The desire for hentai scenes

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Yubiseiharukana

Re: The desire for hentai scenes

Post by Yubiseiharukana »

Brogurt wrote:
Yubiseiharukana wrote:Anyone else feel a strong chocolate fetish now?
I hope you're not being serious here.
I'm not, if that makes you feel better :lol: . I'm very much so looking forward to the main plot of Katawa Shoujo, I'm just saying that at first I really could care less about the H-scenes, but now I actually am wanting to view them.
Arraxis wrote:I'm not really interested in the H-scenes, and in the few VNs I've played they've done nothing except disgust me and detract from the story
It's sad how true that is, the only VNs I've played where the H-scenes were handled tastefully were... hmm... well... I'm not sure. I can only think of H-scenes that didn't really add or detract value from the plot. And even those are in the minority.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."
- Emo Philips
Aurinko

Post by Aurinko »

I don't want to completely skip the H scenes because I don't want to miss out on anything plot-relevant, but I don't want to see the pron CGs (the chances of them NOT being idiotic are so slim that I'm not even going to take the risk), so I'll probably just use a taskbar manager window to block them from view. Though I might not bother going through that trouble and just disable those scenes completely, depending on how I lazy I am on the day the game is released.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

O ye of little faith. I don't think the devs would settle for anything less than exceptional when it comes to the h-scenes. Why would they be of a lower quality than other parts of the game?
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

G3n0c1de wrote:O ye of little faith. I don't think the devs would settle for anything less than exceptional when it comes to the h-scenes. Why would they be of a lower quality than other parts of the game?
>say things like this
>get your hopes up
>be proven wrong
>come crashing down
>on the verge of suicide
>and the only thing
>keeping you from going over the edge
>is the belief
>that love doesn't exist in the afterlife
Roy-Kr

Post by Roy-Kr »

G3n0c1de wrote:Why would they be of a lower quality than other parts of the game?
For the same reason sex scenes are of lower quality in other VNs: They're just sex scenes and and I'm not missing out on story or character development by mashing through it.

I'm not saying they're doomed to be bad; just that the idea itself is not my cup of tea.
The most I've ever gotten out of a VN sex scene is "lol, Nippon"

I'm not gonna skip the ero completely since there's always a chance of something hilarious showing up. Skimming the text for keywords will be good enough though.
Hamachi ID: Melty Blood EU
Password: sugoisugoi
Worthington

Post by Worthington »

Ehn, I honestly don't care if the game throws blatant fap-material in there as long as the rest of the game is good. Kind of like the sax scenes in BioWare games; completely unnecessary fan-service, but doesn't detract from the package. Besides, everyone needs a good tugging now and again, and it'd be nice having a stash wherein I feel some emotional attachment whilst I beat my meat.
Got my feet in the air and my head on the ground.

Kenji=Rin>Akira>Hideaki>Hachisame>Lilly>Takashi>Miki>Emi>Nurse>Misha>Mutou>Shizune>Yuuko>Nomiya>Hanako

Worthington's Wondrous Writeshop
Magnesium Ninja Studios
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

H scenes in ALL H games i played so far are mostly the same thing .... I love to see more of a softer love making H scene then the animal lust, one and cum type of H scenes most H games have
Red_Machine

Post by Red_Machine »

I used to be into H-scenes when I was younger, but now I've kinda matured enough to consider sex in any media to be pretty pointless if it doesn't contribute to the story. But from what I've heard, it DOES contribute to the story in KS.
Hanako>Misha>Emi>Lilly>Shizune>Rin
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

My anticipation list:

1) Why on earth is Misha there?
2) Is there anything more than clashing personalities to the feud between Shizzy and Lils?
3) Will Kenji mellow out or snap and go off the deep end as the game proceeds?
4) Is Rin really the love child of an alien and a time travelling android on crack?
5) Who and what the heck is Hideaki?
6) What will Yuuko's role in the remaining acts be?
.)
.)
.)
50) What will the H-scenes be like?
Why would they be of a lower quality than other parts of the game?
'cause they're difficult to write, according to even the devs themselves. I will admit, if the H-scenes turn out to be significantly different from the standard high school VN-fare during my first time through the game, I'll be a lot more eager to see how they've handled them in other routes.

Like lots of people said, H-scenes in many VN's suffer from the fact that they're H-scenes and are even more prone to cliché's than normal scenes. In most VN's I've played, consensual intercourse goes like this:

(CG of girl kissing boy, sometimes this involves the girl kissing the fourth wall if the CG is meant to be seen through the protagonist's POV)

(CG of boy kissing/stroking girl's chest)
- Mandatory remark from boy about the girl's size/softness.
- Mandatory embarassed reply from girl. "Baka" is included for good measure if girl in question is of the tsundere archetype.

(CG of foreplay)
- Usually it's the boy who gets the size-remark here, although this time no embarassed reaction is given.

(CG of girl having intercourse, often with boy's disembodied member)
- If this is girl's first time, some blood must be shown and girl must feel discomfort for at least 2, but preferably no more than 10 lines of text after which she can go as crazy as she likes.
- Girl will shout it's hot.
- Girl will scream it's big.
- Girl will shout it's hitting her cervix.
- Boy will describe how his member is being crushed.
- Girl will describe every action in awkward detail.
- Impeding mutual orgasm is announced.
- If VN is voiced, cue the kind of scream most human beings only make when being hit by a taser gun.
- If boy pulls out in time, cue exagerrated amount of semen.
- If boy doesn't pull out, cue girl's "safe day" remark.

Okay, obviously I'm exaggerating a bit here, but I do feel that when you've played several VN's, H-scenes often start becoming predictable to the point of almost appearing to be "stock material".

With that being said, right now I'm still having the expectation that, the devs being familiar with VN's and VN tropes themselves, they'll be genre savvy enough not to make things too clichéd.
dragonfi

Post by dragonfi »

Well, I think it's a good thing that most of the posters are afraid of the chance that the H-scenes may be badly written.
I'm not too well-versed in H material (be it VN or animation), but my impression is similar to the above posters.

I do believe it's possible to do in a tasteful and meaningful way, and judging by the quality of Act 1, I'm sure the devs wouldn't give up easily on the quality of the H-scenes either. Also, the H-senes in commercial VN-s are sometimes just a marketing feature, thus they are more like an afterthought. Since KS is non-commercial, the devs have a headstart at least in this matter.

There is precedent of something H going right (of course, your milage may vary), I would refer to the Living With Monster Girl doujin comics (link is safe for work, the comic is not, but in a cute way. In it's entirety it's ~12-14 separate pages.).(And I still don't believe I'm positing this. Well, I have faith that KS fans are more open-minded abut stuff like this.)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'm not sure the warnings are strictly necessary, you wouldn't browse this forum if you would be in danger of NSFW consequences... :P
Worthington

Post by Worthington »

dragonfi wrote: EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'm not sure the warnings are strictly necessary, you wouldn't browse this forum if you would be in danger of NSFW consequences... :P
Yeah you would. The forums themselves are mostly SFW (if you don't count text). The Shimmie is a different matter.
Got my feet in the air and my head on the ground.

Kenji=Rin>Akira>Hideaki>Hachisame>Lilly>Takashi>Miki>Emi>Nurse>Misha>Mutou>Shizune>Yuuko>Nomiya>Hanako

Worthington's Wondrous Writeshop
Magnesium Ninja Studios
Yubiseiharukana

Post by Yubiseiharukana »

Worthington wrote:
dragonfi wrote: EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'm not sure the warnings are strictly necessary, you wouldn't browse this forum if you would be in danger of NSFW consequences... :P
Yeah you would. The forums themselves are mostly SFW (if you don't count text). The Shimmie is a different matter.
I think he's saying you wouldn't browse a topic that was titled "The desire for H-scenes" if you minded NSFW material.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."
- Emo Philips
blackrising

Post by blackrising »

Actually, the more I care for the characters, the less I want to see h-scenes. Mostly because they tend to ruin my respect for them. The sex in VNs is so obviously geared towards men that I, as a woman, often find myself unable to enjoy any of it.
Seriously, constant remarks like "Oh, you're so big!", "No, it's dirty down there!", "I want to please you, Oniichan!" and whatnot, which seems to be the standard in hentai, kind of kill the mood.
For example: Fate/Stay Night. Great story with lots of tension and excitement. Then suddenly a completly unnecassary sex scene gets slapped in your face with the male - of course - being the centre of attention. Maybe it would have bugged me less if I didn't hate Shirou's guts.

But since I trust the devs not to make me feel like punching Hisao in the crotch and hopefully use the sex scenes to enhance the story instead of interrupting it, I'm looking forward to it. The plot is still what I care for most, though.
Misha worshipper to the core. WAHAHAHA~

Misha>Rin=Hanako=Lilly>>Shizune>Emi

Since I was no bigger than a weavil they've been saying I was evil
That if "bad" was a boot that I'd fit it
That I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately
O fuck it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
dragonfi

Post by dragonfi »

Yubiseiharukana wrote: I think he's saying you wouldn't browse a topic that was titled "The desire for H-scenes" if you minded NSFW material.
Yes.

Still, it's always better to be on the safe side, of course. (You know that you are in a sawmill, but that's no reason not to put warnings signs on the hazardous implements.)
blackrising wrote: Actually, the more I care for the characters, the less I want to see h-scenes. Mostly because they tend to ruin my respect for them. The sex in VNs is so obviously geared towards men that I, as a woman, often find myself unable to enjoy any of it.
Seriously, constant remarks like "Oh, you're so big!", "No, it's dirty down there!", "I want to please you, Oniichan!" and whatnot, which seems to be the standard in hentai, kind of kill the mood.
Same here, and that's something considering that I'm a guy. [sarcasm] I don't know if it's just something wrong with me, but I, prersonally never fantasized about girls saying to me in bed that "You're so big!". [/sarcasm] Actually, I usually do better with only my imagination. I doubt it would be hard to create unique and good H-scenes if someone is willing to put in the effort and creativity.

Actually, it's an interesting problem, creating an Eroge that can be enjoyed by a sexually diverse demography.

On the caring vs. hentai scenes department, I've seen an erotic picture of Hanako and that just felt wrong, then I pointed out to myself that "Dood, it's an eroge, and we both know that you will play the Hanako route first." (I have seen exchanges to the same effect in the forumes/shimmie too.)
Drkstrm

Post by Drkstrm »

blackrising wrote:Actually, the more I care for the characters, the less I want to see h-scenes. Mostly because they tend to ruin my respect for them. The sex in VNs is so obviously geared towards men that I, as a woman, often find myself unable to enjoy any of it.
For example: Fate/Stay Night. Great story with lots of tension and excitement. Then suddenly a completly unnecassary sex scene gets slapped in your face with the male - of course - being the centre of attention. Maybe it would have bugged me less if I didn't hate Shirou's guts.

But since I trust the devs not to make me feel like punching Hisao in the crotch and hopefully use the sex scenes to enhance the story instead of interrupting it, I'm looking forward to it. The plot is still what I care for most, though.
You don't have to be female to agree with every point here. Most sex scenes can be glossed over with an extremely brief summary. The only ones that aren't are the ones that spatter extremely minor plot details part way. This means that the summary needs to be doubled in length. So... Four sentences...