The Hanako Thread - Spoilers, obviously

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

newnar

Re: The Hanako Thread - Spoilers, obviously

Post by newnar »

Omurice wrote:Just finished the Hanako arc.

OWFU-

Why is his hand so big?
Omurice

Post by Omurice »

newnar wrote:
Why is his hand so big?
No idea. It's the artist's fault.

On the other hand, my hands are big, but enough about that.
Vespi

Post by Vespi »

After finally getting a chance to play (RL has made me put it on hold for a long time now) I have to say Hanako's path is my favorite. Got her path on the first play through and it was amazing but felt short. I mean I know the major obstacle in her story was gotten over (as proven by the muffin scene), but something after that would have been nice, or how Lilly responds to a changed Hanako and her relationship with Hisao. Though playing through Lilly's story I'd imagine it'd go much like that but with Hisao more involved and maybe taking that trip together.

All in all I'd have to say "Bravo" to the 4LS team, This creation is a beautiful gem.
Brodoin

Post by Brodoin »

I finished my first play of the game with Hanako, and it drew my emotions more than I thought anything could. Nothing I've ever played, watched, or read has caused me to feel so strongly before. I can still feel it in my stomach, like butterflies. I enjoyed it, I loved it.

I've never played a visual novel before. I just downloaded this because some a gaming forum I go on had some people saying good things about it, and a lot of people seemed to like it when I Googled it, so I thought I'd give it a try. Now that I finished Hanako, I just don't know what to do. I feel so emotional right now that just a sad song could open the floodgates in my eyes, so to speak. I love Hanako's story, and I love Hanako.

But I can't explain why I feel so strongly right now.

Is it because I feel bad that I want to do the other stories, but I want to be with Hanako still?

Because I feel that I might view any relationships I'm in with myself as a knight protecting a princess, and like Hisao made the mistake of doing?

Do I wish Hanako was real?

Am I jus t sad that her story is over?

I don't know. All I know is the story has touched me more than any I can remember. I want to do the other girls' stories, but I'm either going to have to force myself or wait a little bit.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Brodoin wrote: But I can't explain why I feel so strongly right now.

Is it because I feel bad that I want to do the other stories, but I want to be with Hanako still?

Because I feel that I might view any relationships I'm in with myself as a knight protecting a princess, and like Hisao made the mistake of doing?

Do I wish Hanako was real?

Am I just sad that her story is over?
All the heroines are pretty realistic characters and Hanako is no exception. There's usually that one route in this game where you relate so strongly that you suffer.
Brodoin wrote:I don't know. All I know is the story has touched me more than any I can remember. I want to do the other girls' stories, but I'm either going to have to force myself or wait a little bit.
A lot of people feel the same way you do (There are people who have experienced full blown mental breakdowns and didn't want to do the another girl's route.) Just rest for a little bit. The best way to deal with these feels is time. None of the routes are exactly the same, so you probably won't get as strong as a reaction though. Just be sure not to do Lilly's route next.
Brodoin

Post by Brodoin »

I started doing Lilly's route. I went back to the part where you choose to go for her or Hanako and got as far as Act 2, but then I came on here and people said to do it last, so I stopped and now I'm doing Emi's... Or I started it, at least, and will continue as soon as I'm willing.

I have a feeling I'll like Lilly's route, and probably all the others, but Hanako is probably going to remain the strongest for me. I think I just felt I can somewhat relate to her. I don't have many physical scars, just a few from an operation and one on my face from when I was little. But I feel I can relate to putting up a wall around people. I'm not afraid to talk to people. I'm shy, but nowhere near as shy as Hanako. But, at the same time, when I finished her story I think it made me realize that I do build walls around people. I don't show much emotion, and when I do, it's not to the point where I might feel it. Like I might love somebody, but I just can't show it. I might say it, but it does not have the feeling I feel inside behind it. I don't block myself from feeling emotions, but I block others from seeing them.

I don't know. I've never really had a moment in my life that scarred me emotionally to the point where you'd think it'd be normal to build walls, but I still do. I think that's why I liked her story so much. I love her character, and she's in my top 5 favourte of any character I've seen in books, manga, movies, games, anime... And I think her story made me realize something about myself.
Hadokant

Post by Hadokant »

I did hanako's route first

Good: I cried like a baby but was way too short IMO

Normal: I cried that she couldn't open up to anyone

Bad: I was litearly screaming at Hisao and as soon as i saw her anger face i started to scream out of anger and once it got to the credits i was crying and punching my bed
"Being Human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless, and finding happiness in a world that hates it"
-Tenmyouji
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Hadokant wrote:I did hanako's route first

Bad: I was litearly screaming at Hisao and as soon as i saw her anger face i started to scream out of anger and once it got to the credits i was crying and punching my bed
I laugh. I laugh at you.
Maakasu_Taihaku

Post by Maakasu_Taihaku »

I LOVE HANAKO!

just saying....
Hanako....can't stop thinking about her.....
Gamera Ramen

Post by Gamera Ramen »

I played through Hanako's route again last night, got good end.
The H-scene was difficult to read, both due to the awkwardness and the proximity of genitalia to the textbox.
The ending was rather abrupt. This route felt shortest of all to me. Anyone else get that feeling? Especially compared to Lilly's route, it would have been great to see the events with more of a Hisao/Hanako relationship than Hisao/Lilly and how she grew as a person.
Very little of it, not even the end, really hit me too deep when I was playing.
A bit after I woke up this morning, I suddenly shed 2 tears with no warning.
It took 9 hours, but I shed tears over Hanako. She's the first one, even though I've played through her route before.

This seems like a good of time as any to bring up the line "Change even sorrow into strength!", from the opening of Ultraman Max, of all things.
Also some of the lyrics from an English version of Ultraman Tiga's opening seem to fit here:
"I tried to remember the season of love;
I tried to remain in your soul.
I don't want to lose you, you know what I mean,
I want to declare my love!"
Hellcat wrote:Hanako as a guest appearance for Marvel Vs Capcom 4, make it happen.
TheHivemind wrote:(the amount of time I spent reading really shitty fanfiction as a direct result of needing more ways to describe sticking a dick in a butt is, at this point, incalculable).
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Gamera Ramen wrote:The ending was rather abrupt. This route felt shortest of all to me. Anyone else get that feeling?
It's not an illusion: Hanako's route is definitely the shortest, by a number of metrics.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Mugendai

Post by Mugendai »

I'm not going to deny that I shed quite a few (manly) tears for Hanako during and after her route. I also thought the ending was fairly abrupt, and wanted to see more, but the more I think about it, an ending was necessary then, particularly if you compare it to how the other routes (Emi's and Rin's at least) end. It had the necessary resolution, and so Hisao's and Hanako's story was done there.

An epilogue or some sort of continuance would be very nice, though, and I ought to check out the other stories in the fanfiction section.

As for their relationship, it wasn't the best one to begin with, and it resulted in some very awkward sex, but I like to think they have a better, lasting relationship after the ending. Both Hisao and Hanako made some mistakes, but then again, nobody else is perfect either.
Completed routes in order: Emi, Kenji, Hanako, Rin