The Hanako Thread - Spoilers, obviously

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Snelx

Re: The Hanako Thread - Spoilers, obviously

Post by Snelx »

Zeke wrote: Which was a real shame...should've kept the best for the last eh? 'cause now I don't exactly feel like 'playing' the other paths and the completionist in me is banging his head against a wall.
that is what happened to me as well. for a period of time i cannot play lol.
Until i'm so curious to check how well Hanako will do in Lilly's route.

Beware that there are times in Lilly route, where you will feel like you are 2-timing Hanako.
Her stares kills me :?
It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......
If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure.

- Rykn

華子 - Hanako - 'flower girl'
Harco

Post by Harco »

So I was replaying a few scenes from Hanako's route, and suddenly I stumbled upon this:

(Clickable)

She looks so cute!

Ah, but what the hell am I doing? I should just play her entire route again. <3 I need study the details for future fanfictions anyway.
Snelx

Post by Snelx »

Harco wrote:So I was replaying a few scenes from Hanako's route, and suddenly I stumbled upon this:

(Clickable)

She looks so cute!

Ah, but what the hell am I doing? I should just play her entire route again. <3 I need study the details for future fanfictions anyway.
That picture just make my day :)
It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......
If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure.

- Rykn

華子 - Hanako - 'flower girl'

Post by Guest »

Hisao really pisses me off in Hanako's bad ending. So pushy!
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

That was kind of the point of the whole scene...to illustrate that Hisao completely and irreversably succumbed to his self-imposed White Knight role without realizing how condescending he comes across.
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

The one regret (Pretty huge one actually) I have with Hanako's route is not getting the chance to hear her sing. Of course they said that there would be no voice acting for this VN, but I was hoping to hear a unique tune only for Hanako (In addition to her theme song), along with some readable scenes that mentioned it.

The lesser regret would be that I feel that Hanako's story ended rather abruptly, and could use an epilogue or extension to its ending, such as the oh-so-classic-but-wondrous insight to their future. It looked more like an attempt to rival Lily's ending, and while Lily's one felt right, this one felt lacking which was rather regrettable.

On a side note, Hanako's pool CG was the sexiest picture in KS, no doubt about it. Absolutely gorgeous.
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

Snelx wrote:
Rivan wrote: I'll read it once I finish Hanako's route. I have no doubt Hisao's presence has a meaning, and a big one at that.

But Hisao is also present, although in a different way, in Lilly's route, and because Hanako tries actively on her own to give Hisao and Lilly some space, that fact itself may also work as some sort of a force pushing her towards opening up to others.

Hisao's presence is vital in both ways, but it seems to work slower and in a different way in Hanako's route. HOWEVER, I am saying that from the perspective of a person who hasn't finished Hanako's route yet.
Faster finish Hanako's path! :lol:

I think Hanako does fall in love with Hisao, even in Lilly's path.
In Lilly's path, at one of the tea party sceen, Hanako mentioned she doesn't mind if being seen by Hisao in her pajamas. (nosebleed).

She doesn't feels the need to change when she is with Lilly.

But when Hisao come into the picture,
she feels that 'even Hisao is treating me the same as Lilly'
that is why she gets weird ideas. (DO NOT see if you have not finish Hanako's path ->weird ideas about being broken person, and needs protection.)

Hence, deciding to buck up and slowly change herself.

PS: The timeline of KS in Lilly paths, is set in slightly more towards the future, compared to the timeline in Hanako path.
Hence more time for Hanako to grow.
I'd like to finish quicker, but alas, I can't. Both my own emotional investment into Lilly's route and my studies drastically slow down my progress in KS paths, even those I'd like to complete.

It's possible that Hanako feels someway differently about Hisao even in Lilly's path, but those emotions are nowhere nearly as strong as in her own and may simply come from the fact that Hisao is probably the first guys since she hit puberty that treats her right. Similarly, Hisao shows strong signs of finding Lilly attractive in Hanako's path, but since he just doesn't feel about her the way he seems to think he feels about Hanako, he does not pursue her.

I've seen the class breakdown scene yesterday and I have to say, it is quite disturbing especially since I can somewhat identify with Hanako at that point. I had two moments of utter breakdown at school in my life and I handled neither well. One was my overt anger bursting on everyone (only time I ever initiated not one, but three school fights on my own). Other was soon after, but this time, I simply turned of similarly to the way Hanako did.

But not to that extent. "Cold Iron" playing didn't help either. It seems her mental scars and still fresh wounds lie deep and it's good Mutou reacted so well.
Poor Hanako, I'm surprised Mischa didn't try to give her a hug :P.
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune

Post by Guest »

While Hanako's route seems to end right as their relationship is getting truly started, I felt it was the perfect place to end it, leaving what happens next up to the reader's imagination. However, a reasonable guess about Hanako's future can be made based on how she changes in Lilly's route (some Lilly route spoilers follow)

Hanako becomes less antisocial, joins a club, makes friends on her own, and in the end goes on a trip around the country with her new friends.
While this doesn't give much about Hisao and Hanako's relationship, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that something similar happens, except maybe Hisao joins the newspaper club as well, and is a part of their summer trip.
Nyarly

Post by Nyarly »

Hanako's route is the first (and so far only, but I'll probably finish Lilly's soon) route I finished (on the good end). I couldn't really bring myself to try to go for the bad end, though (although I kinda know what happens there).

I have to agree that it ends pretty early and I would have liked to see more too (although I would have probably felt that way anyway, no matter how long it is). But it's a good point to end it and I really liked the ending. An important part of the route is Hisao's inability to understand her (and vice versa), which he laments quite often. When it's finally clear what she really thinks, about the treatment Hisao (and Lilly) gives her and misunderstandings are resolved, the story is pretty much finished. Sure, it would have been nice to see more what happens afterwards, but I guess that would have been. Some kind epilogue would have been good though...

Anyway, I really liked it. It was very interesting pretty sweet and occasionally very depressing (one word: birthday), but that made the end all the more sweeter. I was actually close to tears at two points in the story, when Hisao and Lilly visited her after her shock, when Hisao mentioned her birthday in the class, and at the end when Hanako broke down, which doesn't happen often (I think the last thing that did this was the Tsumihoroboshi arc of Higurashi). And it gave me new appreciation for Hanako, who is much stronger than I initially thought (and whose smile I never tire of). Also, she looked quite sexy in the cg of the billiard scene.

When I think about it, it makes a lot of sense that Hanako feels that way about other people being overprotective to her. Otherwise, it would clash with the theme of KS.

I don't mind the sex scene. It was very awkward but that was obviously intentional. Especially with what happens afterwards, which makes it REALLY awkward.

And smashed Hanako was quite funny.
Frwell

Post by Frwell »

Wow.
Just Wow.
You know, i thought it will be a cute story at first but Hanako's path was an unbelivevable (and unexpected from a VN) emotional rollercoaster.
Her path is really well written, characters' behaviors could not be more realistic. I've never felt so moved by a video game, book or even movie.
And I almost forgot my girlfriend for Hanako for a moment ! Ahah !

My english is not that good so i won't go any further (and most posts before me have already said exactly how i feel about this) but i just want to add : thank you 4Leaf for all the work you did on this VN.

EDIT :

Oh God, i also forgot, the music was amazing.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

When it's finally clear what she really thinks, about the treatment Hisao (and Lilly) gives her and misunderstandings are resolved, the story is pretty much finished.
What's kinda sad is that Hanako mistakes Lilly's doting behavior for pity, while Lilly tends to mother every person she feels close to (including Akira who can't exactly be called a woobie) and who has a lot more faith in Hanako than the former is aware of. There's something ironic about the fact the 2 girls who are the least close to one another (Emi and Rin) are also the only pair whose relationship is 100% honest.
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

THIS is the epilogue I want. Still feel rather disappointed but eh...
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
dragonfi

Post by dragonfi »

Xuan wrote:Image

THIS is the epilogue I want. Still feel rather disappointed but eh...
This is the epilogue you have then. I think this is the whole point, you can imagine it for yourself.

Of course, I understand what you feel, a happy Hanako epilogue could have been nice, even if it's practically just a photo-album. Then again, if you consider that this image is from the Fragments of Summer art-book, I think it's a safe assumption that this is as close to a canon epilogue as you can get.

By the way, here's another piece of D'AWWW:
[shimmie]2440[/shimmie]
sleepingfox

Post by sleepingfox »

wish i had the money to get those art books, but im poor : p lol
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I just finished the Hanako path.

My compliments - brilliantly written. But there's a problem now.

I want more! I want to see what happens past that kiss and how they progress together.

Perhaps I'm just being greedy, but I felt like Hanako's story, while ending on a happy note, was missing some scenes of her and Hisao enjoying their new relationship together.