. i'd be willing to say that is her most attractive cg.
~Hello there Kenji, I'm a psychic spy. But dont worry, I know what you're thinking. It wont hurt at all...~
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

The sex scene was intentionally awkward and unnatural. Even Hisao acknowledges as such and that's why the scene in the park took place at all.
Bringerof_D

Post by Bringerof_D »

Guest Poster wrote:The sex scene was intentionally awkward and unnatural. Even Hisao acknowledges as such and that's why the scene in the park took place at all.
no i understood that it wasn't supposed to be natural however the progression simply didnt work. it almost very literally was what i said in my last post. Hanako tells her story and Hisao goes, "time for sex?"

there was no real connection between the end of hanako's tale to them getting it on. she finishes talking and he unzips his pants. the scene would have been much improved if they simply threw a few lines saying, "they held each other in their arms then sank towards the bed." or something. there simply was no emotional connect from end of story to pants down. It's almost as if hisao was on a schedule and it was time to do it.
~Hello there Kenji, I'm a psychic spy. But dont worry, I know what you're thinking. It wont hurt at all...~
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

But there's a totally valid reason for going from a heartbreaking retelling of Hanako's past straight to fucking.
curves

Also on an unrelated note, I just realized something that's been nagging at me ever since I wrote the OP for this thread. Under the part where I mention things that seem to have been haphazardly omitted, I forgot to mention the role of Hanako's father. On the full website, it only mentions that her dad died in the fire, and there's artwork and writing by crud that suggests that he may have been important to the story at one point, but the only parent I can remember being mentioned ingame was her mother, during the aforementioned scar unveiling scene.

Writing that got me thinking, maybe part of the reason Hanako isn't really down with the white-knighting thing is because it reminds her of what her mother did. She doesn't like it when others try to place themselves between her and her problems like a shield, since she feels that she doesn't deserve it and she hates the fact that others have to take the fall for her sake. Obviously, there's a discrepancy between fire and social anxiety, since her mother is the only reason she survived, and white-knighting won't actually help her conquer her fears, only stave them off. You gotta remember that this whole PTSD/survivor's guilt thing is a very big part of her, and her ways of thinking.
Last edited by Brogurt on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sephiru

Post by Sephiru »

Bringerof_D wrote:no i understood that it wasn't supposed to be natural however the progression simply didnt work. it almost very literally was what i said in my last post. Hanako tells her story and Hisao goes, "time for sex?"

there was no real connection between the end of hanako's tale to them getting it on. she finishes talking and he unzips his pants. the scene would have been much improved if they simply threw a few lines saying, "they held each other in their arms then sank towards the bed." or something. there simply was no emotional connect from end of story to pants down. It's almost as if hisao was on a schedule and it was time to do it.
...this.
TheKingOfFacade

Post by TheKingOfFacade »

colfirefly wrote:Heh, I picked Hanako from the outset. I saw the classroom landscape and just thought "I want that one".

Problem is, I walked right into the bad ending from the get-go. I played it how I would approach the situations myself. Doesn't say much for my social aptitude when I can't manage the right response from 2 options. I sat on the city visit question for an eternity before playing it safe. :(

After I got the bad ending, that depressed me quite a bit. I understood that she wanted to be treated like an equal from the bad ending, but I didn't understand where we were supposed to get that from the story.

I eventually saw the other 2 endings just by trial and error. I don't think that will make up for getting to the bad ending naturally. :cry:

Nevertheless, great writing by this team. Highly enjoyable, looking forward to Shizune and Ren.

The thing is with Hanako's bad end is that I don't think anyone would act as persistently as Hisao did. Maybe even the fact that you tried to comfort her but respect her wishes to be alone could have heralded a better end than the Neutral End.

The point I'm trying to make is:

"Hanako, let's go to town"
"No thank you"
"Come on Hanako, it will be fun"
"I'm fine"
"Come on"
"No"
"It will be fun"
"No"
"But you like going into town"
"I'm fine..."

Rinse and repeat two or three times.

That obviously isn't the best way to handle things.
Last edited by TheKingOfFacade on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nyarly

Post by Nyarly »

Bringerof_D wrote:ps: Hanako's pose over the pool table is oddly very arousing. i'd be willing to say that is her most attractive cg.
This.
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

Nyarly wrote:
Bringerof_D wrote:ps: Hanako's pose over the pool table is oddly very arousing. i'd be willing to say that is her most attractive cg.
This.
Have you guys seen Lilly's red cheongsam picture and just refused to acknowledge her hotness, or did you just somehow miss it?

Hanako in her hat during the billboard match = ultra cute, hot
Lilly in her red cheongsam = overkill.
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune
Nyarly

Post by Nyarly »

Don't get me wrong, I love Lilly in that cheongsam and wish there were more scenes with it.

But: Hanako > Lilly

I just think that Hanako is more beautiful than Lilly, even though Lilly is played up as beautiful and elegant while Hanako is more played up as cute, huggable and vulnerable (even though it's a trap).

But I kinda want to see Hanako in that cheongsam now.
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

Nyarly wrote: 1. But: Hanako > Lilly
(...)
2. But I kinda want to see Hanako in that cheongsam now.
1. You're wrong :D But we can agree to disagree :P

2. That wouldn't be half bad, although I guess such openness wouldn't suit Hanako's style, with her always covering everything up and stuff.
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

Seriously guys, you cant claim one to be better than the other, its like saying pizza tastes better than burgers (:
(while you can say: "I like pizza more" You should never say: "Pizza is better")
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

charmisokay wrote:Seriously guys, you cant claim one to be better than the other, its like saying pizza tastes better than burgers (:
(while you can say: "I like pizza more" You should never say: "Pizza is better")
"Des gustibus non est disputandum"

Still, when we feel about something strongly, we have to object against saying it isn't the truth.
Like I can't agree anything any girl in game pulls off can be better than Lilly's red cheongsam (and Lilly isn't even the girl that has a trait which is "fetish fuel" for me), and Hanako fans have their own opinions on girls' attractiveness, overall or in the specific moments.